• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trying to make my first competitive team (Rain Dance)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 12, 2023
Hi! I'm trying to make my first competitive team, specifically themed to be a Rain Dance team. Usually my playstyle is to have tanky pokemon and stall through the game with status effects so I'm not so sure how to make something that's really offensive. Any suggestions for pokemon or teams on their own would be much appreciated thank you so much!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
First place to start would be to pick your rainmaker, though you only have 3 choices: Politoed, Pelipper, and Kyogre. Kyogre is banned in a lot of formats though so it's safer to go with the frog or the bird.

From there you can start picking out the rest of the team. Stuff that benefits from the rain is obviously what you want to pick. Mega Swampert makes for a pretty nice rain sweeper, so I'd recommend that. Electric, Grass, and Steel types are a common sight on rain teams since Electric types get 100% accuracy Thunder in the rain and can potentially beat a lot of the Water types on the opposing team that might try to tank your Water types, while Grass and Steel types like it that Fire is less effective while the rain is up.

What are you playing on btw, 3DS or Showdown? And singles or doubles?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd like to add that Pelipper is generally the better pick over Politoed because it has a slow U-turn to get your switch ins safely as well as Roost to keep itself healthy.

Years
Pelipper also has access to Roost and Hurricane which further set it apart from Politoed giving it a powerful 100% STAB and reliable recovery.

Back