• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Whispers of the Past: PokeCommunity History Club

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Not too knowledgeable on the topic at hand but if modern day organized crime is any indication, nothing goes down, at least with respect to a hit job, without the Boss knowing and giving the green light to do it.

You do have a point, but one of the victims didn't say who did it right before he died, so we can't know for sure whether it was coordinated with Capone.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Refusing to say who it was was likely out of fear or honoring a code among gangsters of not "snitching" to the Police. I'm leaning towards not snitching and self preservation because if they snitched, their life was forfeit due to the fact no one would be able to trust them and trust is a valuable commodity in Organized Crime. Even if the person survived their injuries, they wouldn't have lasted long.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Refusing to say who it was was likely out of fear or honoring a code among gangsters of not "snitching" to the Police. I'm leaning towards not snitching and self preservation because if they snitched, their life was forfeit due to the fact no one would be able to trust them and trust is a valuable commodity in Organized Crime. Even if the person survived their injuries, they wouldn't have lasted long.

You kind of have a point there, plus there was open bribery of the police at the time, mainly due to alcohol prohibition, so it is possible that even if the person survived for a while after the event, the cops wouldn't do much about since they most likely would've been bribed.

Years
I found a list of some of the craziest pieces of fashion throughout recorded history. Naturally, I had to share these agonizing ordeals with the history club! If you visit the link do tell me which do you think is the most horrible? I say it be the lotus shoes hands down! The thought of them has always sent chills down my spine.

Also if you HAD to wear one then which do you put on? I guess I would go with those really long sleeves from the dark ages, bliaut or something or other.

https://m.ranker.com/list/crazy-fashion-trends-from-history/lisa-waugh

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I found a list of some of the craziest pieces of fashion throughout recorded history. Naturally, I had to share these agonizing ordeals with the history club! If you visit the link do tell me which do you think is the most horrible? I say it be the lotus shoes hands down! The thought of them has always sent chills down my spine.

Also if you HAD to wear one then which do you put on? I guess I would go with those really long sleeves from the dark ages, bliaut or something or other.

https://m.ranker.com/list/crazy-fashion-trends-from-history/lisa-waugh

If I had to wear one of these (and still get through a door), I would wear the corset, since it slims me down a bit (have some rather embarrassing flab that I've been working to improve).

Years
I think the appearance of the corset is quite cute. I think some of the photographs preserved of women from the day is just enchanting! But my, my, they seem like they would feel uncomfortable!

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Women's History Month

As many of you know, March is not only Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day, but it is also Women's History Month. During this time, I will shine a spotlight from today until March 31st on female historical figures throughout history.

Today's Spotlight: Ida B. Wells

Everyone knows the story of Rosa Parks, but what if I told you that a similar story happened to a woman decades before on a train? That woman would be Ida B. Wells, a woman who had helped to found NAACP and risked her life to expose the horrific practice of lynching within the United States.

Wells had worked from the age of 16 when her parents had died from Yellow Fever to keep her siblings from becoming wards of the state. When she was thrown from the train where she had refused to give up her seat for a white passenger, she had sued the train company and won. After the lynching of her friend, Tommie Moss over a game of marbles which had caused an exodus of African Americans from Mephis (Wells stayed and purchased a firearm), she felt it was about time to expose the true horrors of lynching. Out of this came a pamphlet titled Southern Horrors which had debunked the idea that lynchings were in revenge for rape, but instead stated that the motives for lynching could be for something that is rather innocuous today as interracial couples.

It is evident that this pamphlet had enraged people when a mob had burned the headquarters of her newspaper to the ground and threatened to kill her if she should return to Memphis. Not wanting to spark a race riot, she had never returned for Memphis and continued working to expose lynching for the next fourty years of her life, in one instance, pretending to be a widow and family of the victim for better access.

Wells had died at the age of 68, her autobiography unfinished.

Stay tuned for a new spotlight every day of March!

Years
I have been very curious about Andean civilization of late. I was previously more familiar with Mesoamerican civilization through the mythology of the Mayans and Aztecs, however I have recently been reading about the Incas and I want to continue to learn about the Andes. I think I have found a new favorite period of history as I begin to research the Land of the Four Quarters/ The Inca Empire! If anyone has any reading material to recommend about their culture prior to Pisaro then I'd love some help finding out more about their world, epecially their religion.

I know they used elaborate mumificiation processes for starters. I believe they also passed on their history and religion through oral traditions from music to reciting poems, rather than a writing system, and sadly so much of their traditions have gotten lost for posterity since the Spanish invaded them.

The Incas seemed to be a visionary society in many ways from what I can however, with highways and food storage systems with freeze drying processes.

They also came across to me as rather dipplomatic. They expanded their empire with a grand army, but would temper battle with negotiations, trade and made efforts to assimilate with their neighbors.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
(Sorry for being inactive with school and whatnot)

So, yesterday was National Paranormal Day. A day for all things spooky and scary. So, being a club dedicated to history, I have a question for the members.

Do you live near a haunted historical place? Detail your experiences, if comfortable enough. If you don't live near a haunted historical place, did you visit one? If so, detail your experience.

In regards to living close to one, my High School was about a five minute drive from Bushy Run (French and Indian War Battlefield for non-American members). I had never experienced anything there, but I did visit Gettysburg multiple times, mainly because I had family close to it. I never had anything too crazy happen while down there, but I will let you in on one experience. I was running one of those ghost hunting apps and I had a navy blue sweatshirt on for some college (important detail for later). I don't really remember the name of the guy I was talking to, so I'll just call him Tom. I don't really much about Tom's backstory except for a few things. For one, Tom said that he was from Buffalo, NY and had asked me for bread (most likely a case of mistaken identity due to my sweatshirt). Tom was a nice guy though, and didn't really follow me home.

Years
I've never been to any haunted historical site! Although I know that there are a plethora in my city and I'd like to go to one. (I must admit I've been way too afraid to go anywhere near a haunted house!)

main-qimg-b1ea210074ea244aedc37d4dd4e26cf1

Last edited:

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYw52Gs3pss

Yesterday, I had found a video from a favorite YouTuber of mine, Rachel Oates. The video describes that life of a woman in Ancient Greece known as Hypatia, a woman who was known for describing complex topics such as science and philosophy in simple terms to the general public, along with her personal thoughts on her.

What are your thoughts on Hypatia? I think that she was a wonderful woman who is unfortunately forgotten to history.

Edit: You will have to click the link since playback isn't working for some reason)

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYw52Gs3pss

Yesterday, I had found a video from a favorite YouTuber of mine, Rachel Oates. The video describes that life of a woman in Ancient Greece known as Hypatia, a woman who was known for describing complex topics such as science and philosophy in simple terms to the general public, along with her personal thoughts on her.

What are your thoughts on Hypatia? I think that she was a wonderful woman who is unfortunately forgotten to history.

Edit: You will have to click the link since playback isn't working for some reason)

This help? As for the video, its certainly eye raising. When I was learning Ancient Greece, she certainly didn't come up(be it 5th/6th Grade or 10th Grade World History).

Last edited:

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years

This help? As for the video, its certainly eye raising. When I was learning Ancient Greece, she certainly didn't come up(be it 5th/6th Grade or 10th Grade World History).

Yes. For some reason, it didn't work for me for some reason. :p As for the content, I had never really heard of her in any history for philosophy courses until I saw her video. Certainly a unique person that should be known by more people.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yes. For some reason, it didn't work for me for some reason. :p As for the content, I had never really heard of her in any history for philosophy courses until I saw her video. Certainly a unique person that should be known by more people.

When linking to youtube videos, you can use the Youtube tags and then copy what comes after the "=" or in your video's case : fYw52Gs3pss. That'll basically embed the video into your post for others to see.

Years
This is an interesting website I discovered called Mad Monarchs. It catalogs royals throughout history who exhibited outrageous behavior, it features kings, queens, princes, emperors, tsars, shahs and more.

http://madmonarchs.guusbeltman.nl/madmonarchs/madmon.htm

One of the figures I found interesting to read about was the 17th century Korean Prince Sado, who would come to be known as the "Rice Box" prince. I wasn't previously familiar with this historical figure, but was intrigued by the name. He had a vicious temper and killed many people in his madness. He is also a tragic figure because he started out as a hardworking, studious, shy child who would have done anything to have the love and approval of his parents. It was sad watching him slowly spiral out of control into this delusional, obsessive, violent person. I think his father's incessant psychological abuse sent him over the edge, and under better circumstances he may not have turned out bad.

Years
Hi Guys,

TheGhostHunter and I have agreed to trade clubs. She's the owner of the Dollhouse right now, and I am going to carry on with the history club the best I can in her stead for the time being.

A question for members I have this month that is, If you were to be sent back in time, where would you like to go?

This is one I had to think on for some time. There are many times and places that I enjoy reading about, yet I would probably not last in said time and place for one day.

I have considered a number of cultures and think I will take my chances in ancient Greece, but not just anywhere or time, I want to go to Mycenae prior to the Dorian invasions, referably as an aristocrat. Mycenae has been on my mind a lot lately because I am writing about the Trojan war, and this is where King Agamemnon was from in myth.

We know from the excavated weapons that the Myceneans were warrior people, which I am not keen on, but they also had art and music, theater, fashion, games, complex language, sports matches to watch, fertile lands and gold, delicious food, trade, there were houses with running water, pipes and draining systems, and women actually had it better there than they did in the classical era from what I had read. Women weren't kept secluded, but worked alongside men, men and women got equal food rations, women ran households, could go dancing on the river banks until dawn and often were exalted religious leaders in society. Don't get me wrong, it's still a patriarchy, but there are definitely way worse places I could end up as a girl.

QOTM: Where would YOU time travel too?

Last edited:
Years
I'm going to update for a new question of the month.

Any favorite leaders from history? Kings, presidents, revolutionaries, you name it.

I will answer the question for myself in the spoiler tag. I'd love to hear your answers?

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back