Discord Nickname General Artemisia
- Fan Games
- Fan Games
Author of Tales
ROM Hacking: Where do I start?
Mapping: The process of creating areas for the player to explore; you could create your very own region if you wanted. You can also add custom tiles to give your hack a new look!
Scripting: How you create your gameplay - NPCs, trainers on routes, Gym battles, etc are all done through scripting.
Pokémon Editing: Almost all Pokémon data is easy to change, including but not limited to movesets, abilities and evolutions. You can even add new Pokémon to your hack, from later generations or of your own creation!
Editing & Adding New Items: Maybe you'd like to add your own evolutionary stones or later generation item? Or something with a custom function?
New Features: You have the potential to add tons of new features to your hack, whether it be engine upgrades to match later games or something completely original.
Graphics Editing: As well as being able to add new tiles, you're also able to tweak other in-game graphics to your liking; e.g. trainer sprites and textboxes.
I'll go ahead and quote esperance who has explained common terms within ROM Hacking already:
Here are some links to popular tools. If you're interested in programs for NDS/3DS hacking, check out this post. You can find more tools here.
- VisualBoyAdvance/no$gba: Emulators that can run GBA ROMs.
- Lunar IPS: A patching tool. For expanded 32mb ROMs, NUPS is the best option.
- HxD: A straightforward hex editor.
- GraphicsGale: Graphics editor that can work with indexed images and GBA palettes.
- Porymap by Padz/ShantyTown/Diegoisawesome: A map editor for Pokéruby & Pokéemerald (still in its early stages but worth mentioning).
- PolishedMap by Rangi: A map editor for Pokécrystal & Pokéred.
- AdvanceMap 1.92/1.95 by LU-HO: Map editor for Gen III binary hacks.
- XSE by HackMew: The best scripting tool for Gen III binary hacks.
- THUMB Editor & Assembler by HackMew/karatekid552: Compiles ASM routines for insertion into a ROM.
- Nameless Sprite Editor by link12552: A tool for editing and inserting sprites and other graphics.
- G3T by Kurapika: This tool has several functions - editing Pokémon data, trainers and items.
- Hopeless Trainer Editor by esperance: A tool for editing trainer data.
- GBA Music Studio by Kermalis: A music editor for the Gen III games.
This is a list of recommended tutorials to get you started, although these are by no means all the guides we have! Many more tutorials covering a wide range of topics can be found here if what you are looking for isn't listed.
- Setting up and using Pokéruby/Pokéemerald by ProjectRevoTPP
- Pokécrystal for Dummies by Pia Carrot
- Mega-Huge XSE Tutorial by Diegoisawesome
- Tile Insertion For AdvanceMap by Le Pug
- Indexing Images by Avara
- Pokéball Hacking Guide by daniilS
- Basics Of Hex Editing by miksy91
- How To Insert ASM Routines by xGal
- Inserting Battle Backgrounds by DrFuji & karatekid552
- Triple Layer Tiles by Diegoisawesome
- Sideways Stairs in FireRed by Spherical Ice
- Hacking FireRed in C by FBI
- ASM Tutorial by Touched
ROM Hacking Resources
You'll find more resources for your ROM hack here.
- DS-style Pokémon Sprites
- Gen VI Pokémon Sprites
- DS-style Trainer Sprites
- Accurate FireRed Overworld Sprites
- HGSS Overworld Sprites in FR Style
- Indexed Item Icon Sprites
- The ASM Resource Thread
- Touched's Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion
- Ability & Move Resources
- Pokéred Disassembly
- Pokécrystal Disassembly
- Pokéruby Disassembly
- Pokéemerald Disassembly
#1: Keep a changelog, update it after every change you make; no matter how small. Keep it safe! In the case that you run into an annoying bug, knowing exactly which changes you've made and when will help you A) identify it and B) squash it.
Where do I go from here?
Are you new to the forums and don't quite know your way around yet? Here are some directions!
- If you're having an issue playing a ROM hack, you can check the Patching & Emulation Help Thread for a solution.
- For general chat about ROM hacks, you'll want to head over to ROM Hacking Discussion.
- Been working on a hack already and want to present it? Click here to view an example thread.
- For suggestions of hacks to play, check out the Fan Game Recommendations Thread.
- Our Launchpad is where you should post if you'd like to share your idea for a hack, or form a team.
- If you run into any problems and need to ask for advice, you are welcome to do so right here in Rom Hacking Help.