• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
anyone know a good training strategy? i am just starting and on Route 29 with a Cyndaquil level 11. anyone know what i should do as a training strategy?

Well, this thread is really only for competitive/battling/team building help and not really in-game training strategies, so your question would really belong in the help thread in the Fourth Generation forum, for next time at least.

I'll answer here, anyway. Considering you have a Cyndaquil, the best thing for you to do is spend time in both that route and the adjacent routes up until Violet City, continuing to battle everything. Level it up to about Quilava and it should be able to take on Falkner pretty easily, after that you'll have a good run up until Goldenrod basically. By that point you should be kinda overlevelled so you may be able to take on Whitney just on its own, but if not then go to the National Park and catch some bugs and train them by battling. The other thing you can do is get an exp share to train your other Pokemon, but you can't do that until you visit Lake of Rage, which is kinda far away from this point, but yeah... in-game the best way to train early on is just to battle everything you see (unless you want to ev train which you can't do properly early on anyway).

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
When I first put them in Random Matchup, it said that there was a problem with my Pokemon, so that I had to go change them so many times so they can be legal, and it said the same thing. This frustrates me alot. This is my team:

Tyranitar
Ability: Sand Stream
Holds: Leftovers
IV: 499
Moves:
Protect
Ice Beam
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Aron
Ability: Sturdy
Holds: Shell Bell
Moves:
Protect
Endeavor
Roar
Toxic
IV:369

Scizor
Holds: Life Orb
Ability: Technican
Moves:
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace
IV:510

Torterra
Ability: Overgrow
Holds: Rose Incense
Moves:
Curse
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Earthquake

Nidoqueen:
Ability: Poison Point
Holds: Quick Claw
Moves:
Earth Power
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Landorus
Ability: Sand Force
Holds: Fighting Jewel
Moves:
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Brick Break
Swords Dance
IV:502

And that I checked their IVs 10 times, their IVs are between 490 and 510. Plus I didn't place fateful encounter and that I exactly put the right info on them, their IDs, their PIDS, their natures, and their stats. I just don't know why they can't be in Random Matchup, but they allow Landorus to be in there, a lot of trainers bring one. Plus I put that Landorus is at LV 70 and that it was met at Abundant Shrine at LV 70. And this is from my forum post in In Game Team Help, but it was locked, I just don't know why.......

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2012
veterans of the game all seem to know control every aspect of the pokemon down to the iv's, my question is are these people actually putting in the effort or are they using a program? if its the latter which one?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
veterans of the game all seem to know control every aspect of the pokemon down to the iv's, my question is are these people actually putting in the effort or are they using a program? if its the latter which one?

Some people abuse RNG which does involve a program - but a lot of the work is done by yourself too. You can read about it here. Others use Action Replay, etc, but using RNG is considered the most legal. Alternatively, you can use Pokemon Online which generates all those things automatically and you just need to fill in what you want.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2012
so usually people do it themselves or just play on pokemon online? ok thank you very much this has been nagging me for ages.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
Pokemon Online is the better way to go in my opinion. It doesn't take very long to create a team, and literally within a few seconds on the busier servers you can find an opponent to battle. Also I've picked up a few things just by hanging out in the main chat of the busier servers (each server has a main chat).

Personally, I find testing a team on Pokemon Online first, and then deciding to breed/EV train in-game works best. PO is a great place to test out your Pokemon, and identify any issues early on, so you don't waste your time working on a Pokemon in-game and then discovering a problem later on.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
Very confused with a situation that ocurred while I was playing a WiFi Battle. If I have a flawless Jolly Infernape, max SPD up against a Togekiss, how can Togekiss attack first when Togekiss's speed cannot even come close to Infernape? Here's what played out:

Double Battle:

Me--Ambipom, Smeargle vs Togekiss, Dragonite
Smeargle uses Spore on Dragonite after Ambipom takes out Starmie, and so then Togekiss is sent out. Ambipom uses Double Hit on Togekiss, Togekiss doesn't faint and Air Slash on Ambipom. Smeargle uses Shift Gear and Dragonite can't wake up.

next turn--Smeargle uses Baton Pass to Krookodile, and is hit by Togekiss and Dragonite with Outrage and faints upon the switch in.
Infernape comes out. Dragonite is put to sleep again the previous turn with Spore. Seems like I have the advantage with Infernape full HP and Smeargle nearly dead, since I'm going to use Rockslide on Togekiss and Dragonite. Togekiss uses Airslash on Infernape. KO. How? Togekiss did not get one boost, at all from anything. No Quick Claw or anything like that. How does Togekiss outspeed a Flawless Infernape? Even if Togekiss were flawless, Infernape's 346 SPD beats Togekiss's 284 SPD...

I'm really not understanding this one...I've had a lot of weird stuff happen over WiFi battles, but this one I think definitely gets me the most.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Very confused with a situation that ocurred while I was playing a WiFi Battle. If I have a flawless Jolly Infernape, max SPD up against a Togekiss, how can Togekiss attack first when Togekiss's speed cannot even come close to Infernape? Here's what played out:

Double Battle:

Smeargle uses Spore on Dragonite after Ambipom takes out Starmie, and so then Togekiss is sent out. Ambipom uses Double Hit on Togekiss, Togekiss doesn't faint and Air Slash on Ambipom. Smeargle uses Shift Gear and Dragonite can't wake up.

next turn--Smeargle uses Baton Pass to Krookodile, and is hit by Togekiss and Dragonite with Outrage and faints upon the switch in.
Infernape comes out. Dragonite is put to sleep again the previous turn with Spore. Seems like I have the advantage with Infernape full HP and Smeargle nearly dead, since I'm going to use Rockslide on Togekiss and Dragonite. Togekiss uses Airslash on Infernape. KO. How? Togekiss did not get one boost, at all from anything. No Quick Claw or anything like that. How does Togekiss outspeed a Flawless Infernape? Even if Togekiss were flawless, Infernape's 346 SPD beats Togekiss's 284 SPD...

I'm really not understanding this one...I've had a lot of weird stuff happen over WiFi battles, but this one I think definitely gets me the most.

It may hold a Choice Scarf, seeing as it didn't change moves.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
Years

Double Battle:

It had to be Choice Scarf, just as the person above me has said. Since it only used Air Slash, that further points to it.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
I was trying to find a way to get Drink Milk or Softboiled on a Kingdra, and I'm a little confused about cross breeding, even after reading extensively about it. As I understand it, it works something like this:
Use Smeargle (male) to sketch a Miltank's Drink Milk
Breed male Smeargle (with Drink Milk) with female Psyduck. Breed until I get a male Psyduck with Drink Milk.
Breed male Psyduck (with Drink milk) with Horsea until I get a Horsea with Drink Milk.
Breed that Horsea with drink milk repeatedly for desired IV/nature/ability.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
No you have it all wrong, Milk Drink isn't learnable via tm, level or an egg move on Psyduck onwards. It HAS to be learnable via one of those methods to appear on the babies or its impossible to pass on.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
how well would a dragonite with rain dance,hurricane,thunder,and surf work

Not that great, especially while Politoed exists and the fact that Dragonite isn't necessarily fast in comparison to other Pokemon - and with Multiscale it isn't created to set up weather (only set up its own attacks). If you really want weather on a non-Politoed team (in-game that is) then catch a Tornadus or Thundurus and give that Rain Dance 'cause it has priority and can instantly set up weather w/o being worried about being outsped or taunted.

However as for the other three, there's a set that covers this:

Dragonite@Leftovers
Multiscale
224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Surf
- Roost

Which seems to be what you're aiming for. :3

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
vileplume@black sludge sludgebomb giga drain drain punch substute how well would this work in standard play

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Vileplume itself is a very terrible Pokemon, so judging on that I think you should try something different.

For some reason a Brelom comes to mind, considering you want Drain Punch and Substitute

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Vileplume itself is a very terrible Pokemon, so judging on that I think you should try something different.

For some reason a Brelom comes to mind, considering you want Drain Punch and Substitute

Speaking of Breloom, it's best off hiding behinds Subs, then firing off STAB Focus Punches or weakening the opponent with Leech Seed. It can also regain lost HP with Poison Heal.

Toxicroak also does Substitute + Drain Punch well due to Leftovers/Black Sludge + Dry Skin under rain. That's another Pokemon that can be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back