• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help me write a fanfiction?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
I know this probably sounds weird, but would anyone here be willing to help me write a pokemon fanfiction? It's been a long time since I've written anything pokemon-related, and I'm very rusty on my knowledge. I need someone with more knowledge to help me write my story.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
What do you mean by "help"? Do you want someone to write alongside you, where each one of you actually writes the story? Or do you just want someone who will edit your work--to go over it to make sure that you are following the rules of canon--or for you to ask questions to about Pokemon canon?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
What do you mean by "help"? Do you want someone to write alongside you, where each one of you actually writes the story? Or do you just want someone who will edit your work--to go over it to make sure that you are following the rules of canon--or for you to ask questions to about Pokemon canon?

I would love a writing partner, but if I have to I can settle for just an editor.

Bay

Years
Hm, so a beta reader then? You can probably ask some of the members here or try out FFnet's beta service and check the profiles to see what they're willing/not willing to check out. Otherwise, we also do have the plot idea thread if you need help with ironing out your plot and characters before you start writing.

With having a writing partner, it can be a fun experience but I highly suggest doing with someone you know you can work well instead of asking around because they might be familiar with your writing style or the way you interpret the characters/lore/world/etc.

Last edited:

Vagrant Pixels

Pixel Artist
Years
I also suggest you at least post a chapter here, along with a link to the help request to let potential writing buddies know if your work is to their liking. Worthy of their time, for impressions and critique.

Nothing is more of a bother than sending reading requests at random, which may always be ignored.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
Thank you both for your help! The problem is I have no idea how to even get started.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Thank you both for your help! The problem is I have no idea how to even get started.
Do you mean you don't have an idea, or do you mean you have an idea but don't know how to start writing?

Because for the latter, what I usually do is think of a scene which best sets the tone for the rest of my piece, provided I already have a general outline of my story that is. I think that's a best practice anyway.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
Do you mean you don't have an idea, or do you mean you have an idea but don't know how to start writing?

Because for the latter, what I usually do is think of a scene which best sets the tone for the rest of my piece, provided I already have a general outline of my story that is. I think that's a best practice anyway.

I have an idea but don't know how to start writing. Thank you for the advice!

The other problem I have is that my knowledge on the world of Pokemon is rusty.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Hahaha, well you're not alone. Mine is too. I haven't been a part of this fandom for a good few years and I only just recently started writing again. That said, for all your Pokemon knowledge needs, there's always Bulbapedia! As the name implies, it's basically a Pokemon encyclopaedia. If the info you need isn't there, Google it. The fandom, I'm sure, is large enough that any question you might have has probably been asked before somewhere.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
Years
  • Age 39
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I second what Miz en Scene said about Bulbapedia. It's a huge go-to when you want to know more about a Pokemon. It covers a lot of canon stuff. I usually write PMD stories so I tend to only use it for a list of Pokemon from specific types or appearances so I get them right, but it's a fountain of Pokemon knowledge.

If you're struggling to start writing, but have written before, I can assume your idea is in the middle of your story and you're struggling to come up with the opening chapter? I love writing the beginnings of stories, so if that's the case I might be able to help you get the ball rolling? I can't offer to be a writing partner but I'm very happy to bounce ideas around if you'd like that?

However, I can recommend a couple of books that might help you.
(I hope the following Amazon links here are okay? It's only to show what the books look like, but I'll remove them if need be!)
There is one book I can not recommend enough called Your Writing Coach. If you can find an affordable copy or find it in a library it's a great tool to get started. It covers sooo much including character development and how to generate plot ideas. NaNoWriMo's Ready Set Novel is another fantastic planning tool, especially if you suffer from a short attention span like me XD

If you want to drop me a message to talk more in detail, feel free. I tend to check this forum around once a day so I'll try to reply ASAP (I would do more frequently, but I'm trying to avoid Sun/Moon spoilers lol)

Back