• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Atheist Alliance 2.0

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Worst argument for religion you ever heard?

"Because the Bible says so" when debating with non-Christians. Don't get me wrong -- I'm Christian myself, and I deeply love my faith and all my fellow Christians, but I just hate it when Christians give a bad image of Christianity.

I guess that's why I sometimes even enjoy satirical videos on Christianity like those made by EdwardCurrent. I sometimes wonder if I'm going to hell for that.

Years
I would like to join this club, as I am an atheist as well. Been one since... a long time ago. I dunno, somewhere around 6 or 7 years old or something.

The reason being? I was raised in a heavily Mormon environment, and for the first 10 or so years of my life I had the bible, and other Mormon bible book things, forced onto me. While at first I believed the stuff, it didn't take me long before I realized how ridiculous the bible actually was. I honestly don't understand how anyone can read that thing and take it seriously. I have a hard time believing some omnipotent guy creating everything, or the ideas of heaven and hell and all that.

I certainly don't have anything against religious people, though. It's kinda hard to avoid being religious when it's been around for so long anyways. Religion isn't really a bad thing anyways. Though I will admit, I'd prefer a world without it.

The whole banana as proofs of gods existence, cause apparently only a god could design such a perfect fruit for human consumption. Here's a video for kicks and giggles.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I would like to join this club, as I am an atheist as well. Been one since... a long time ago. I dunno, somewhere around 6 or 7 years old or something.

Good reasoning. Welcome to the Club, my friend. Added.

Note to all members, I've edited the guidelines, so please check and understand the club rules. kthanks. :D

Phantom1

Years
If one religion in the world, one, was real, which one would you hope it to be?

Poki

Banned
Years

It has to be "But the Bible/*insertanythingreligious* says so!". If someone pulls that ♥♥♥♥ on me, chances are I'll stop having a debate with them, because it would be a huge waste of time. They'd buy anything their 2000y/o book says, completely ignoring facts, science, and all that ''nonsense''.

Buddhism, probably. It just seems like the religion with the least BS going on.

infranto

[color=grey][i]When it rains, it pours.[/i][/color
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 21, 2023
Hello,

I'd love to join this group and contribute to discussions on a regular basis.

I was an agnostic throughout the majority of my life, however due to events that have happened in my life, negative ones which have impacted my faith, I have become an Atheist.

The majority of people I speak to who are atheists seem to share my perspective on religion as a whole. They see religion as nothing but faith, which I completely agree with. They, like myself have had their faith taken away by traumatic experiences, which has deeply affected our lives and our faith in the existence of any god/higher power. It seems that most people who are atheists actually become one due to them losing their faith. At least that is what I have noticed and is my perception towards people who have disbelief towards god/a higher power.

Another view I have towards atheism is that the majority of atheists are intelligent people or at least people who believe that without factual evidence supporting the views and beliefs of religion, it cannot really exist. That religion itself is nothing more than a story conjured by numerous people over a long period of time. That each religion has been twisted and manipulated by certain individuals separate beliefs and values. In summary, it's far more logical and the evidence supports that there is no higher power/correct religion.

I apologise if what I wrote didn't make sense, it's currently 2.55am here and my mind is in disarray haha.

Last edited:
Years

Buddhism is real foo :P

I mean it doesn't really involve belief in the supernatural so I guess it's by definition as real as it gets. They say a lot about the Buddha, but I treat them as Chuck Norris jokes.

Phantom1

Years
Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?

Poki

Banned
Years

Years ago, I had a Christian friend, who started a huge argument with me when I told him that I am an Atheist. After a few "ur going to hell u stupid ♥♥♥♥♥"-like phrases, he deleted me. I haven't heard from him ever since. Good ♥♥♥♥ing riddance, I say.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years
Hey guys,
I'm not looking to join, but I do have some questions I'd like to respectfully discuss with anyone that's willing. Is that allowed?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Join me up please! :) I was a member of the old club. I've been an atheist as far as I can remember, in primary school I was very confused by the idea of praying every morning / thanking God or Jesus for things. It never really clicked with my ideals.

Nope, here in the UK atheists are a majority faction and on the rise~

You do not need to be atheist/agnostic to join this club. And member of any religion can post here if they have questions if done so in a respectful manner. If someone PMs you in a rude way regarding your lack of faith, please report them to the staff.

^ GreyBidoof - looks like you can go ahead! :)

GreyBidoof

Years
^ GreyBidoof - looks like you can go ahead! :)

Sweet! Well, then my first question would be as follows:

How would you define your atheism? Do you believe that it is impossible/illogical for a God or deity to exist? Or do you simply choose based on what you have experienced not to believe in one? (Or perhaps another explanation I haven't expressed?)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Sweet! Well, then my first question would be as follows:

How would you define your atheism? Do you believe that it is impossible/illogical for a God or deity to exist? Or do you simply choose based on what you have experienced not to believe in one? (Or perhaps another explanation I haven't expressed?)

For me, it's a bit of both.

I don't feel the need to have a god, I am comfortable with my life without one. I understand, I think, that some people need a god to comfort them or encourage them through life. I just find my motivation in the physical world I suppose.

I also don't see the logic behind a god. The world is too chaotic and diverse to be maintained or associated with an almighty or perfect being. I also find the contradictions between teachings and what happened in the real world to be incredibly ironic - god wants us to love everyone, but also declares people sinners. We are all gods children, yet he 'created' things that harm and kill us.

Just my two cents :)

Years
Hi there, I'd like to join & take part in some off the discussions. Strictly speaking I'm an agnostic atheist because I accept that I can never know for certain if a deity could exist or not; however because I lead my life with the assumption that a deity does not exist I am in effect just an atheist.

I wouldn't say impossible, but with my understanding of how things work I just find it highly unlikely. To the general idea of a higher power or influence I wouldn't even necessarily say illogical, as it is something we couldn't possibly prove at this point in time.

What I do personally find to be illogical is the notion of any specific deity cited by any particular religion. With so many conflicting religions and denominations I can't believe that any single one could be true, and I especially can't believe that any of them could care about us.

I'm an atheist because to me it seems more likely that there aren't any deities/gods than that any do exist.

Years
It's incredibly hard for me to believe in a god. He says everything but tells nothing. Personally, I've never had even so much as an verbal argument with somebody over religion.

GreyBidoof

Years
Well, it's cool to get some different responses, especially since I had no idea what was going to be said. I hope you guys won't mind if I add some comments of my own.

I also don't see the logic behind a god. The world is too chaotic and diverse to be maintained or associated with an almighty or perfect being. I also find the contradictions between teachings and what happened in the real world to be incredibly ironic

While the world is certainly very chaotic (even though a large percentage of the chaos is caused by people themselves), I would say that the world is also very intelligently designed (ex- the earth's delicate life-supporting planetary conditions, the functionality of the human body). I find it much easier to believe that someone purposed for these things to be this way, rather than just randomly occurring (which, in terms of probability, is incredibly slim). I would also venture to say that the "contradictions" you mentioned are not actually so, and can be explained.

god wants us to love everyone, but also declares people sinners. We are all gods children, yet he 'created' things that harm and kill us.

Could it be that God does want us to love everyone, but calls people sinners because they fail to do so? And could it also be that the things that harm people could be a result of (excuse the religious reference) sin in the world?

Hi there, I'd like to join & take part in some off the discussions. Strictly speaking I'm an agnostic atheist because I accept that I can never know for certain if a deity could exist or not; however because I lead my life with the assumption that a deity does not exist I am in effect just an atheist.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I've always wondered why people would claim that there is no God when they could really never know it to be true, but your explanation, which leans more toward agnosticism, is logical.

I wouldn't say impossible, but with my understanding of how things work I just find it highly unlikely. To the general idea of a higher power or influence I wouldn't even necessarily say illogical, as it is something we couldn't possibly prove at this point in time.

Again, I agree with you on this point. There is no way to prove the existence of a God, or at least (like you said, at this point). That's not to say that you couldn't experience and/or have faith in a God, it just means that there's no way to factually prove it. That's why it's called faith.

What I do personally find to be illogical is the notion of any specific deity cited by any particular religion. With so many conflicting religions and denominations I can't believe that any single one could be true, and I especially can't believe that any of them could care about us.

I'm an atheist because to me it seems more likely that there aren't any deities/gods than that any do exist.

I don't think that the idea of a specific deity being real or true is illogical. Different people interpret things differently, so that explains why there can be so many denominations within a religion. Assuming the possibility that one of these could be true, you could also make a case for one of them caring for people, based on their teachings.

It's incredibly hard for me to believe in a god. He says everything but tells nothing. Personally, I've never had even so much as an verbal argument with somebody over religion.

Not quite sure what you mean......? If you don't believe in a God then how does he "say everything?" :)

By the way, just wanted to put it out there that I'm not looking to argue with you guys, just wanted to share my opinion on some of the things that were said. I'm actually enjoying learning about atheism :)

Phantom1

Years

Welcome, and added.

And of course, anyone who is willing to respectfully join in is welcome.

Phantom1

Years
What does everyone think of the new drama with employers and birth control?

Back