• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Decided to cut feather into quill and make DIY ink!

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??
?I've cut a feather into a working historical pen the 24th, cut two more this morning.
?There's quite a few tutorials on how to cut the feather's tip, all you'll need is a cutter(a pocket knife works too).
?If the tutorial suggests to put the feather in hot sand, don't bother : it doesn't give any noticeable changes, you can go without.
?Virtually ANY feather can be used, however two of the most used were the candid goose feathers and,
?for an extra-thin calligraphy, crow feathers. Turkey feathers are also suggestable due to their durability.
?Here's a tutorial :
?
?
????
?
?As for the ink, your first worry ought be where to put it.
?Seek for a vial, a minuscule bottle, a flask, an empty inkwell(duh -_-""), anything that can be ermetically
?closed and you can easily dip the quill into. That might be the hardest part of it.
?There's SEVERAL different recipes for artisanal ink, but the one I'm going to suggest is :
?water, salt, vinegar(find the cheapest one), soot(feels like Ash, has the colour of coal and makes stains hard to get rid of).
?In my case the solution tends to separate from the soot with time, thus I'd also suggest shaking the bottle or mixing the content every once in a while.
?Heating the water-salt-vinegar solution before mixing it with the soot might help, but I'm not sure.
?Of course, since it's ink, you'll certainly want to be careful, the stuff stains. It's not the nearly unremovable Indian ink, but it'll still stain.
?
????
?
?
?So, anyway...(click here)
?I might have to work a bit on it, but quills are truly magnificent for calligraphy. Give it a try!
? P.S.: ???????? ?????????? ????????
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
?

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Years
Interesting hobby! Got any photos? Of the pen and your handwriting.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??
?Well, uh...
?not sure if we could call it a hobby...
?I did, do it for the sake of enjoyment, quite like hobbies, but I lack the dedication
?since I'm probably not going to do much : without school I don't use paper frequently,
?and I type notes onto my phone instead, be it a shopping list or possible inspiration
?bits for a fan-game I might never make.
?As for the photo, well... I did, take a photo of unown text, but I've put it as a link because the
?picture was just too large.
?Unless you wanted some actual alphabet text, in that case I decided to write down
?an old riddle I've heard and read of a few years ago.
?Again, I'm a novice to quills, might have made some mistakes regard the ink,
?was being tormented by a wild mosquito, the paper might not have been made for
?the purpose since the quill would sometimes scrape some paper off, father called me a couple times etc. ...
?The outcome was not what I had hoped...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Years
Knowing me I'd probably spill ink everywhere.
Nah, the mixture adheres to the quill's tip, it'll be fine!
Still, if you wish to be safe try dabbing the tip onto the recipient's internal border.
If the ink that comes down looks unusually transparent, you might wish to shake/mix the ink.
peter McLightning said:
Your writing style is very good.
T-thank you!
uh... what now...?
... maybe I ought show someone's tutorial onto the original post...

Last edited:
Back