• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank: How to predict the number of PokeMiles/BP earned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
So I'm sure everyone who has this app knows about the first-timer reward of 100 pokemiles (or 10 BP), and the Celebi, and all that stuff.

Maybe this is just how my mind operates, but the thing that really intrigues me about the Bank is that you can potentially accumulate a steady supply of BP (well, pokemiles that you convert into BP) just by leaving a lot of Pokemon in there. I tried to find specific information as to the rate of BP, whether a box needs to be full or not, do you have to log in each day or not, etc, and couldn't find anything!

I guess nobody has looked into the specifics behind this yet, or they just haven't shared their findings. But regardless, I figured I'd start a thread where I post all of the findings that I come up with, and other people can post what they've found so far.

*Current Working Theory*

PokeMiles Earned Per Day = ( [ Total number of Pokemon in Bank boxes on previous day / 3000 ] * 100 ) - 1

Essentially, the app is determining how many of the 3000 slots in your Bank are full (every Pokemon is counted, no matter where it is). It then expresses it as a percentage (hence, the 100 multiplier). Then, it seems to subtract 1 for some reason. This correction is necessary to fit with observation, and I have no idea why it subtracts 1 in the end. Maybe to avoid Transport Box confusion, but I really don't know for sure.

If the answer to the above equation contains a decimal, I believe it just gets rounded down to the nearest integer, then the decimal gets added on to the next day's number (where it again rounds down). For instance, if you have 2.3 Boxes full, you would get 1.3 Miles the next day. You would therefore actually receive 1 mile, then 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.3 = 1.6, which rounds down to 1), then 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.6 = 1.9 rounds down to 1), then 2 miles the next day (1.3 + 0.9 = 2.2, rounds down to 2), then back to 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.2 = 1.5, rounds to 1), etc. So you get a 1,1,1,2,1,1,1,2 sort of pattern, which is exactly what I've observed myself. :)

I must be crazy for finding this fun to think about!

*How to get Maximum BP per day*
I'm afraid that, operating under this theory, the only way to get the maximum amount of Miles (or BP) per day is to fill every single slot in your Bank.

The max amount of Miles per day, then, would be 99 (possibly 100 if the Transport Box DOES count), which would be 9.9 BP per day.

My Findings:

- Pokemiles update every 24 hours from roughly the time you first used the software; i.e. if Bridgette says you have 3 PokeMiles, you will stay at 3 until the next day no matter what.
- When you've made it to 10 PokeMiles, you can send them to your game in that form (or as 1 BP, if you so choose) Not sure what happens if you go beyond a multiple of 10
- Even having 2 bank boxes completely full, I still only manage to get 1 PokeMile overnight, so if "number of full boxes" does effect number of Miles earned, it is NOT a 1:1 ratio.
- Just putting a single Pokemon in each box doesn't seem to increase Miles earned. Too bad :/

What I Plan to Try:

- Logging in several times a day to see if I earn Miles for each login the next day. you don't
- Completely filling more boxes (will take some time)

So what have other people been finding? Does anyone have a good chunk of their Bank boxes (50% or more) completely full? If so, how many Miles do you earn daily?

I'm a little doubtful that this will be a replacement for Battle Maison/Institute, but as a numbers guy, I really am curious to know the maximum daily rate of BP that can be earned from Pokemon Bank.

I will add key facts to this post if any more confirmed info is discovered.

Last edited:

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Correct. I had about 30 boxes with one pokemon in each, and still only got 1 Mile. In fact, I haven't managed to get more than 2 Miles in a day, and I'm not even sure how I managed that...

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
Here's the data that I've gotten so far -
On the first day I deposited a bunch of breeding rejects into the bank.
Here are how many boxes and how many pokemon in each box

Box 1 - 28
Box 2 - 30
Box 3 - 18
Box 4 - 24
Box 5 - 23
Box 6 - 30
Box 7 - 19
Box 8 - 25

I left them alone, didn't even open Pokemon Bank for 10 days. When I logged in yesterday after 10 days, I had accumulated 64 Pokemiles/6 BP.
Today, I logged in again and was told I had earned 10 Pokemils/1 BP since yesterday.

I deposited a few more pokemon so now I have 10 boxes full with 30 pokemon each. I'll see how many BP I collect tomorrow.

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Not gonna lie Fana, I sat and stared at that info of yours for a good 15-20 minutes looking for a pattern in your data, and I think I have a fairly good working theory:

Just dividing 64 by 10 days gives 6.4 Miles/day, but since Miles are always whole numbers, how is the app using the decimal?

I believe the app is taking percentages for each Box, then adding those percentages. If the result is not a perfect integer, it simply rounds down (or possibly up?) to the nearest integer, but still stores that decimal.

This would explain why some days I got 2 Miles, but most days I just got 1.

This theory isn't perfect yet, though. For instance, taking the percentages of your 8 Boxes above, I added them up to be about 65.4 (slightly above 64).

Perhaps it takes some time for the server to register what actions the user performs on the first day or something, then settles out from there...

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
Haha, I'm glad you were able to find some sort of pattern to it, because I'm just completely clueless.

The percentage theory is interesting and definitely sounds like it could be true.

It'll be interesting to see what can be confirmed as more people can supply more information. I'd certainly love to be able to rely on the bank to earn BP consistently instead of grinding at the Battle Maison.

Years
well I haven't check my Pokebank for several days until I checked it to deposit some of my well bred semi perfect pokes into there, this is all I've got:
BgliVQZIYAAo_Xi.jpg

so I have come to the conclusion, I've actually boxed the entire of my living pokedex (718 and breeding rejects in tutorial) into then left these in there.

so, do you guys have any idea about this?

Windylacine~~

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
You can use them to purchase things on the Pokemon Global Link, or from the guy in the Lumoise City Pokemon Center.

PokeMiles are almost worthless at this time, unless you really want to stock up on Moomoo Milk or something. Most of the rare items cost waaaay too much (even on PGL) to be worth paying for.

But the main draw with getting them in Bank, of course, is that you can convert them to BP, which offers a passive way of obtaining BP (as in, you literally don't have to do anything to get them). :)

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I've been wondering about this. :) Thanks for sharing the news!

I'm probably the only person who's been choosing to get Pokemiles than BP. While I was killing time until Pokebank came out, I spent it by beating the Maison enough times to purchase every viable item and TM with 550 BP to spare. Pokemiles can come in handy for getting PP Ups and Rare Candies.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
PokeMiles are almost worthless at this time, unless you really want to stock up on Moomoo Milk or something. Most of the rare items cost waaaay too much (even on PGL) to be worth paying for.

But the main draw with getting them in Bank, of course, is that you can convert them to BP, which offers a passive way of obtaining BP (as in, you literally don't have to do anything to get them). :)

Really? Moo Moo milk is the ONLY thing you can think of that's worthwhile? Not Full Heal, Not Max Potion, not Full Restore, Max Revive or even Heart Scale? NONE of that is worthwhile, JUST moo moo milk. Oh okay. ;-) And yes, PP Up is expensive, but it's absolutely worth it! 1,500 pokemiles (500 x 3) in order to permanently max the PP of a move? Yeah, That's ABSOLUTELY worth it. It's a LOT faster than any in game method.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I personally only save up to get Battle Points because I breed a lot of pokemon and wonder trade all the ones I don't want, so I rack up a lot of pokemiles very fast, the Battle Points will be the hard things to accumulate so I save up for those instead.

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Really? Moo Moo milk is the ONLY thing you can think of that's worthwhile? Not Full Heal, Not Max Potion, not Full Restore, Max Revive or even Heart Scale? NONE of that is worthwhile, JUST moo moo milk. Oh okay. ;-) And yes, PP Up is expensive, but it's absolutely worth it! 1,500 pokemiles (500 x 3) in order to permanently max the PP of a move? Yeah, That's ABSOLUTELY worth it. It's a LOT faster than any in game method.

PP Up could be worth it if you're a frequent wonder trader. I personally am not, and prefer using Pickup to get my PP Ups and Rare Candies. Speaking of Candies, those just aren't worth it in general (aside from IV checking purposes, for which you only need like 20), since leveling up is now extremely easy, and Lv100 is not mandatory for wifi. Heart Scales can be obtained from wild Luvdisc, and all the healing items can either be bought with money (which is also extremely easy to generate), or just not necessary post-game. The only reason I mention MooMoo Milk is because it can't be bought in bulk anywhere in-game, you can use them on most Lv30-60 mons (on the rare situation you DO need to heal) without it going to waste, and on top of that, it's cheap.

But yeah, I think we all agree on the main point: choose Battle Points, not Pokemiles! Even if you already think you have enough of everything from the Maison, you can always use spares so you're not constantly switching items all the time. For me, all it took was about 2 weeks of catching lots of Route 2 pokes while watching tv (about 2 hours a night) to fill up 71 Bank boxes. I may do a few more, but I wanna save room for breeding rejects too.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
So I'm sure everyone who has this app knows about the first-timer reward of 100 pokemiles (or 10 BP), and the Celebi, and all that stuff.

Maybe this is just how my mind operates, but the thing that really intrigues me about the Bank is that you can potentially accumulate a steady supply of BP (well, pokemiles that you convert into BP) just by leaving a lot of Pokemon in there. I tried to find specific information as to the rate of BP, whether a box needs to be full or not, do you have to log in each day or not, etc, and couldn't find anything!

I guess nobody has looked into the specifics behind this yet, or they just haven't shared their findings. But regardless, I figured I'd start a thread where I post all of the findings that I come up with, and other people can post what they've found so far.

*Current Working Theory*

PokeMiles Earned Per Day = ( [ Total number of Pokemon in Bank boxes on previous day / 3000 ] * 100 ) - 1

Essentially, the app is determining how many of the 3000 slots in your Bank are full (every Pokemon is counted, no matter where it is). It then expresses it as a percentage (hence, the 100 multiplier). Then, it seems to subtract 1 for some reason. This correction is necessary to fit with observation, and I have no idea why it subtracts 1 in the end. Maybe to avoid Transport Box confusion, but I really don't know for sure.

If the answer to the above equation contains a decimal, I believe it just gets rounded down to the nearest integer, then the decimal gets added on to the next day's number (where it again rounds down). For instance, if you have 2.3 Boxes full, you would get 1.3 Miles the next day. You would therefore actually receive 1 mile, then 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.3 = 1.6, which rounds down to 1), then 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.6 = 1.9 rounds down to 1), then 2 miles the next day (1.3 + 0.9 = 2.2, rounds down to 2), then back to 1 mile the next day (1.3 + 0.2 = 1.5, rounds to 1), etc. So you get a 1,1,1,2,1,1,1,2 sort of pattern, which is exactly what I've observed myself. :)

I must be crazy for finding this fun to think about!

*How to get Maximum BP per day*
I'm afraid that, operating under this theory, the only way to get the maximum amount of Miles (or BP) per day is to fill every single slot in your Bank.

The max amount of Miles per day, then, would be 99 (possibly 100 if the Transport Box DOES count), which would be 9.9 BP per day.

My Findings:

- Pokemiles update every 24 hours from roughly the time you first used the software; i.e. if Bridgette says you have 3 PokeMiles, you will stay at 3 until the next day no matter what.
- When you've made it to 10 PokeMiles, you can send them to your game in that form (or as 1 BP, if you so choose) Not sure what happens if you go beyond a multiple of 10
- Even having 2 bank boxes completely full, I still only manage to get 1 PokeMile overnight, so if "number of full boxes" does effect number of Miles earned, it is NOT a 1:1 ratio.
- Just putting a single Pokemon in each box doesn't seem to increase Miles earned. Too bad :/

What I Plan to Try:

- Logging in several times a day to see if I earn Miles for each login the next day. you don't
- Completely filling more boxes (will take some time)

So what have other people been finding? Does anyone have a good chunk of their Bank boxes (50% or more) completely full? If so, how many Miles do you earn daily?

I'm a little doubtful that this will be a replacement for Battle Maison/Institute, but as a numbers guy, I really am curious to know the maximum daily rate of BP that can be earned from Pokemon Bank.

I will add key facts to this post if any more confirmed info is discovered.

Might seem silly to respond to a 3 year old post, but I think this theory should be revisited in the wake of the Pokemon Bank being updated for Sun and Moon. I don't know if it's always been this way, or if the update changed some of the math, but I think there is a much simpler explanation than the formula you came up with:

For every 30 Pokemon (1 full box's worth), you get 1 Pokemile a day.

I have over 750 Pokemon stored in my bank (enough for 25 full boxes, and a few in box 26), and I've been getting Pokemiles by the hour, at a rate of 1 Pokemile per hour. When I had less than 24 boxes (22 boxes = roughly 90%), I got 12 new Pokemiles in roughly 13 hours, on top of any miles not converted into a Battle Point since you keep the remainder on file until you have enough for a multiple of 10.

Think about it. If one full box is worth one mile a day, then having 24 full boxes means you're getting 24 miles per day, or one mile per hour. Looking at the data Echo put up, it makes sense that he was getting roughly 6 miles per day because he had enough for 6 full boxes (closer to 6.5, but Nintendo and GameFreak round everything down to the nearest integer for all its formulas, so even a 6.9 rounds down).

I'm not saying that the boxes have to be full, but that every 30 Pokemon increases the rate at which you gain Pokemiles. Jumping from 30 to 60 would have it increase from 1 mile a day to 2 (after all, 30 and 60 represent 1% and 2% of the Pokemon Bank's capacity). And I suspect that having one single Pokemon deposited in the bank would only generate a Pokemile once every 30 days, meaning that a single Pokemon would only have a minuscule effect on the rate of Pokemile production since you need multiples of 30 to tick over into the next integer.

The time when you access the Pokemon Bank may help explain why you were getting discrepancies in your observations (such as you needing to subtract 1 from your percentage). You might not have waited a full 24 hours to check the bank, or you waited too long.

Here's an example. Earlier today, I had 666 Pokemon in my bank (22 boxes plus a few extra), and it had been roughly 13 hours between check ins with the Bank. Using your formula of ((666/3000) x 100) - 1, my answer would be 21.2 miles per day. If I plug that into the ratio of 24 hours per day to get how many miles would be generated in the 13 hour period between times that I checked into the bank ((21.2/24) x 13), it says that I would have only gotten 11.483 miles during that 13 hour period. Yet if I don't include the -1 from earlier, and have an answer of 22.2 miles per day (for the 22 boxes), then ((22.2/24) x 13) becomes 12.025 miles during that 13 hour period.

I think it really is that simple. For every full box's worth of Pokemon, you get a Pokemile a day, and the more boxes that are filled, the more miles you can generate in a day, to the point where you can even see increases every hour or so depending upon how many boxes are filled.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Might seem silly to respond to a 3 year old post, but I think this theory should be revisited in the wake of the Pokemon Bank being updated for Sun and Moon. I don't know if it's always been this way, or if the update changed some of the math, but I think there is a much simpler explanation than the formula you came up with:
Unfortunately, 3 years is indeed too long to respond to something. The rules state that threads that haven't been posted in for more than 2 months shouldn't be posted in, so I have to lock this.

You are however welcome to make a new thread about this in the our Sun & Moon section if you feel that this is worth examining again for possible changes or whatnot in the new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back