• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
I'd say its probably the fact that Pokémon isn't quite treated as a story theme with much "darkness" in it. Its mostly because people tend to like to write what something isn't because its different, maybe even the opposite. Pokémon is usually taken as the "its always happy" theme, and because of it, people adapt what's darker and gloomier into the story. That's my opinion, though. Not sure if it went through very well. <.<

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Mmm, that's probably true.

Because, you know, Pokémon is really a kids' series. At the core of it, past all the various age groups of watchers, readers, players, lovers, and whatnot, it was designed for kids. This means that the series is more light-hearted, something many people assume is the only story luminance level that won't make our youth's heads explode. Therefore, older fans who got ticked off at this lightheartedness storm off to write something Pokémon-related but also something dimmer and more to their liking, and the liking of other people who surely must share their thoughts. And so 'darkfic' was born!

This is all third-party observation. :3

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
That makes sense, Giratina. :3 Personally, my dark fic came out of my general interest of dystopias. :P And, since I had just gotten back into Pokémon, I thought to myself, "why not comine them?" ;D

Bay

Years
Yeah, that maybe the case. I keep hearing how, "Pokemon is too happy and sunshine! I want it to be more dark with sex, drugs, and rock and roll!. I can understand yeah Pokemon is very kid friendly and too sweet, but I don't mind it too much. Liked I said, I still like the Pokemon world and the people and creatures in there.

I admit though, I did have intentions to have NE more intense than the anime (considering NE also referenced some events from the anime, mostly from the movies). However, I didn't make it go dark like Pokemon MASTER. It's pretty much as intense as a PG-13 action movie. :P Reason for that is not that I'm writing it to make it "ALL INTENSE AND DARK!" but instead because some scenes and themes of the story pretty much called for it and I know right off things will get nitty gritty a bit.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Also true, Bay. Basically, if the story or plotline calls for some grimness at various places along the way, that's just fine. But if you're rewiring everything about Pokémon to make it more heartless and desolate for the sake of making it more heartless and desolate, then chances are I'm going to turn away eventually. Of course, there have been a few instances where exceptional writing and plotwork have kept me going through the muck... but that's pretty rare. |3

Bay

Years
Yeah, with NE despite intentions having some suspense scenes and such, I do try my best to stay true to the atmosphere of the Pokemon world. Sometimes I don't like it how the writers try to make it all gloomy and dark for the sake of that. >.>

txteclipse

The Last
Years
What kind of atmosphere do you like to create in your fic (overall)?

I usually have a darker atmosphere, so that when the bright points come they're more memorable and impactful. The lighter elements are intended to justify what gives the good characters continued hope in the face of opposition, so I feel they have to stand out.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

I like the atmosphere to foreshadow the story so that you'll always have that "I've got a bad feeling about this..." feeling in your gut. With parodies, I want the lulz atmosphere, if there is such thing.

Lana.

*spin*
Years
It's kind of hard to explain why I like darker stuff... maybe it's because I'm into the whole psychological aspect of working out how my characters should react to each challenge? *shrug* I'm not really sure. But it's not like my fics are all doom and gloom all the time, though, so those particular darker moments really stick out in a fic that's otherwise not dark at all.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
It's kind of hard to explain why I like darker stuff... maybe it's because I'm into the whole psychological aspect of working out how my characters should react to each challenge? *shrug* I'm not really sure. But it's not like my fics are all doom and gloom all the time, though, so those particular darker moments really stick out in a fic that's otherwise not dark at all.

I know I'm totally coming out of no where but I'm much in the same way as you. My fan fiction (and the ones that I like to read) are particularly darker at the dark parts than normal. My pokemon fan fiction that I'm working on now is particularly darker toned as the story progresses. It had to come to a point I had to make a character to buffer some of the darkness away. I should have someone of you read it. It's pretty good for my first fan fiction.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hmm, has anyone experienced the feeling that you know what needs to happen in, say, 3-5 chapters, but is struggling to get there? I am at the moment (two chapters in the future of what is posted, mind you.) What I'm doing is writing a few chapters ahead, so I know exactly what I'm aiming for. Has anyone undergone this, and, if so, do you have any tips for "bridging the gap"?

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
I had this ages back, when I was writing a chaptered story (OMG, I actually wrote something!). In the end, I just left out the chapters that I'd intended to put in between and somehow tied it in with what I wanted to write in the chapter after. It ruined the story. So I abandoned it.
you Try writing the chapter that you have in your head first, and then write the two in the middle. That way you can leave goodies for the readers in the previous 3 - 5 chapters in preparation for the one that you want to write.

Bay

Years
Yeah, I have that problem before with the original version with NE. There are quite a lot of scenes I want to get too, but I had trouble getting from point A to point B. With the new version of NE, I have that problem too, but I basically just decided to write that scene I want to write and then backtrack. This works for me, but then again I usually write most or all of the story before I post it. ^^;

Oh, and welcome, Sgt. Shock! Hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

Last edited:

Lana.

*spin*
Years
Yeah, I have that problem before with the original version with NE. There are quite a lot of scenes I want to get too, but I had trouble getting from point A to point B. With the new version of NE, I have that problem too, but I basically just decided to write that scene I want to write and then backtrack.
This. I skip around and write the scenes in my head that will not leave me alone until they are written. It's always interesting, because when I do this I come with with little details and plot points I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Oh Goshes I've been away for some time, and that's to begin with.

Release of HG&SS has got me occupied with the music, that simply rules.

To more current affairs...

Do you have villainous teams in your stories? If you do, do they happen to have sub-bosses (or commanders/minibosses/whatever)? Bonus points if they're more than two or three characters and/or are together all the time.
Team Rocket. ANd, given the current developments in HG&SS, I mostly think I'm going to go the subboss/commander/admin/whatever route. So far I have four "Controllers", rank which Syd is one of them, but two of them are there simply as filler...

Not a dark one like the rest of you, mind. I mean, for that we got real life, right?v*dies* -- I like, however, to play the surprise or the convolution in plots to build in the characters a sensation of "hey, that's what shouldn't happen".

Feign's definition (quote: "a correct answer to a meaningful relationship to Pokemon")

A very interesting concept. I hadnever thought too much on the "behavioural" connection. If I read it wholy and try to go back to your original question...

Why do you like Pokemon, in terms of meaningful relationships?

The first thing I remember I liked about Pokémon was the openness, in the sense that the games and anime paint the idea that, with resourcefulness of minf and the right kind of creature (and sometimes not even the right kind...), anything can be achieved, so it's a large-scale call to adventure. Go around, do stuff. See a rock? It is pure eruption memento and weights over 9 tons Get your Pokémon to lift/break/move it! At a level, it kinda goes with what Sparkling Dragon said about "lastability". There are a lot of things to do and you will eventually get the chance to try most of them except Japan-only events.

Then I became enchanted, sort of, by the sense of chivalry in its broadest (and oldest) sense. You know, that almost-extinct thing? Where you jump into action everyday not because an Evil Overlord doomed your hometown and kicked everyones' Growlithe puppies ten years ago, but because solving problems every day is made something correct (and fun) to do? Back in 2002/2003, turning the system ON, picking a random town with its troubles, going around announcing "Hey, I have 5 Pokémon and an HM slave, the Universe has authorized me to solve your troubles!" and having the punch to back it up, was what essentially crowned the good things that made my day, every day... and balanced out the bad days, as well. Yes, it's self-fulfillment in a way, given that one of the things I like the most of life is the ability to take a peek at friends' problems and always provide at least an opinion; but it was still presented as something much saner and practical, for its kind of world, than games like the Final Fantasies or GTA do.
Not that I'm bashing GTA, which I usually do, and with FF is a more solid matter of the genre...
The anime plays this in a different way, especially with the movies, but I think it ends up the same.

As for relationships with people I can't say much. I started an underground Pokémon Battle Ring at school back when RBY (I think it was 1999) and kept talking with those friends for a very long time. Nowadays only two of us keep playing Pokémon, but I know we all still enjoy games with the same spirit. I like games that call you to converse (not just "chat") with other people. Most of my career's students who played Age of Empires also liked History and Mythology, and playing the game, be it for fun or competition, kinda connected us and allowed us to share information, perceptions and wishes. The same happened with Pokémon: it gave us a (good) excuse to be more open to each other.
Unfortunately here where I live Pokémon (and most -mon series by name association) became a sort of stigma shortly after our underground club, although I have to say that made my relationship to the games more personal and cherishable. After a four years gaming hiatus, the second thing I came back to was Pokémon and I instanstly remembered why I liked the games so much.

And I'm really stretching this too much. All in all, what I like of Pokémon is essentially that it called to make the world a better place. It was a call addressed to no one in particular, but the games made it funny to jump in to the adventure.

Citrinin said:
Hmm, has anyone experienced the feeling that you know what needs to happen in, say, 3-5 chapters, but is struggling to get there?
Yes, sometimes. That's the reason my other fic hasn't advanced much (I have written only one chapter in 3 months...). I feel sometimes that me myself get caught in that" no can happen" mood I described and that I somehow have to "tweak" things around and then start running in circles thinking why can't this or that idea work, and all that... But never actually sit and force myself to solve the issue.

So sorry, Citrinin, but I can't offer much help. I can say, however, from my own experience, that for some f***ed wicked reason, once you become tired of fighting the issue and trying aids or shortcuts, a seemingly obvious solution appears when you're busy doing something else completely unrelated and objectively much more important. So be careful! Also, of course, go with La Pompa's suggestion, heck I should to that myself... :D

Also, welcome to our Lounge of Insanity to our newest member Sgt. Shock. Any relation to Lt. Guile Surge, by chance? :cool:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Feign's definition (quote: "a correct answer to a meaningful relationship to Pokemon")

A very interesting concept. I hadnever thought too much on the "behavioural" connection. If I read it wholy and try to go back to your original question...

Why do you like Pokemon, in terms of meaningful relationships?

The first thing I remember I liked about Pokémon was the openness, in the sense that the games and anime paint the idea that, with resourcefulness of minf and the right kind of creature (and sometimes not even the right kind...), anything can be achieved, so it's a large-scale call to adventure. Go around, do stuff. See a rock? It is pure eruption memento and weights over 9 tons Get your Pokémon to lift/break/move it! At a level, it kinda goes with what Sparkling Dragon said about "lastability". There are a lot of things to do and you will eventually get the chance to try most of them except Japan-only events.

Then I became enchanted, sort of, by the sense of chivalry in its broadest (and oldest) sense. You know, that almost-extinct thing? Where you jump into action everyday not because an Evil Overlord doomed your hometown and kicked everyones' Growlithe puppies ten years ago, but because solving problems every day is made something correct (and fun) to do? Back in 2002/2003, turning the system ON, picking a random town with its troubles, going around announcing "Hey, I have 5 Pokémon and an HM slave, the Universe has authorized me to solve your troubles!" and having the punch to back it up, was what essentially crowned the good things that made my day, every day... and balanced out the bad days, as well. Yes, it's self-fulfillment in a way, given that one of the things I like the most of life is the ability to take a peek at friends' problems and always provide at least an opinion; but it was still presented as something much saner and practical, for its kind of world, than games like the Final Fantasies or GTA do.
Not that I'm bashing GTA, which I usually do, and with FF is a more solid matter of the genre...
The anime plays this in a different way, especially with the movies, but I think it ends up the same.

As for relationships with people I can't say much. I started an underground Pokémon Battle Ring at school back when RBY (I think it was 1999) and kept talking with those friends for a very long time. Nowadays only two of us keep playing Pokémon, but I know we all still enjoy games with the same spirit. I like games that call you to converse (not just "chat") with other people. Most of my career's students who played Age of Empires also liked History and Mythology, and playing the game, be it for fun or competition, kinda connected us and allowed us to share information, perceptions and wishes. The same happened with Pokémon: it gave us a (good) excuse to be more open to each other.
Unfortunately here where I live Pokémon (and most -mon series by name association) became a sort of stigma shortly after our underground club, although I have to say that made my relationship to the games more personal and cherishable. After a four years gaming hiatus, the second thing I came back to was Pokémon and I instanstly remembered why I liked the games so much.

And I'm really stretching this too much. All in all, what I like of Pokémon is essentially that it called to make the world a better place. It was a call addressed to no one in particular, but the games made it funny to jump in to the adventure.

It's still a bit of a new concept for me (shhh don't tell anyone ;)), but your response was awesome.

I guess to explain it better, is to look at a news article, and ask why that specific article affects you. And that if it can highlight all 3, then it is a meaningful relationship.

Oh, here's something they used to teach a long time ago, in English class:

You know how there are inflectional endings in other languages that are attached to the words (specifically verbs? I'm talked about words like vivre (to live) etc basically the ending of the verb that get's changed. Well they figured back then, that English should stay like that, more or less. That is to say, they taught to never separate the word 'to' from its respective verb. So instead of saying "To really go..." One would have had to say "To go really..." (or whatever made the most grammatical sense).

Lash

Years
I've been so lazy about coming here lately :(

How do you feel about changes in styles of writing while the story is still progressing (points of view, like 1st person to 3rd)?

Bay

Years
Feign, interesting on the language part. I studied Italian and the language also does something like that with their tenses.

How do you feel about changes in styles of writing while the story is still progressing (points of view, like 1st person to 3rd)?

Well, I don't mind too much. I know some stories where they have like that. However, sometimes it can be distracting sometimes as it might be weird some parts you have the point of view of other characters (if you're going with 3rd person Omniscient) and other parts the point of view of one character.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Oh, here's something they used to teach a long time ago, in English class: ... That is to say, they taught to never separate the word 'to' from its respective verb. So instead of saying "To really go..." One would have had to say "To go really..." (or whatever made the most grammatical sense).

Actually, technically, it's still true that you're not supposed to split infinitives. It's just that most people tend to ignore this rule because a lot of the time, it's more awkward if you don't. (Just saying it's not really something that the English language did long ago and doesn't do anymore. It's more something English still does but most people completely blow off. It's hilarious how many rules this language actually has that people like to pretend don't exist or otherwise don't know about, really.)

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I was initially going to write Mastermind in a combination of first- and third-person, but I stopped writing it I decided to go strictly with first-person. Flip-flopping would have totally killed the close connection I'm trying to forge between Mewtwo (a.k.a. the narrator) and the reader, as well as the mystery surrounding the world government and the Bydo. The reader sees what Mewtwo sees, and the curtain is drawn back for both in tandem.

Oh, here's something they used to teach a long time ago, in English class:

You know how there are inflectional endings in other languages that are attached to the words (specifically verbs? I'm talked about words like vivre (to live) etc basically the ending of the verb that get's changed. Well they figured back then, that English should stay like that, more or less. That is to say, they taught to never separate the word 'to' from its respective verb. So instead of saying "To really go..." One would have had to say "To go really..." (or whatever made the most grammatical sense).

I'm not sure, but wouldn't that just change around the purpose of the word "really?" If you say "to go really fast," the word "really" is an adverb (I think that's right) for the word "fast." If you say "to really go fast," the word "really" is an adverb for the word "go." So I guess it would depend on which word you want to emphasize?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back