• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are shinies too easy to find in Gen 6?

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Hi,
I found 4 Shinies in 2 days by chain fishing so do you all think shinies are not as rare as they used to be?

xRekke

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Chain fishing increases the chance of finding shinies just like chaining with pokeradar.

If you think is easy, try not to chain and run in the wild ...

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
In the past 48 hours I have captured 3 shiny slugmas, a shiny fraxure, a shiny growlithe, a shiny charmeleon, and then a shiny Braixen...all this within the past 48 hours. And they weren't even found with the fishing method, pokeradar or the masuda method either. I feel like the more shinies I encounter, the higher chance I have of finding more, I don't know if anyone else feels that way too.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
MM'ing for an eevee...5 full boxes of them and still no shiny.

Years
50 hours, 0 shinies. Lady luck continues to elude me when it comes to shinies bar that one shiny starter Cyndaquil. (Not counting any that I RNG'd over time)

This includes a 131 fishing streak that went to naught.

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
No I don't think it's too easy. They still aren't the easiest to find and it's not like most of the will have the correct Nature/IV. That makes breeding still the best way to get Pokemon and shinies are still hard to get that way.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
I've set out to catch 'em all, which means deliberately running into a ton of Pokemon, and still haven't encountered a shiny.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
I have captured 1 shiny shelmet in the wild, and 1 shiny Meditite from the Friend Safari. I have read somewhere that the chances of encountering a shiny is bigger inside the Friend Safari more than the wild.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
Well I'm in 70 hours of game play and still haven't seen a single shiny, not even in the friend safari. I guess some of us are lucky and some of us remain unlucky. I'm still waiting to find my first shiny ever. Fish chaining/pokeradar of course increase your chances but I seem to suck at both.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
I MM bred a shiny Eevee after 11 other Eevee by chance, and so far have chained three shinies using the pokeradar. In the wild, though, I haven't really encountered any shiny Pokemon ever. I think there's definitely an increased chance, but not so much that they've become common except for some very lucky people.

Also...

I've never been good at PokeRadar chaining, anyone have any good tips?

I have a thread going *over here* which explains an experimental updated method for chaining shinies in X/Y specifically. So far it seems a bit easier than the D/P methods and allows for chaining in smaller patches of grass. Ultimately though, practice (and failing a lot) is the best method to become a chaining pro!

Last edited:
Years
...Nope. Like AuroraBeam, I haven't found a single shiny in countless hours of playing. I've even attempted chain fishing with no success. Seems some of us just are naturally unlucky when it comes to shinies.

Years
I don't think they're too easy. I'm lucky, I've found shinies in most gens before but a lot of people I know have never seen one. Shinies still aren't common, but I think it's nice that the odds aren't quite so bad. Yeah chain fishing is easy, but there's no certainty in what you'll get. I haven't had anything I'll use!

In gen 4, all so many people did was RNG. Shinies were a sure thing! At least right now it takes a bit of work and a bit of time, but you can get the odd shiny yourself without them (so far) ending up really common.

Back