Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Draconius GO

Old November 5th, 2017 (7:11 AM).

Hello, I'm working on a game, that would involve me drawing a bunch of sprites - and well, I felt like I couldn't match the style right with the program I'm using so I got this weird idea in my head to try drawing the pokemon like this:
    test.png
    I actually do really like how they look, but I feel like they clash with the rest of the game, since I don't feel like I could create all the tiles,items,overworld sprites etc.

So I guess I'm unsure if I should keep trying to draw them like this or not.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 5th, 2017 (12:05 PM).
    • Platinum Tier

They look good! Having unique sprites would be awesome...

Perhaps you could get away with just redoing the battle scene to match?
    Old November 5th, 2017 (5:53 PM).
    O.o

Honestly, I love the aesthetic and hope that you continue with that. You'll have to change a lot more of the game to match it though to keep things graphically consistent, however. Especially the entire in-game battle UI
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:24 AM).

Nature: Timid
        If you're willing to make all those sprites, I'd say it's worth it. Art styles in fangames that differ from the original games is one of the main pushes I have when deciding on whether to play a game or not, but that's probably just bias, since I love seeing unique art syles, haha. And the lineless style is really cool, and it's something new for a fangame.
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:28 AM).
        The Derp

Nature: Docile
          OMG that design is really good! I am actually loving those cute designs!
          I mean if you can make all pokemon sprites then go for it, then try and find tiles and OW that u know resembles your art style or like goes with it(with creators permission ofcourse) you dont need to make the tiles and OWs and such since those in battle sprites would itself become a huge feature for your game, If u ever release an alpha or beta do hmu :)

Name: Razor
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
          Pokémon SCARLET BLAZE HALLOWEEN BETA OUT NOW!
          https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=392391

Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:14 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by deepseadoggo.

Ok, well if you guys think it looks good - I wouldn't mind attempting to at least do the Pokemon I need (since I feel like trying to do everyone would kill me - and I'm still iffy on the story).
            But I think limiting things might be better for me so I can keep the game management stuff simple.

Ok, I set up a hud that hopefully goes well with the lineless style:
            test.png
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:26 PM).
            Pokémon Rose Creator

Nature: Modest
            It's beautiful! This is exactly the kind of ingenuity I look for in a fan game/hack! I can't wait to see more of this! What would the art style of the overworld be? Would it be more colorful and minimalist as well?
            Rose Discord
            Paired with Jake <3

Join the PC Romhacking Discord today!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:09 PM).
            O.o

Quote:
              Originally Posted by deepseadoggo View Post
              Ok, well if you guys think it looks good - I wouldn't mind attempting to at least do the Pokemon I need (since I feel like trying to do everyone would kill me - and I'm still iffy on the story).
              But I think limiting things might be better for me so I can keep the game management stuff simple.

Ok, I set up a hud that hopefully goes well with the lineless style:
              I think there's a dip in quality between your first screenshot and this one. The Mankey doesn't seem to be in the same... I don't know, vectorized (that's not a word, but whatever) style. The first two Pokémon you showed off looked really professional, whereas this Mankey looks like it was a bit rushed. I'm not sold on the UI, but I do love the direction you're taking it in.
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:06 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
                I think there's a dip in quality between your first screenshot and this one. The Mankey doesn't seem to be in the same... I don't know, vectorized (that's not a word, but whatever) style. The first two Pokémon you showed off looked really professional, whereas this Mankey looks like it was a bit rushed. I'm not sold on the UI, but I do love the direction you're taking it in.
                Yeah, I agree about Mankey not looking too good. Here's him all touched up and proper.
                New canvas.png
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:08 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Damien.aspiring.fandev.
                The trivia section needs you! Come have fun with us! ;)

Nature: Jolly
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by deepseadoggo View Post
                  snip
                  Oh boy! I had a similar idea about painting the pokémon instead
                  of spriting them, and seeing someone do so is quite uplifting!
                  I was wondering fellow, are the legendaries going to have a special
                  treatment? Maybe artist's-version like representations or a symbol
                  in the background? And what about other pokémon with major roles,
                  traveling with certain characters? Will they have their own aesthetic
                  formes a-la Ash hat pikachu? (could be featuring accessories, minor physical differences, a symbol in the background or different postures)

-Professor Kaplan of Almia's ranger school. Pokémon Ranger : Shadows of Almia.

Want some gen5 apricorn balls?
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:14 PM).

Nature: Quiet
                    I think that the Pokemon look nice, but it kinda doesn't fit with the more pixelated background and menu.
                    But then someone confuses Red with Ash *Screams and won't stop*
                    Here's a link to my website: http://randomnerdstuff.weebly.com/
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:31 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by deepseadoggo.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Damien.aspiring.fandev View Post
                      Oh boy! I had a similar idea about painting the pokémon instead
                      of spriting them, and seeing someone do so is quite uplifting!
                      I was wondering fellow, are the legendaries going to have a special
                      treatment? Maybe artist's-version like representations or a symbol
                      in the background? And what about other pokémon with major roles,
                      traveling with certain characters? Will they have their own aesthetic
                      formes a-la Ash hat pikachu? (could be featuring accessories, minor physical differences, a symbol in the background or different postures)
                      There are definitely going to be Ash hat- pikachuish guys. Popplio especially is going to get the Pikachu treatment (though I might add other starters depending on how confident I feel about this game stuff)

Originally, I was just going to draw the "unique" pokemon sprites but I had trouble with Pixel art (like in my AV) but somehow I've gone back to trying to draw them so they all match.
                      And I do agree with eeveetree about the pixelated menu - which is something I'll probably end up redrawing (or tracing to save time) over.

Though I figure, I'm not using every single pokemon (at least for now) - and even if the game doesn't end up happening I'll still get some drawing experience out of it.

Also while I'm still here, I've been playing with making a tile set.
                      I think I'm just going to end up redrawing all the tchar sprites too on top of making my own tiles.
                      This project will be the death of me.

edit:
                      After doing a bit of testing, I think I might have to scrap the idea of doing tilesets, it just feels like way too much - I would hopefully like to at least have a demo out before gen 7 runs its course. And I don't think I'll make it since I'm kind of struggling with it.

One last edit for this:
                      Well, A nice guy on the forums kind of got me motivated to try working with the tiles again, and I am feeling a bit better about how it looks:
                      New canvas1.png

Don't know if there's really anything else to say about this now since I feel like I'm okay with it. Outside of getting the auto tiles to snap better and the giant furnitue. And how to organize the tiles themselves because my sheets right now are all over the place.
                      Attached Images
                      File Type: png New canvas.png‎ (22.0 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:23 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by deepseadoggo.

Well, ok there was one thing I was forgetting - the overworld sprites. I think for the most part to prevent me from breaking the game, I'm going to try to draw over the npc sprites as a base.
                        Just wish I knew how to make things cleaner. I still need to clean it up a bit too.
                        charge.gif

edit:
                        So, I was kind of playing around with the idea that since I'm drawing things, maybe I shouldn't try to make it look exactly like the already made sprites so I could try to experiment with things a bit more.
                        Something I've kind of decided on is that I'm going to try and make the images bigger, in the hopes I can get more detail in. But right now I was looking at the way the player sprite kind of meshes in with the background, and I was thinking of adding an outline like this:
                        New canvas.png
                        And I'm just kind of curious if it just kind of stands out too much now or maybe I should just try to make everything have a bit of an outline and make things look kind of cartoonish?

Though I will admit right now I'm kind of struggling with overworld sprites. Wish there was a way I could just take a gif and turn it into a sheet somehow.

Quick Reply