• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Plus, you can build your own computer, customize it as much as you want. PC offers a lot more than the Xbox and Playstation consoles, but that's just my opinion. When I was an active Xbox player, I would say that it was better than anything else. But now that I have experience with pretty much every console, I prefer the PC the most by far. No troubles. Games run perfectly, connection is ace, have a few controllers I can use, several games and spare money to spend; completely set. There are great games out there for less than a tenner: The Binding of Isaac, Garry's Mod, Terraria, Half-Life 1/2, Fallout: New Vegas and the list goes on (those prices are based on Steam). I don't think there is a time soon where I will sell my gaming PC or stop PC gaming at all.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm leaning towards PC gaming here since its much easier and worth buying rather than a console. I have an xbox sitting there gathering dust because Im currently upgrading my desktop. So not only i can browse, I can finally play minecraft play those pc games I never got to play before.

Years
It's convenient to be able to have multiple screens here anyway so I can play and also talk on PC and whatnot. I know I could've done this with my Xbox previously, but I already had a computer and there would've been too many wires. It's just awesome. Being a PC gamer, I can't find much flaws, and I won't have to keep changing everything on my computer. Can't get hacked, data is safe and I have never picked up a virus before. I've had a PC for, what...6 years? And I've never got a virus. In 4 years I managed to RRoD's on the Xbox :(

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I refuse to buy a separate wireless adapter for my xbox, which is around 30 bucks to shell out. Another reason why I want to try out pc gaming.

You know...having a dual monitor isnt that bad of an idea. multitasking power!

I still have my nintendo 64 laying around. I need to find a missing part for it which i believe I'll be able to find on ebay.

Years
Loving my PC at the moment, nothing I can fault. Xbox was great and all, but PC has the whole package. PC just seems so diverse; there is nothing you can't really do. Only console where Skyrim, Minecraft etc. mods are available and some of the greatest games are only available on PC. Don't wanna start a heated discussion so just gonna stop going on about the amazingness that is the PC.

Yay for old consoles! I need to go out to Cex (Pre-owned electronics store in England) and pick myself up some of the old consoles, have no idea why I sold my 64. Will see what games I can pick up with a £30 budget sometime next week.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Eh. Call me crazy but I can do with Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS alone for next gen. (I also missed out on a lot of PS1 and PS3 games so having a Vita/PS3 helps.)
With the Nintendo consoles I literally have all the previous and current gen Nintendo library + anything else noteworthy on the virtual console.

I'll be frank but I'm not gonna get a PS4/Nextbox/PC most likely. My interest in modern gaming is as good as dead at this point, so I'm really only into niche or retro games these days.

Oh, though I might get a next gen console just for fighting games. They're the only reason I even play my 360 these days aside from Halo 3. Damn fighting games.

Last edited:
Years
Yeah, I understand you, Spino. I'd be set with Nintendo consoles for a long time if I had the games. Haven't really played any classics recently, but about to.

But I always like to keep up with the recent games, doesn't feel right if I don't...

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's understandable if you're proud to be part of the Video Games industry, but alas my interest in this hobby is weakening the more I grow up, and thus it's why I lean to the more casual, arcade-y or classic games. It does make me way more appreciative to certain games though. (Rhythm Heaven Fever being a big one.)

Dammit, that makes me sound like an old geezer when I'm only 16.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Dang. They're $60 here. I just took an ethernet cord and strung it across the apartment through the radiators. I barely managed it. But at least I have a faster connection than wireless will provide.

Oh! I actually did that method before. I used an ethernet cord to connect my xbox to my laptop. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I was able to connect online just fine. Problem is...I need my laptop to...move, ya know? xD

$30 is the price of some wireless adapters on ebay. I don't know how much it costs in stores tbh...I'm sure it's more than $50.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It's understandable if you're proud to be part of the Video Games industry, but alas my interest in this hobby is weakening the more I grow up, and thus it's why I lean to the more casual, arcade-y or classic games. It does make me way more appreciative to certain games though. (Rhythm Heaven Fever being a big one.)

Dammit, that makes me sound like an old geezer when I'm only 16.
I understand how you feel, I've watched as the gaming industry has fluctuated for many years, and I at one point my interest started to wane. However, in recent years, my yearning for better games and my hope for revolution have risen to new heights. I don't really know why I changed, maybe it's because I got into reviewing or because my ambition to become a game developer and revolutionize the industry myself grew, but I've been having more fun in recent years.

Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.
I completely agree with you, there is no other system that I love more than the PS2, and I regard it as the greatest system of all time because of it. It is a shame that gaming has degenerated to the point that it has, but as I always say, there's always hope. I feel that, as time goes on, the whole "rehash tactic" is becoming more and more stale with the consumer. I remember a few days ago, I heard some core gamers talking about how CoD was getting boring, even saying that they wouldn't buy the next one. That made me smile. I've noticed that, slowly but surely, the core and casual gamers are growing tires of this "minimal effort" tactic by publishers such as EA and Activision, and more, that "niche" titles like Persona 4 Golden, Ni no Kuni, and various other titles are getting attention from those that previously wouldn't have batted an eye at them, and I think that this could mean great things for the industry.

I mean, it's not that I want CoD to die, I liked 1-4 because back then the games had engaging stories as well as engaging multiplayers, but now all it does it tell developers that they can do as little as possible and charge as much as possible. If the consumer changes, however, then Infinity Ward and Treyarch will be forced to innovate, and the games that people loved would rise from the ashes.

---

Also, if you guys don't mind, I just posted my review of .Hack//G.U. - Rebirth, and I'd be happy if you guys would read it. It took way longer than I expected to write.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformers were Wario Land 4, Mario vs Donkey Kong and the 2 surprisingly great Crash Bandicoot games. (Mind you, I haven't played DK: King of Swings but if Jungle Climber is anything to go by I'm sure it's pretty good, but really gimmicky.) Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all. Also, don't get me started on Sonic...

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformer was Wario Land 4. Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all.
Yeah forgot fighting which was also top of this gen, I'm not gonna deny it. The GBA comment though...the hell? Drill Dozer, the two Klonoa's, Megaman Zero 1-4, Kirby Return to Dremland and a whole slew of other games which were 100% new are on it. I dunno what GBA you owned, but it killed when it came to 2D platforming goodness. And more action then platformer still makes it a platformer if you're running around, jumping from place to place. There's a reason why action-platformers exists.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.

The PS2 platformers were rather...eh. I like them, don't get me wrong, but Jak 1 aside they're often regarded as action/adventure games, and that's really their big strength, because their platforming is often subpar. No one is gonna remember them as platformers, just because it has platforming. Going back to an example above, it's like calling a Metroid game a platformer because you jump on platformers but that's really not what the series is about at all, or calling Skyrm a first person shooter.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.
Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I haven't played much of Klanoa for the GBA, but one of my most nostalgic games is Klanoa 2 for the PS2. I just remember buying it one day because it looked interesting and then playing it over and over again for years, I absolutely loved that game as a child.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm playing the ever living crap out of it right now, that's why I'm suddenly reminded of the GBA ones, haha I actually played them when they came out almost a decade ago, and Klonoa 2 made that little light bulb in my head go off. Easy game, might be a bit short, but the 150+ gem collecting in every level for concept art is gonna have me glued to it. Also thinking about getting Pacman World 2 for no reason whatsoever other than nostalgia. That game was fun.

Years
Pacman is one of my all-time favorites; although the only one I've played is the original version. I should really get to trying Pacman 2 and such, apparently there is a Mrs. Pacman game so I might wanna check that out. :3

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.
Is that so? I was under the impression that it was an action sidescroller with some platforming from what I saw and played, but I only played bits of the first game and I never felt the platforming was anything threatening unlike the original Mega Man games. Maybe the platforming gets dangerous later on but eh.
Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.
Even if it's a solid platformer (I have no doubt it is), it's still obscure and only few probably know about it. I was hesitant of mentioning the Crash platformers myself until I remembered they were released not long after the PS1 games so Crash was still as big and relevant as he was at that time. I mean, I'm sure there are other great platformers last gen I don't know of, but when I think of the big names I think of nothing. (Wario Land is in the end is still a B-tier Nintendo franchise and Mario vs Donkey Kong didn't get any recognition.) I may have perhaps misworded my previous post and should have mentioned the popularity of brands. Either way, my point still stands that platformers this gen was way better than last gen's, ports or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back