• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen No more incessant beeping!

Years
In the fifth generation games, Black and White and Black 2 and White 2, when your Pokémon's HP was low on health, instead of the beeping that played in previous games, the music is replaced with a more dire track that basically says "oh man, you're running low on health!"

Personally, I really don't like it, for the fact that it cuts out the music you're currently hearing. It's especially jarring in important fights like N, Ghetsis, Colress, Iris in B2/W2, it's really annoying when it cuts that out. That and there are still beeps covered beneath the track. XY did it best with four quick beeps and then it goes to normal music. It's one of the things about Generation V I can say I dislike - minor, but still there.

What do you think about them having the critical music in these games? Do you think it was a wise idea of them to replace the beeping or do you find it annoying? Discuss.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
It is a bit annoying when the music changes during the fights with good music, but at least it lessens the obnoxiousness of the low HP beeping. I hate that beeping. "Stfu already! I know my Pokemon is at low HP!"

So while X/Y did it much better with a few beeps and then cutting them off, I'll still take Gen 5's low HP music over pre-Gen 5's constant beeping any day.

Years
It drove me insane. I loved listening to the battle music as I was amidst a battle so having that suddenly be replaced with the "danger" sound put me off a lot, to the point where I lowered my volume just so I wouldn't have to hear it. ]: It's even more annoying when you're in a battle you know you'll win without problems and quickly run to your bag to use that Hyper Potion/swap Pokemon so the sound will stop, lol. Eh. Glad it's gone.

Years
I actually kinda liked how they did this approach, but I do admit it ruins battles at times when it's one with extremely epic music. X/Y did at least go back to constant beeping but only made it last a short time which does at least compensate, but I did like that they tried something different for a change since I hated the constant beeping during the older generations.

Years
I never had a problem with the low health music, as while it would cut out epic music, it would make the battles feel more intense.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I really didn't like that. Not that the song doesn't sound good, it was just...disruptive. I really enjoy the music in Pokemon games, especially the battle themes, so to have that song interrupt a great battle with great music, like the Ghetsis or N battles, it was really a pain. It ruins the mood and interrupts songs that I like way more than it, so yeah.

Also, I feel like I'm the only person that isn't bothered by past generations' beeping sound. I don't know why. It just never bothered me too much? Kind of in gen I though because it cuts out the bass part which is my favorite and it gels the music together so it just sounds weird without it. Okay, I'mma stop. lol

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Ehhh, I didn't really like the song all that much. It was too distracting for my tastes. Not only that, but it always cuts off many great theme songs.

I'm pretty happy with what they did in X and Y. Even though I don't care about the constant beeping sound in previous generations, it's still nice to not hear it all the time. xP

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I really didn't like this at all. Especially during Gym Battles when the gym leader is on their final set of Pokemon and that awesome theme plays when you're about to become victorious. This music ruins a lot of the awesome tracks the BW/2 series had to offer. I see what they were trying to do there, but it got annoying by the time I got to Skyla in B/W. I find it cool how they have the music change depending on the status of the battle on either side, but at least make it something more enjoyable. The amount of headaches this gave me. xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
It destroys the whole immersion of the battle. You fight Ghetsis and there's this evil and dark tune playing in the background and suddenly this kinda cartoonish melody starts to play and all the immersion is gone.

It would have been cool, if they changed the critical health melody in the important battles to one that blends into the normal one playing in that fight. Like it's playing a kinda depressing tune and as your Pokemon reaches critical health it gets even more dark and depressing until you heal it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really didn't like it, mainly because there wasn't a reason for the change in my eyes. I already was well aware of whenever my Pokemon were in the red health zone, and the music change didn't help at all. It mostly took away from my experience, because the music they played wasn't as grand as basically every other battle track, so I always dreaded its onset.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I actually got a little anxious when the music changed, especially when I was running a nuzlocke at the time. I was like NO DON'T DIE and I tried to resist because I couldn't use items during battle. ;;

However, the feature is a lot less annoying than the BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
Years
I'm a weirdo: I actually really loved it -- it was so much better than the usual beeboop, beeboop, beeboop of the other games and I thought it added to the intensity of the battle. Honestly I think if the beeping is an issue for people, why not get rid of it all together? I could see why it made sense back in the day with the grey and yellow game boy screens and all but now we have 3D and full color, we don't need sound to see that our bar is now very empty and red.

Nakala Pri

Well, in the older games, once the beeping started I was all 'SHUT UP FLAPJACK!!' and I'd just mute it, but then I usually forgot to put the volume back on so it usually resulted in me just giving up on the volume altogether. I think it was a really nice touch and now I can actually enjoy the battle tunes without getting a headache. :D

Years
I prefer the gen 5 "you're low on health" soundtrack over the legendarily annoying beeping, but I do agree with everyone above. The change in music was exhilarating when it came to when I was in ordinary battles, but with battles with special you'll-only-hear-it-once music, it was pretty unwelcomed. ;~;

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I liked the music in regular trainer and wild battles, but for legends and special trainers they should have disabled it. It really ruins the mood in the Ghetsis battle from B/W, because it's such a dark piece of music and then it gets over taken by this high energy panic music and it just doesn't work.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I like the approach of how the music changed into low health music, because it makes the situation feel much more intense in certain way. Even though sometimes it feels a bit strange because the music cuts out just a few seconds before the Pokémon is fainted, I personally think they should keep it until the moment health is restored, or until after the switch.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think it made the games so much more exciting. Like, it's not just a oh no I might be losing... it's like: NO. YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING NOW.

The beeping was just a pain this at least made it seem more urgent lol I mean in saying that I just put it on and... it's a lot worse than I remember. Honestly I think it encouraged people to switch out more often and play safer? lmao

Back