• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Axiom Version (Open World/Side Quests/721 Pokémon)

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
o8HGVmO.png

STORY
You're one of your Professor Magonlia's assistants in the Drosera Region, helping her with her research into reviving old fossils. When going to one of her dig sites, you found an evil group is stealing the Professor's reviving technology and modifying it to allow them to fuse Pokemon together to make them even stronger! During your adventure to stop Team Nexus, you'll be exploring the world, challenging the gym leaders, helping strangers, eventually to become the Champion of the Drosera League! Even after you've completed the League, that's just the beginning! There is a ton more to explore and accomplish after becoming Champion!

FEATURES

Open World
Once you've gotten through the introductory portion of the game, the Drosera Region is entirely open for you to explore in whatever way you like, with new and unique areas. You can beat the gyms in whichever order you choose, as the gym leaders will match their team's strength to your team's depending on how strong you are as a trainer. The general story line for fighting the evil team stays the same regardless of what order you decide to take on the League. Trainers around you will get stronger as you progress as well!

Tons of Side Quests
Axiom will have tons of optional side quests that will take you into dungeons and overworld areas that the main story line won't take you. They can range in rewards and difficulty, easy quests can earn you accessories or foreign Pokémon, while the more difficult quests could reward you with battle items, special moves from a move tutor, or even Legendary Pokémon! Own a house, run a farm, compete in tournaments, there are tons of different activities to explore!

Decreased Random Encounters
To make exploration, a key portion of this game, less tedious, a few key changes have been made. Unavoidable random encounters in caves have been removed, instead you will have to avoid the most dimly lit portions of the cave if you want to avoid Pokémon. Water routes have been overhauled, instead of surfing on the backs of your Pokémon, you will find yourself able to own and operate your own personal boat to traverse deep water, and your own inner tube to assist you travelling across shallow water!

Expanded Pokedex
Eventually I hope that Pokemon will be attainable in this hack through a variety of different means. That being said, t's very important to me to make sure the region doesn't feel cluttered, so to catch many of the Pokemon you will need to talk to Exotic Fish Breeders, Fossil Maniacs, and Pet Shops. You'll also have to look very deep into the caves and forests to find secret places to catch certain Pokemon, and you will have to employ different encounter methods like Rock Smash, Sweet Scent, and using bait. While many will be obtainable, do not expect to be able to find more than 2 or 3 distinct lines of species per area per encounter method.

Removed HMs
I've gotten rid of HMs in favor of giving the player items throughout the story that will allow you to accomplish what HMs previously would. A boat, an inner tube, rock climbing tools, and other tools will be put to use to explore the entire region!

Fusion Pokemon
Team Nexus, the evil team in this hack, uses Fusion Pokemon, which are fusions of similar Pokemon with buffed stats and move pools! They can be incredibly difficult to beat, but if you can figure out what the original Pokemon were then you can probably figure out their weaknesses!
(note: Fusion Pokémon will not be obtainable by the player. With base stats almost double that of Arceus, it would be unreasonable and would invalidate every other Pokémon. they're just boss battles.)

Customizable Character
Although not on the same level as XY and SuMo, this hack will allow you to choose from a variety of different outfits that you can wear throughout your adventure! While you will start with a basic three options to choose from, you can acquire more and more as you explore the Drosera Region.

Updated Battle Mechanics
Physical/Special Split, Fairy Type, BW Repel system, Gen 7 EXP share, etc. As the opponent trainers get stronger, they will begin to use more competitive movesets, EV train their Pokemon, and improve their AI.

SCREENSHOTS

6Vbykuu.png

In3DF9G.png
6dYOzKK.png

5pdAviS.png
0qfywz3.png

4eNxtDv.png
IJ5M9rP.png

MAPS

9 total:
Spoiler:

GYM LEADERS
AND
MAJOR CHARACTERS
Spoiler:

CREDITS

Individuals
DizzyEgg - Upgraded Battle Engine, C help, Emerald Pokédex Expansion
Mateo - Tiles
Spherical Ice - ASM
lost - ASM
and all of the people who have helped me problem solve and think ideas through on Discord that I have not mentioned.

Tools Used Thus Far
Advance Map
HxD
PKSV
XSE
VBA-M
Photoshop
APE
unLZ GBA
Sphere
NTME
THUMB Editor & Assembler

(If I missed you, please message me on here or on Discord and I'll add you ASAP)

CURRENT STATUS

I have up through the first few major plot points completed, but I don't want to release anything until I am sure that the sava data will be future-proof. Once I've talking to some other ROM hackers about this and made sure players won't have to reset progress if I change how certain things work in upcoming updates, I'll look into releasing an alpha build.

If you have any questions ask me on here or on Discord, I'm pretty much always lurking on here, and I'm always active on Discord.

Invite link to my personal hack discord: https://discord.gg/5vX62Am

Last edited:

megaman d

novice scripter
Years
The map looks cool and new. I am not sure if decreased encounter is to be liked or to be hated (Can't grind or search for rare easily). But I can say for sure that this would be great. Good luck with it.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
The map looks cool and new. I am not sure if decreased encounter is to be liked or to be hated (Can't grind or search for rare easily). But I can say for sure that this would be great. Good luck with it.

The thing I hate most about vanilla Pokémon games is the grinding that can be necessary to keep an entire team up to level, so my aim is for grinding to be unnecessary in the hack. That being said, for players who do want to grind levels, there will be many places where you can rebattle trainers who own Pokémon that give high amounts of EXP when defeated.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I'm interested in seeing how you're going to implement the open-world aspect for this, both story/gym-wise and map-wise. Are the maps going to be big and connected to each other as in the region map? I'm hoping for a variety of environments to keep it interesting.

As for the encounters, I wouldn't mind tall grass having a very low (1%) chance of encountering Pokémon rather than nothing, just so you don't actually play for ages without encountering a single one. Though I guess that depends on the other means of encounter you're going to include.

Good luck with this!

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I'm interested in seeing how you're going to implement the open-world aspect for this, both story/gym-wise and map-wise. Are the maps going to be big and connected to each other as in the region map? I'm hoping for a variety of environments to keep it interesting.

As for the encounters, I wouldn't mind tall grass having a very low (1%) chance of encountering Pokémon rather than nothing, just so you don't actually play for ages without encountering a single one. Though I guess that depends on the other means of encounter you're going to include.

Good luck with this!

Eh, I guess I wasn't super clear with the decreased random encounters. Tall grass will still have normal (slightly decreased) encounters. It's the caves and water areas that are taking the hit mainly.

Beating gyms is not essential to completing the main storyline. The difficulty of the gym is determined by how far you are in the story, so that the levels are still challenging no matter how far you get while skipping gyms.

Years
Where does the story come in? If you take away all the general things that make pokemon well pokemon (basically what i'm saying is, the way you wrote the description makes it sound like battling/leveling, both essentials in pokemon, isn't really that important), you need to have something else it focuses on entirely and not the open world concept, I mean that's cool but I think you'll need a strong story so i'm interested to see if that's going to be something strong in this game.

Piqued my interest, hopefully the stories good.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Where does the story come in? If you take away all the general things that make pokemon well pokemon (basically what i'm saying is, the way you wrote the description makes it sound like battling/leveling, both essentials in pokemon, isn't really that important), you need to have something else it focuses on entirely and not the open world concept, I mean that's cool but I think you'll need a strong story so i'm interested to see if that's going to be something strong in this game.

Piqued my interest, hopefully the stories good.

There's still regular trainer battles throughout the entire game during exploration, and for the main storyline. You get to do most of your Gym battles in any order you want or not at all. The AI is going to be updated as well, with trainers using more competitive movesets and strategies. Battling is very much a central part of the hack, I do want to remove the more tedious aspects like grinding levels and constant backtracking to heal, though.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
There's still regular trainer battles throughout the entire game during exploration, and for the main storyline. You get to do most of your Gym battles in any order you want or not at all. The AI is going to be updated as well, with trainers using more competitive movesets and strategies. Battling is very much a central part of the hack, I do want to remove the more tedious aspects like grinding levels and constant backtracking to heal, though.
In that case, you should also do something about EV training, since that is even more tedious than grinding levels (in my opinion, at least).

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
This game is looking dope already! I love the idea of a sandbox Pokémon game where you can progress as you please. It feels more realistic so that you aren't boxed in to a certain town etc. I quite like the idea of no cave & water encounters, especially when I've read that there will be places to grind against high EXP trainers. The screenshots have me excited - the maps are so gorgeous!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project, good luck!​

Last edited:

felynari

Remembering something that no one else can is a pa
Years
Liking the decreased encounter feature in caves and waters and the story looks interesting so far. Gonna bookmark this for updates.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I didn't do anything for the RPS person because Christos mentioned he had an idea for giving the player a Lucky Egg if you lose a number of times in a row.

So, quick update. I've talked to a few people about making sure that the alpha build will be future-proof, so now I know what exactly what I need to change with the save data right to make sure I won't have to in the later (making everyone restart). I also need to redo a lot of the region, since a lot of the old maps are frankly pretty ugly and bad for gameplay. It's gonna be a bit, because I don't want to put out anything that's rushed.

In the mean time, here's some new teaser maps:

Spoiler:

MasterBallz

MasterBall Abuser
Years
I like the screenshots and most of the features except fusion pokemon which always seemed lazy to me like how people recolor existing pokemon and call them something different or delta mons.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 8, 2017
Awesome game that is upcoming. I would love to feature this game on my youtube channel with permission of course!

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I like the screenshots and most of the features except fusion pokemon which always seemed lazy to me like how people recolor existing pokemon and call them something different or delta mons.

It's purely a gimmick for boss battles. I don't plan on making them obtainable.

Dark

SW-8589-1512-3501
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This hack seems so promessing, cant wait to try it... Is there gonna be a demo or apha?

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Quick update before I head to bed. A few new maps:

Primrose Desert
Spoiler:

Desert Pass
Spoiler:

Gilia Canyon
Spoiler:

I also made a lot of progress on side quest planning, major character planning, and I've been working on refining my plan for dynamic trainer levels. An alpha will be out as soon as I can get a decent portion of the game playable!

Back