• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Anthroyd

Professor
Years

Percent Complete: 100%

DjbzAwf.png

Introduction

Pokémon Dreary tells a short story about a troubled Kanto region.
Journey through Kanto and uncover mysterious phenomena...
But most importantly, get to the Indigo Plateau while you still have the chance.

Features

Short Story Focus
Nearly All Original 151 Mons Available
Ability to Sleep in Beds
Start from Last Save on Death
Intelligent Enemy AI
Modern Pokémon Specs
Physical / Special Split
Convenient Repel System
Custom Soundtrack

Screenies

8TIhXZJ.png
BORYiWN.png
zSRFiLa.png
C7wwIcL.png
beZEMlw.png
27WP8iC.png
IK76MV6.png
0kSFaJh.png
nEkKKB0.png
fdjptez.png
raQjp6p.png
y6281gM.png
rqcFsGh.png
6NF8W7t.png

Videos

Spoiler:

Author's Notes

Pokémon Dreary is a project that was developed at a relatively speedy rate.
Dreary was started on August 24, 2018, and was completed on January 28th, 2019.
My goal is to tell a short story that I whipped up in my head during one of my regularly scheduled dozing-off sessions.
By no means is this a hack that is meant to bedazzle you with its technical prowess!
By all means, this is a hack that is meant to make you think, challenge you, and be an all around memorable experience.

Let me know what you think!
Stumble upon a glitch? Have a suggestion? I appreciate any and all feedback!
I hope you enjoy playing Pokémon Dreary as much as I enjoyed making it.

Sources

Spoiler:

Downloads

Most recent version: 1.4
(Apply the downloaded patch to a Pokémon FireRed v1.0 ROM)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0pz526zdaw005vy/Pok%E9mon_Dreary_v1.4.zip/file

Version Log

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Glitches

The MyBoy emulator on Android devices is not supported.​

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler:

Last edited:

RB11

Creator of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Advance
Years
This looks pretty interesting! I especially like the idea of a custom soundtrack and strategic battling. Will definitely give this a go.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Congrats on getting the thread up. I'm a sucker for Kanto plus always nice to see new hacks on the forum

Best of luck1

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2022
Wow this looks nice i also like the idea of a death instead of losing a battle sounds like its gunna be a challenging experience.Question:Will there be mega evolutions in the future?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I really like the idea of a short ROM hack. Liking how simple the screenies are. I might just wait for the full version since you are moving on pretty quickly with this project. Good luck. :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Finished the beta can't wait for the next one
Bugs/Glitches
Green is still on route 1 after he says his going to the indigo plateau
There's a npc stuck on top of a bookshelf in cinnabar lab
And some grammar errors
that's it

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
RB11 said:
This looks pretty interesting! I especially like the idea of a custom soundtrack and strategic battling. Will definitely give this a go.

Definitely tried hard to find some spot on atmospheric music for this game. Hope you enjoy your playthrough!

masterquestmq said:
Congrats on getting the thread up. I'm a sucker for Kanto plus always nice to see new hacks on the forum

Best of luck1

Thanks. Kanto is pretty easy to work with.

charmite40534 said:
Wow this looks nice i also like the idea of a death instead of losing a battle sounds like its gunna be a challenging experience.Question:Will there be mega evolutions in the future?

Mega evolutions will not be a part of the hack in the future, since I'm primarily interested in the storyline rather than technical aspects. Yes, the death penalty certainly makes things more challenging because you're not allowed to just grind to prepare for a battle--you've gotta use your limited item stack and, if you're observant, find a bed to sleep in.

Inner Rhymes said:
I really like the idea of a short ROM hack. Liking how simple the screenies are. I might just wait for the full version since you are moving on pretty quickly with this project. Good luck. :)

Short ROM hacks are so much easier to handle and definitely more fun to create. Results come easy and everybody's happy that they don't have to spend too much time playing. :)
Waiting for the full version is a perfectly good idea. It won't be long!

Zack knight said:
Finished the beta can't wait for the next one
Bugs/Glitches
Green is still on route 1 after he says his going to the indigo plateau
There's a npc stuck on top of a bookshelf in cinnabar lab
And some grammar errors
that's it

Nice! Thanks for the glitch report. As for the grammer issues, specifics would be helpful, but of course I'll be going back through and scanning for them from time to time.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2022
Definitely tried hard to find some spot on atmospheric music for this game. Hope you enjoy your playthrough!

Thanks. Kanto is pretty easy to work with.

Mega evolutions will not be a part of the hack in the future, since I'm primarily interested in the storyline rather than technical aspects. Yes, the death penalty certainly makes things more challenging because you're not allowed to just grind to prepare for a battle--you've gotta use your limited item stack and, if you're observant, find a bed to sleep in.

Short ROM hacks are so much easier to handle and definitely more fun to create. Results come easy and everybody's happy that they don't have to spend too much time playing. :)
Waiting for the full version is a perfectly good idea. It won't be long!

Nice! Thanks for the glitch report. As for the grammer issues, specifics would be helpful, but of course I'll be going back through and scanning for them from time to time.

oh wait what you cant grind and have a limited item stack ok this is gunna be fun cant wait for it!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 20, 2021
Kanto + Dark story? Yes, please! This is a great idea, and I look forward for the final version. Best of luck. :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 10, 2022
This has actually become my number 1 lesser-known pokemon rom hack. I've never seen the title "Pokemon Dreary" on Youtube (I found it by just looking at a list of Rom hacks), let alone at the popularity of "Pokemon Adventure Red" (My favorite Rom hack) Found quite a diamond in the rough with this one. The custom soundtrack makes it so much better. Hope it gets to be complete rather than abandoned. I'll certainly be playing until the end.

Last edited:

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
This has actually become my number 1 lesser-known pokemon rom hack. I've never seen the title "Pokemon Dreary" on Youtube (I found it by just looking at a list of Rom hacks), let alone at the popularity of "Pokemon Adventure Red" (My favorite Rom hack) Found quite a diamond in the rough with this one. The custom soundtrack makes it so much better. Hope it gets to be complete rather than abandoned. I'll certainly be playing until the end.

Thanks, I appreciate it! The game is progressing as normal, I'd estimate maybe about a month before I'm able to release the full version.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Aye! Thought I'd bump by and ask how progress is coming along. I've really got my eyes focused on this.

Unfortunately I've been fighting a university administration for the past month, which has been a serious energy vampire. I'd say the game is still about 75 - 80% complete, but progress will be stalled for at least another week or so. Really hope to continue working on it soon.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Unfortunately I've been fighting a university administration for the past month, which has been a serious energy vampire. I'd say the game is still about 75 - 80% complete, but progress will be stalled for at least another week or so. Really hope to continue working on it soon.

Don't stress yourself out too much bud. Your real life matters come first before this ROM Hack. I hope that everything goes well and that you have on real strong. We are all more than ready to wait! Stay well!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ayy this looks really good so far. Will give it a go when I get the chance!

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Man, oh mna, I am so tempted to play the latest release. Thought i'd ask if the final version will be compatible with the saves of the current version available.

The final release will be next, and yes it will be fully compatible with current save files! Be aware though, I am constantly adding tidbits of content to earlier parts of the game and polishing things up, so if you were to resume a previous save, you may miss a few details. Nothing major, though.
Hillsy13 said:
Ayy this looks really good so far. Will give it a go when I get the chance!

Thanks!

I'm working on a new titlescreen as well. Hoping the rest turns out all right:

8z6Z5Id.png

Last edited:
Back