• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: [META] Potential changes to the ASM Resource Thread

Years
Would users prefer the ASM Resource Thread stay as it is, or if we split up the individual resources within the thread into their own, unique threads. This would mean questions pertaining to specific resources and routines would get the attention they deserve in their own thread, instead of bumping off other resources from view. It would also increase searchability due to the key words in titles. The current thread could then be used as an index for these resources.

What do you think? We want to use this thread to gauge user feedback before making such a change.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
Would users prefer the ASM Resource Thread stay as it is, or if we split up the individual resources within the thread into their own, unique threads. This would mean questions pertaining to specific resources and routines would get the attention they deserve in their own thread, instead of bumping off other resources from view. It would also increase searchability due to the key words in titles. The current thread could then be used as an index for these resources.

What do you think? We want to use this thread to gauge user feedback before making such a change.

I think it will be great, because with more options will be more easy to search and find specific threads. I think separating some way like Help Threads will be good.

EDIT: In addition I think the forum needs to separate the ROM hacking by generation.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Is there a specific location these resources would go? Because that thread is bloody massive and that's going to be a lot of threads that might clog up a forum and drive out a lot of the threads there previously.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Is there a specific location these resources would go? Because that thread is bloody massive and that's going to be a lot of threads that might clog up a forum and drive out a lot of the threads there previously.

Research & Development has traditionally been the routine sharing subforum, so related posts will be separated into threads there. Some posts would obviously be better suited to a different section (some would fit in better as a Resource, for example) and can be moved as well.

I don't think that this is a good idea. A central thread consolidates the little routines in one place and an updated index of what's in the thread put in the first post would be the best solution. If you separate out the threads, you bloat the Research and Development subforum with tons of mostly tiny and not all that groundbreaking ASM routines and bury the big and useful stuff that's already there that should be on top (such as the research threads that make actual discoveries and need more attention to attract contributers). We don't need a thread for colored stats on the status screen, or recalculating an entire party's stats, or the ability capsule (just as examples from the last page); and I certainly do not want the Research and Development subforum to turn into the ASM Beginner's Lounge (though that would be a nice idea for a subforum of its own. With the merger of Fangames and ROMHacks and the amount of real estate we take up compared to the useless sections of PokeCommunity, I find that an unlikely possibility).

Help and feedback for the routines should be funneled to an ASM Help Thread or something similar (or perhaps their own Beginner's Lounge threads, as it is about asking for help), with the person asking the question directly quoting the post with the routine in it to notify the original poster. If the entire problem is a perceived difficulty in receiving help with the routines, I think it is overkill to basically trash the Research and Development subforum to help the minority of users who are asking questions in the ASM Resource Thread. Better to separate out the questions and provide some protocol for asking them rather than convert the most interesting and contributive subforum into a free-for-all. If someone improves the routine or updates it, they can put it in the ASM Resource Thread and quote the post with the routine they've improved.

This approach accomplishes two things. One, it keeps the ASM Resource Thread intact and dedicated to individual routines made by the community, as it should be. Once the change has solidified in the users' minds and we're used to the questions being separate, the thread will be pared down and less bloated with tangents and side conversations that are useless for the average reader (presumably the one off questions sitting in the thread now that do not contribute or are general noob "how do I ASM" would be deleted by the mods or moved). An index post on the first page would hopefully be updated every time the thread reaches a new page. Perhaps volunteers can post an updated index for the page before last which would be later merged into the first post (deleting it from the last page in the process).

Two, there will be an appropriate place for people to ask questions that do not derail the intent of the ASM Resource Thread and the Research and Development subforum as a whole. I frequented the ASM Resource and Quick R&D Threads religiously over the past few years, and it seems to me like a vast majority of the questions being asked are very general questions about how to make the ASM work and not problems with the specific routine or research. These queries need to be answered, no question about that, but the 100th time over the life a thread dedicated to posting community-made routines is not the place for them. The Research and Development subforum at large is also not the place for them. Separating the questions out into another thread (heck, sticky it at the top of the R&D subforum so people actually see and use it) avoids both of those problems, and allows us to consolidate the answers to those common ASM questions that have nothing to do with specific routines into the first post, while giving people the ability to ask targeted questions about specific routines without creating bloat in the ASM Resource Thread itself or burying the R&D subforum in a torrent of useless threads. It'd even be the perfect place to ask questions like, "Why did you do it this way as opposed to doing it this way?" which are the types of questions that are immensely helpful for raising the general ASM literacy in our community; sparks discussion about best implementation, practices, and optimization; but definitely had no place in the ASM Resource Thread as it stands today.
It would also increase searchability due to the key words in titles.
I just wanted to address this point specifically. PokeCommunity's search is laughably bad. But the index in the first post of the ASM Resource Thread completely sidesteps this problem. The searchability of the thread has been a nonissue since the index post format was adopted (or would be if it was consistently updated, which is why I think the volunteers doing it every page is the answer). A person can Ctrl + F keywords on the first page of the ASM Resource Thread much more easily than plugging them into the forum's search and hoping for the best. Why we don't encourage our users to use Google with the site:pokecommunity.com specifier I will never know.

Also, thank you for at least telegraphing the plans for this change and looking for feedback. Let's spark a discussion on this!

EDIT:
Research & Development has traditionally been the routine sharing subforum, so related posts will be separated into threads there. Some posts would obviously be better suited to a different section (some would fit in better as a Resource, for example) and can be moved as well.
While it was the routine sharing subforum in the past, I feel that it has morphed into something very different. The era of the ASM hackers keeping us in the dark and sharing their (laughable by today's standards) routines amongst themselves while the rest of us look on is long over. It doesn't make sense, with so many of us able to make the tiny routines now, to revert the R&D subforum to that model. My hope is for the R&D subforum's content to be more like these threads which are decently sized engine changes or genuinely interesting research into game mechanics and features. I think that most of these threads are exemplary posts to the R&D subforum and that is the kind of content that we should be encouraging there. Separating the ASM Resource Thread out into the wider subforum will ruin the direction that it has evolved toward and we will all be worse off for it.

I hope I'm making sense here. I'm very tired and may not be articulating myself as well as I (hopefully) normally do. Sorry for blowing up your notifications too, I'm noticing a lot of typos as I read back over this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
To address this "clogging" point, it would be a simple matter to add more filters to the section which would enable better sorting of threads by general topic.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I think you guys can split it into multiple threads provided that there is still a stickied main index thread with links to the other thread.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I still think the first-post index is fine as long as we get consistent updates for posts. Maybe whoever updates it can set a specific schedule to update it once a week so that all the new stuff gets added in properly? It still seems pointless to me to turn literally everything into threads, and even with filters, it's going to be a hot, steaming pile of mess. Deo's post has a lot of good ideas - maybe go with that instead.

To address this "clogging" point, it would be a simple matter to add more filters to the section which would enable better sorting of threads by general topic.

Filters only disguise the issue, they don't solve it. The subforum will still be a mess that will inevitably devolve into a free-for-all. Quality posts will still be buried for the average reader who's just browsing around. There's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater when our current setup works well, is organized, and is easy to navigate and could solve all of the perceived problems with a few minor tweaks. A stickied help thread and more robust index post is the way to go.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I think the thread is already convenient. I agree with NewDenverCity that the thread just needs to be updated like once a month or so. I like that the thread is indexed.

I also agree with mbcn10ww that the rom hacking should be seperated by game generation.

Years
What do you guys feel about other, similarly small ASM resources which currently have their own threads? Should they stay as they are, or get merged with the resource thread?

Back