• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Franchises good for RP?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
What franchises (other than Pokémon) do you think could lend themselves well to RP? Why would they work/how could you see them working?

I'm kinda back on my Doctor Who bullshit lmao but I genuinely think it would be very fun to RP an incarnation of the Doctor and their conpanions in an episodic style, jumping around between planets and scenarios and allowing for all kinds of adventures!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I suppose Genshin Impact? Because there's over 50 characters, but, really any series with a good world can be written in the context of roleplay, if you bend it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well, sure, of course anything can be created with interest and effort. But I suppose I mean more like, what franchises are super easy to pull a story out of? What worlds are so solidly set up that making a game in them requires few tweaks or clarifications? What's easy to just come up with ideas for, off the top of your head?

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
You want me to be honest, with some tweaks and limitations? Imo Fate is a great franchise to Roleplay if you want some combat, action, and magic-y stuff in an RP. On a basic level it's just an all-out melee done by mages for a holy grail that grants wishes, but with various character and traits that both the master (Mages, or non-mage in a certain reason) and the servants (Historical heroes or famous characters) have, either they work together well or clashes because they have different belief and how they interact with other pair is what makes the RP fun. Sadly as it's a melee, JP becomes more essential as it's probably 50% of the content and one of the main reasons why it's fun.

Source: The two campaigns of D&D I did use the Fate Franchise as the main setting.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Doctor Who RP... wow honestly that has so much potential?! Considering the episodic nature and extremely wide choice of setting and genre; it could even be structured so that many players sign up with a character and then the GM announces that an episode is going to be played out in the coming months and asks those 2-4 players who are available to sign up specifically for that. And then the exact details of when the Doctor picks up and leaves whom will be sorted as needed but essentially people don't live on the TARDIS.
... sorry, it just sounded interesting and I'm obviously a DW fan :>

Digimon technically should lend itself well to RPing, as you get to play 2 characters who can interact and you have the convenient isekai aspect to some degree depending on what show you use as a basis. However I have yet to see a Digimon RP thrive here ;;

Other than that, I honestly seem to have trouble coming up with anything specific. As has been said, it might be more about how the RP and plot/setting and mechanics is structured and less about what setting it actually is.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Anything can work well I think! It just depends on what kinda RP you want. Different series won't cater as well to the same type of RP. Mario's not so great for a more serious and gritty action RP, but makes for a great more casual RP where gags and quirky shenaniganry carries the fun. I've always thought Kingdom Hearts and Sailor Moon still have unrealized potential.

On a lesser note, I've always wanted to try a Shantae, Disney Fairies RP, or Golden Sun RP. I feel like those could be a breath of fresh air in my life.

Years
Doctor Who RP... wow honestly that has so much potential?! Considering the episodic nature and extremely wide choice of setting and genre; it could even be structured so that many players sign up with a character and then the GM announces that an episode is going to be played out in the coming months and asks those 2-4 players who are available to sign up specifically for that. And then the exact details of when the Doctor picks up and leaves whom will be sorted as needed but essentially people don't live on the TARDIS.
... sorry, it just sounded interesting and I'm obviously a DW fan :>

Digimon technically should lend itself well to RPing, as you get to play 2 characters who can interact and you have the convenient isekai aspect to some degree depending on what show you use as a basis. However I have yet to see a Digimon RP thrive here ;;

Other than that, I honestly seem to have trouble coming up with anything specific. As has been said, it might be more about how the RP and plot/setting and mechanics is structured and less about what setting it actually is.
Based Dr. Who fan

Also, I'd say a lot of open-world RPGs have good RP settings, but then again I'm a sucker for open-world RPGs lol

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Much like everyone else said, I think mostly any RPG can do well in RP.

As for animes:
My Hero Academia - I think this one would be extremly awesome to do. You get one thing you are really good at and can develop that. I remember a while ago, there was a Hero Based RP and it was amazing, but never got off the ground. I don't know if My Hero Academia had been out yet or not, but it may have been what it was inspired by.

Sword Art Online - I feel like this would also be an amazing anime to do an RP about. I think there had been a few when SAO was popular, but I do not know how far it got.

Demon Slayer - This would be good as well. You could easily create a story in the same world and I think it would be an awesome character customization like RP.

Years
Going to second Genshin. The world is enormous with a hell of a lot of lore to draw from. It'd be very easy to explore alternative timelines, eras before or after those of the games or even to play around with canon characters if that's more your vibe.

I think the webtoon Eleceed has a lot of potential if you want to get into a more action-based urban fantasy/anime-esque world. The Korean release is further along so I don't know how much deeper the worldbuilding actually goes, but from what I've seen so far of the English version it's very light, but gives you just enough information that you could put something together with.

Back