• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] The Curtains are Blue

Years
We've all heard this one. Some author describes the curtains as blue for no real reason and then a decade or two later someone is deconstructing that scene dressing and assuming it's a metaphor for a deep and profound sadness. The question then is, how deep should people read into your writing? What hidden meanings, if any, are layered within?

Bay

Years
Usually with my writing I don't plan in advance having x scene/story be an overall metaphor. A friend though commented on Foul Play has this theme of tourism similar to real life tourism in Hawaii, which wasn't my intention haha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I would say you probably should read my work deeply, but not everything is a metaphor, or anything like that. Although, I do have references to other media (meta) that I want people to pay attention to and find. This is a lore heavy work, so I want people to think deeply about the lore rather than my metaphors and whatnot.

Days
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 31, 2023
Personally, I like to read and solve metaphors. It must be said that everything depends on the person himself and his perception. If we talk about the mentioned blue curtains, then for me personally, the blue colour is about a person's cold state of mind. I wouldn't call it sadness, but indifference and the absence of any feelings.

Years
I'm a pretty straightforward writer. I use plenty of similes and metaphors in my storytelling, but there's not generally a lot of secret meanings hidden behind every day things. I don't see the point of writing a story if nobody is going to actually get the meaning behind it. I want my readers to know exactly what I'm talking about.

Back