• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years

jk65dhy.png

original thread created by Volga
under editing ownership of The Undisputed Era
co-hosted by Shooting Star
title graphic by Fairy

Do you really like a certain type? Do you want to live that gym leader fantasy? Want to show everybody that you don't need puny concepts like "type diversity" to be the very best, like no ever was? Well, then you've come to the right place!

The Rules

1. You may only use Pokémon of your chosen type, or that evolve into your chosen type, in trainer battles.
  2. Two challenges don't stack, e.g.: only using Grass/Poison Pokémon won't count for both a Grass and Poison Monotype
  3. All Pokémon you use that aren't of your chosen type (e.g.: Charmander in a Flying run) must evolve into that type as soon as possible.
  4. You must use at least two Elite Four viable Pokémon in the final battle.
  5. Legendary Pokémon, Mythical Pokémon and Ultra Beasts may not be used.
  6. You may use any Pokémon for HMs, regardless of their type
  7. You may use Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves and Dynamax. That said, the Pokémon mega evolving must have the chosen type both before and after the Mega Evolution.
  8. You may only use Pokémon Amie / Pokémon Refresh to evolve Eevee into Sylveon, and in Gen VIII you may not use Pokémon Camp or friendship increasing berries.
  9. You may trade or hack in Pokémon for the sake of evolution (e.g.: Haunter into Gengar), provided you already have any necessary items.
  10. You may trade or hack in Nectars for Oricorio.
  11. All Pokémon traded or hacked in must have legal movesets (in the context of the game) as well as random IVs, natures and abilities. I.e.: Please don't trade / hack in your purebred 5 IVs perfect nature min-maxed Pokémon. They also need to be at or lower than the level of your strongest Pokémon.
  12. In rom hacks and fan games, the in game content decides what has a given type, so double check the game's documentation to make sure a Pokémon may be used. (E.g.: if a hack changed Charizard from Fire / Flying to Fire / Dragon, I wouldn't be able to use any Pokémon of that line for a Flying run in that hack)

The Ultimate Challenge

If one game's not enough for you, why not try seven? An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by successfully completing a run of a given type in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola.

Due to the Switch's status as a console, and the subsequent price increase in the hardware and the games, we've chosen to have the Galar and Paldea games remain optional for Ultimate runs for now.

These runs may be done in any order and in any main series games that feature them.

Rom hacks which don't alter the maps or plot in significant ways (usually marketed as "difficulty hacks" and / or "all Pokémon available") may be used in place of its retail equivalent.

Due to being introduced later in the series, and a lack of Pokémon of those types in the games, Dark and Steel ultimate runs can be done without Kanto.

As for the Fairy type, only Hoenn, Kalos and Alola are obligatory for Fairy monotypes (seeing as the Galar games and the Sinnoh remakes are Switch games).

Endpoints

For the main series games, we consider the game beat when the credits start rolling for the first time.

For rom hacks and fan games, it's up to you, but beating the Champion, Elite Four or seeing a credit roll is probably a good enough rule of thumb.

And if you want an extra challenge, you don't have to stop there! Here are some suggestions you might find interesting:
Spoiler:

Sign-up

Please read the rules carefully and then include the following form in a post.
Code:
User:
Type:
Game(s):
Single / Ultimate:

Challengers

Singles:
Spoiler:

Ultimate:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame

Singles:
Spoiler:

Ultimate:
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Pinging the thread to be on top. I hope the activity will continue to flow here just like it did in the previous thread. Good luck [user]The Undisputed Era[/user].

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Change log:
1. As of 29/05/2019, Mega evolutions will be allowed for monotype runs, having only 1 of them is advised to stop overpowered runs from taking place. However pokemon that gain a type when mega evolving can not be counted in a standard run, two examples of this would be Sceptile and Ampharos, both gain the dragon type when mega evolving but they cannot be included in a dragon mono run. Note that a pokemon losing a typing is still fine to use so long as the base pokemon itself has the type, an example of this would be Aggron losing its rock typing.

2. Free mode has been removed as a challenge option, I feel as though Free mode and single challenge are too similar to warrant them being needed separately. For people who wish to hack in pokemon outside of their game's regional dex, your run will be included on the "Hacks" section and will be labelled as such.

3. The Pokewalker and Dream radar rule has been removed as I feel nobody even uses these two things when doing runs so they don't warrant needing a rule.

4. Egg moves will be allowed from here on, Not sure why they were restricted in the first place, If you trade yourself an egg which has egg moves, feel free to use it. In a lot of the early games, type coverage for certain types is scarce so this may provide a little breath of fresh air.

Update:
I think I've managed to update the OP to match every update on the previous thread, if you see anything that is incorrect, please let me know! Happy Challenging!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Forum User Name: Transwiththeplans
Game(s): Ultra Sun
Pokémon Type: Dragon
Single/Ultimate: Single

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Ultimate Water Monotype: Ultra Moon, Part 1

I'd meant to save Alola for last, but I needed to start a new save file with Popplio in order to complete the Pokédex on another cartridge, and by the time I unlocked trading I was on a roll with the run, so here we go.

Spoiler:

Current Team:
Primarina (m) lvl 36
Barboach (f, "Babo") lvl 34
Poliwhirl (f) lvl 34 @Eviolite
Staryu lvl 33
Pelipper (f) lvl 37 @Sharp Beak

Last edited:

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Ultimate Water Monotype: Platinum

I apparently have gaming ADD right now, so while I'm still working on Ultra Moon, I've started my run of Platinum too.

Spoiler:

Current Team:
Pengwing the Prinplup (m), lvl 28
Marina the Buizel (f), lvl 24
Bibi the Bidoof (f), lvl 9

Last edited:
Years
For sign up, do you need to start fresh? I started a Poison Run of HeartGold about a week ago and im currently grinding for the E4. Or am I ok, as long as im not breaking any rules?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
For sign up, do you need to start fresh? I started a Poison Run of HeartGold about a week ago and im currently grinding for the E4. Or am I ok, as long as im not breaking any rules?

If you're already doing a challenge without signing up, you're perfectly fine to post when you have completed it and will be put on the champions as normal. The sign ups for me personally are just a great way for the owner of the thread to track who has a challenge running.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Dragon Type Monotype First and Last Update

image0.jpg

Ancalgon: 168/158/105/120/105/145
Diego: 164/163/158/88/78/117
Dianne: 158/158/159/119/146/140
Neptune: 162/130/137/132/108/122
Benedict: 171/157/108/152/100/92
Brimstone: 133/105/185/126/104/72

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Brimstone alone swept Hau, which I can respect immensely. I chose not to use Naganadel due to using him prior to this run...and he had HORRIBLE IVs. Couldn't KO anything, even with a Nasty Plot.

Years
Ok sweet, well if you want to keep with the organization

Forum User Name: Kezukov
Game(s): HG
Pokémon Type: Poison

Currently my team is a
Nidoking lv45
Tenacruel lv38
Haunter lv40
Weezing lv40
Weepinbell lv31
Crobat lv38

Last edited:

ZexceedKeil123

The Komaeda of Pokemon
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 24, 2020
Forum User Name:ZexceedKeil123
Game(s):OmegaRuby
Pokémon Type:Fighting
Will start this after my Solo Mightyena run

Last edited:

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
Hi there. Fancy new thread. I was confused at first lol. I'd like to point out before I update that I finished the Firered Bug monotype a looooong time ago (not that anyone cares) not normal. And my current run is on Soulsilver (also bug type).

Back to the adventures of Pest, the bug catcher.
I met a team rocket member who knew my name. My reputation exceeds me. He said, "Scram you Pest!" Right outside the radio tower. Haha, I'm famous!
I battled Whitney and nearly lost because Zzzt missed String Shot (X speed came in handy though)
I caught a male Yanma with my last Lure ball but I might not add it to the team.
I rage quit while leveling up Paralysect because Drowzee kept getting Critical Hits and landing so many Hypnosis (and String Shot misses!?)

Team:
Beedrill x2 (Bzzt and Zzzt) lv 20 & 18
Heracross (Hera) lv 19
Paras (Paralysect) lv 15
Scyther (GRASSHOPPER) lv 15
Boxed:
Yanma (Flygon) whatever level you find it in the wild

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Hi there. Fancy new thread. I was confused at first lol. I'd like to point out before I update that I finished the Firered Bug monotype a looooong time ago (not that anyone cares) not normal. And my current run is on Soulsilver (also bug type).

Not entirely sure why I listed it as normal, might have been an error while I was copy and pasting the images for types. I'll be sure to correct it in the next thread update! Thanks for pointing that out. Have fun on your SS run, I'll be sure to add it.

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
Years
Forum User Name: SetheKing
Game(s): SoulSilver
Pokémon Type: Flying

Have attempted and failed this in the past. Hope to actually finish it this time, so am aiming for something a little less lofty than the Ultimate Challenge.

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
Years
Forum User Name: Pebblycone
Game(s): Ruby Version
Pokémon Type: Bug

From doing my current Time Warp Jurassic Jam challenge, I've been interested in using some more bug Pokemon! And I've never used any bug types in Hoenn so I'm excited about the different Pokemon to be trying!

ZexceedKeil123

The Komaeda of Pokemon
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 24, 2020
Well hello there started up the game choose Torchic as my starter beat may and chaught a Shroomish in the forrest trained up and took down Roxanne. Went to Dewford and chaught a Makuhita and used the newly evolved Combusken to peck Brawley's pokemon and talked to Steven now I'm on the way to Slateport.

Team
Ryu(Combusken)lvl:18
Scratch
Ember
Peck
Double Kick

Luigi(Shroomish)lvl:17
Drain Punch
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Stun Spore

Majin Buu(Makuhita)lvl:12
Tackle
Fake Out
Arm Thrust
Focus Energy

Years
Wait, a new thread already? Oh wow, didn't expect that. Anyway, continuing my challenge from this post, let's get on with it!

X Psychic Monotype - Update #2

Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

ZexceedKeil123

The Komaeda of Pokemon
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 24, 2020
Reached Slateport and did the stuff with Stern then skipped the contest hall stuff beating May on my way to Mauville just barely beat Watson on my first try headed up to route 112 and chaught a Machop and then went to help Cosmo beat some more Magma peeps but they got the meteorite and then headed to Mt.Chimney beat a grunt and Machop evolved so I'm gonna wait till I can get a Machamp to progress anyone wanna help?

Ryu(Combusken)lvl30
Quick Attack
Peck
Flame Charge
Double Kick

Luigi(Breloom)lvl29
Drain Punch
Headbutt
Power Up Punch
Rock Smash

Majin Buu(Hariyama)lvl28
Strength