• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your character after yourself?

Years
Do you tend to name your player character after yourself? If not, what other names have you given them?

Extra: What was the name you gave to the last protagonist from the last Pokémon game you played? :D

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I always name my protag Pala. I used to be very "weeby" though when I'd name my character back in the day and just used whatever Japanese name I had on my brain at the time, and then later switched to naming my characters after my own. Around S/M or US/UM, though, I stopped doing that and just starting calling my trainer Pala at all times. I also do it in the older games I play now, too.

I named myself Pala in the last Pokemon games I played, too. I prefer to use my online username nickname over Kory, tbh, I guess Pala has sort of become my "in game name" nowadays. The only game I couldn't name myself Pala in in recent memory was Pokemon Unite, where I had to go with Palamon. I'm still angry about it

Also, you didn't ask, but I nowadays always name my rival Kir. Don't ask, please.

Last edited:
Years
I just go with my first name usually: vincent 😙
I do occasionally play as the female character randomly (did it in HG and AS)... in which case I just went with a random female name instead.

Years
I like to give my characters different names from time to time, I like to envision them all as separate characters. Some examples of names I've used include Paisley and Aurelia.

Empoleon671

不要
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
yeah. mostly because i like to immerse myself and pretend its me of course

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
No, I usually use different names for each protagonist. Haven't used my own name in a game for many years.

Years
I used to go with my online name Yuko (lol) from when I was a very weeby young teen, but nowadays it's my real name (Janna). Feels weird when it's anything else nowadays, though Nora after my OC is also awesome.

Last one I used was Janna in my Platinum run. :3

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I've been using random names now. Previously I used my name all the time, but I felt like it was starting to get dull.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i never use my real name ahahaha. i think i might have done that one time? and it was long ago. like maybe just the first time i played yellow ever. when i was a kid, i would pick whatever name i was really into at the time (some of my old OTs are nicola, rupert, seth, asa, ciana, blazi, gaylena). nowadays i just use al, alli, or allison lol or abel, that's another name i use often. i'm not as creative as i was as a kid aha. i do have a few outliers tho, like konani and andro.

Years
i use a variation of my real name: Angel. i don't really feel like using enough brainpower to think of a different name, so i've stuck with that for years lmao

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I use names from random OCs I made way back when. But I'm also not caring much for the player character in general. Pokemon games have kinda become more of story about the Pokemon party going on adventures. So, instead of the player being the protagonist it's basically just a sort of avatar of the party. Ironically, any sort of story bits the games throw at you, the ones that gate you from getting further into the game until you do them, just end up as a sort of immersion breaking event.

Names I usually go by in the games: Mia or Lara or Meg. Dunno what it is with me and three letter names, though. xD

Years
I used to, but now with Pokémon Home, I've been starting games with unique PC names so I can tell at a glance where I caught certain Pokémon. Before that I would go with my own name, or Ash.

Unfortunately, I share a name with a certain NPC so during that game I would sometimes get confused when they were brought up in dialogue

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Nah, it wouldn't fit with the female protagonist and I like to pick either male or female depending on whichever design I like more. I also couldn't use my actual name in Gen 1-5 games due to the character limit either.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I always start a new gen picking a male character and naming him after myself- either my real name or Went. Then, when I play the 'second' version, I choose a girl and name her Aldy, after a friend of mine. Been doing that since gen V.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
Nah, because I started playing the Japanese version of FireRed/LeafGreen so there was only like 5 spaces for names and mine didn't fit lol. So I just gave my character whatever name I could think of within the character limit and the habit stuck even after I got the EN versions with longer names possible.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Never.
I name my characters after my favorite fictional characters. The very first name I used was Ickis and right now I've been using Lucifer.

Although a few times I have used Matthew which was the name intended for me as my mom strongly believed I was a boy but now there is a character named Matthew in one of my favorite franchises so that name can be viewed either way.

Back