• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Okay, a little background info first. My game takes place in Kanto, and there's events that can progress and be achieved through the player completing the Pokedex, and when the player does complete it, (here's where the question comes in) I wanted to know if it was possible to send them to the Johto region, and "reset" their Pokemon progress ONLY IN THAT REGION. Like, you kinda get to start fresh in Johto, or are forced to, but you can also go back to kanto at any time, at which point, if you check your pc or whateevr, you still have every pokemon in the game.
Is this possible? As well as allowing them to obtain 8 more badges. I'm using a FR Rom, using the JPAN hack engine.

haelcher

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
RBY Hack Problems

I'm attempting to create a hack of Pokemon Yellow (yay Gen I hacks). It's mostly going to contain basic changes in the hex code, but there are a couple of scripts that I'm having trouble finding in the hex code:

1. I want to begin my journey heading South from Pallet Town. Therefore, I want to move the Prof. Oak script (the "Wait! Don't go out!" one) from the North exit to the South exit, and consequently have him walk North back to the Lab.

2. In a similar vein, I want to move the Old Man script (the "You shall not pass" one) to the South exit of Viridian. I feel closer to solving this one, as I can move the Old Man over-world sprite to the exit, but there's still that space in front of where he normally is that activates the script when I walk on it, even though the Old Man isn't there.

One final note, I have no ASM experience, so I would prefer if solutions could be limited to hex editing, where I am much more comfortable. If anyone has an idea on how to solve these or locate them in hex, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

MrSandman64

Pokemon Moon Creator
Years
SOMEONE HELP!!!
Is it possible to delete the NEW NAME option when naming your rival
In the intro? If so could someone tell me how?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2012
Multiple scripts. In scripts that mention the rival's name, the gender you chose at the beginning of the game is checked, then based on that result displays a text box that uses the rival name of the opposite gender.

Wally is always Wally, regardless of gender, obviously.

I've been looking in Advance Text, and i noticed there are actually a couple places where [RIVAL] tag is used. Where exactly is this defined?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I've been looking in Advance Text, and i noticed there are actually a couple places where [RIVAL] tag is used. Where exactly is this defined?

I think that ASM in the game actually moves different values into the [rival] buffer, even in Firered. For example, it's usually the rival's name (in Firered), but in battle, it might be the name of your Pokemon, or something else entirely. It seems to get switched around, at least in Firered. I'm not sure what the string does in Ruby or Emerald...it's possible they do nothing at all, and it's possible that they'll just buffer garbage text.

If you can, try making a simple script that just says "[rival]", and see what pops up.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
So, I'm inserting mini sprites for my game, for my own custom pokemon, and what I do is, say treeco, for example, I export treeco, open it in photoshop, and draw out my new mini sprite over it, but then when I go to reinsert it, the pallet changes slightly, it keeps my same colors I used for the sprite, but basically gets rid of the shading I did, so the mini sprite doesn't look as good as I could. How can I fix this?

redriders180

Years
So, I'm inserting mini sprites for my game, for my own custom pokemon, and what I do is, say treeco, for example, I export treeco, open it in photoshop, and draw out my new mini sprite over it, but then when I go to reinsert it, the pallet changes slightly, it keeps my same colors I used for the sprite, but basically gets rid of the shading I did, so the mini sprite doesn't look as good as I could. How can I fix this?

Did you add more colors to the icon, or did you use the pre-existing ones? If you used the pre-existing ones, and the editor is removing the shading, I assume it's because the program thinks they're the same color. The icons are meant to be rough sprites, anyway, and don't usually have subtle shading.

If you added more, then the solution is to use the colors from the original. The icons can only have one of three palettes, so you have to conform to one of them.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey, everyone.

Does anybody know how to rearrange the Hoenn Pokédex in Emerald?
The traditional Pokédex rearrangers such as Sebbe's and Team Snag'em's don't work - the Hoenn Pokedex refers to National Pokedex numbers as opposed to the in-game numbers of Pokemon (as in, 001 does not refer explicitly to Treecko, but whatever is at National Dex slot 252). So, does anyone know how to work around this? Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Does anyone know what program I'd use to edit the cries of Pokemon? I need one that can change the third gens.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Does anyone know what program I'd use to edit the cries of Pokemon? I need one that can change the third gens.

If you're not using Emerald, you can use Advance Cry (by Shiny Quagsire).

If you are using Emerald, you have to use Pokécry, since A-Cry doesn't work.

Years
Does anyone know how to temporarily make the player's sprite invisible for a certain amount of time in a script without any glitches occurring and without using level scripts in FireRed? A pretty obscure request, I know, but I need it for reasons.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2014
Is it possible to add new letters to the standard English alphabet on the nickname screen? I mean modifying the tiles to make characters like accented á, é and others available. I'm working on a translation project, and I'm not necessary a professinal when it comes to coding and "real" hacking, but it would feel a lot more comfortable to have our full alphabet included. I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask.

Is it possible via only tile edition, or would I have to do difficult coding? Because if the latter is the case, then I don't even bother trying it, unless there's a very detailed tutorial available.

redriders180

Years
Is it possible to add new letters to the standard English alphabet on the nickname screen? I mean modifying the tiles to make characters like accented á, é and others available. I'm working on a translation project, and I'm not necessary a professinal when it comes to coding and "real" hacking, but it would feel a lot more comfortable to have our full alphabet included. I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask.

Is it possible via only tile edition, or would I have to do difficult coding? Because if the latter is the case, then I don't even bother trying it, unless there's a very detailed tutorial available.

I made a little headway on this, but I was only able to research about half of it.

There's a data array which starts at 0x3E22D0, which looks like this:

Code:
D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 DA 00 AD DB DC DD DE DF E0 00 B8 E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 00 E8 E9 EA EB EC ED EE 00 BB BC BD BE BF C0 00 AD C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 00 B8 C7 C8 C9 CA CB CC CD 00 CE CF D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 00 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 00 00 00 A6 A7 A8 A9 AA 00
This seems like complete nonsense, but it actually dictates what letters are typed when you click a spot. Every zero in that array is a blank space on the keyboard, as read from left to right, and with this, most of the keyboard can be rearranged, although the letters stay in the same place (Basically, you can make it so pressing "A" would type in "E" if you changed BB to BF). Another thing...the first group of letters are actually the lowercase letters. The next group is the uppercase, and the final groups is the special characters.

Simply fill in each 00 with the hex value of the letter to be replaced. I changed the one of the 00s to a B9, yielding this:

Spoiler:

Of course, this isn't all that helpful if it can't display the letters you want, but its a start :\

Last edited:

The_Show

Banned
Years
Hi :) now, in RUBY I've been trying to change the "HOENN" you see when looking at a regular world map. I successfully edited the pokenav "HOENN" at unLZ number 1598, but I can't seem to find just the regular map "HOENN" anywhere in unLZ. Is there a certain number for that or do I have to edit it a certain way?

redriders180

Years
Hi :) now, in RUBY I've been trying to change the "HOENN" you see when looking at a regular world map. I successfully edited the pokenav "HOENN" at unLZ number 1598, but I can't seem to find just the regular map "HOENN" anywhere in unLZ. Is there a certain number for that or do I have to edit it a certain way?

You probably can't find it because it's just plain text :P. It's stored at 0x42C5B5, I believe.

Years
Warping poblem

Ok so this is like the 3rd this has happened. When I step on my warp it doesn't warp me. I have the Behavior Byte on 67 for a regular warp and I even tried with 61. My warp leads to another map (like every warp) but it won't warp me! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back