• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
I'd suggest just skipping her for now and going to S.S. Anne to train, since you can move on as soon as you have visited Bill. While there, remember to get the Body Slam TM for a future team member.

Thanks for the suggestion to go to SS Anne, because now that you remind me of body slam, I might save it for Magmar or use it on Slendy(Charmeleon) for obvious reasons in that they are powerhouses. :) Until tonight, good luck to everyone attempting this challenge, as always, and hopefully the training pays off. :)

Years
Hello, I would like to undertake the challenge, however right now I only have VBA to use, I will try a DS emulator, but with my current motherboard/lack of a DS I'm sure Ill have to wait for awhile finish the DS version. I may acquire a DS here soon though, so this may be solved.

Username: BrakeNeck
Type: Fire
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s):FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black

As I stated before I can easily do three of these, quickly using speed on an Emulator, but that is the only "assistance" I will use. Until I get a DS I will be undertaking this challenge and the Solo challenge so I will Post regular updates on here.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Just finished Emerald so here's the final update:

Ultimate Poison-Mono Challenge: Emerald

- Beat Wallace and the Elite Four and entered the Hall of Fame
EptjAy6.png
WIQ7y7S.png

- Final Team Results:
k6fKdUM.png

mIpsiui.png

J7oiLyF.png

RwZ7SD0.png

1niIvdq.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really surprised at how well Seviper did, I'll definitely be using one again.

One last thing, can anyone tell me if my images in my posts and my signature are displaying properly now? I think I fixed the problem so they should be working fine now, just let me know if they're showing up or not.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
First post updated through Post #1744
It's been ages since i beat Sinnoh in my ultimates of Bug and Water, but i've finaly gotten my hands on a 5th gen game i can freely play challenges on ^_^ I have proceeded to continue with Bug on White 2!
Always glad to see people rejoin the challenge! Welcome back! I believe you were here before I took over, so things may have changed a little, but I'm sure you get the jist of how it works.
Also, Necrum, I saw rule 10, so does that mean I can trade in Electabuzz in Yellow and Mareep in Crystal, as Electabuzz is only available in Red and Mareep in GSHGSS?
Yes, that is exactly what it means.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
Wow, the extra training was not only needed, it was overkill for Misty. Heehee, payback's a *****, like you Misty. I realised that I still had to do all the bill stuff, and I battled every trainer I could. That alone raised Slendy to Lvl.28, and then I started to head for the SS Anne with the ticket in hand. I'll skip to Vermillion City because Slender wrecked Route 6 and even leveled up to 30. Walking into the mart, I found out that all along, I could've bought super potions. With 10 super potions at my dispense, I figured that I could just rematch Misty. Battle two against Misty went too well, because her Staryu was easily killed, er, I mean KO'd by a well-placed Mega Punch. Starmie, the Pokemon I dreaded, took two Mega Punches to KO. The first turn, I was surprised because Misty was too dumb to want to attack me with its always critical Bubblebeam of doom, and instead used a X Defens, then I put Misty in her rightful place. 2 badges, 6 to go. Aboard the Anne, all I did was find whatever items I could without battling a lot of trainer. Of course, Slendy did get to battle some trainers, including Gary. Gary got his ass whooped a fourth time, and Igot myself HM01 Cut. I found out afterwards that, for whatever reason in gen 1, rattata actually couldn't learn Cut. So what I'M did was, I caught myself a bellsprout, and taught that cut. Now I was in business again. Slendy destroyed Lt. Surge's little *****es/servants, and I cracked Lt. Surge's stupid little code. The battle with Lt. Surge was a lot easier than Misty, and all of his wimpy Pokemon got their asses burnt by ember, and I outmatched Lt. Surge at his own game. 3 badges, 5 to go. How am I doing in my fire monotype? Current party is: Slendy the Charmeleon Lvl.34 with: Scratch, Mega Punch, Ember, and Slash. Any suggestions for movesets are always welcome, and to recap my final team, it is: Charizard, Ninetails, Flareon, Magmar, and Rapidash. Wow, I am ready to catch Vulpix and Eevee, but first I must get through the dark Rock Tunnel. Thanks to everyone who has followed me through my story, and as always, see you tomorrow with a new update.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Username: SubVirus
Type: Dark
Game(s): Liquid Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2
Current: Liquid Crystal. Just restarted :)
I let a random number generator pick for me and it landed on Dark ^^

Last edited:
Years
Update: All of this was done legitimately, except for using the speed function on VBA.
I picked Charmander as my starter and named him Swarley.
I then went through the normal course of events, by the time I fought my Rival(Named Water) for the first time Swarley was level 13.
During my journey through Viridian Forest Swarley evolved into a Charmeleon.
When I fought Brock Swarley was level 18, after I had defeated him he was level 19.
I taught Swarley Mega Punch from the move Tutor outside of Cerulean City.
I then progressed through Mt. Moon and began fighting for the Cascade Badge in Cerulean City with Swarley at level 26 but decided against it.
I then defeated my rival with Swarley at level 27.
I then arrived at Vermillion City with Swarley at level 33, after fighting trainers, picking up the Vs. Seeker, and getting onto the SS. Anne Swarley evolved into Charizard.
I then fought my rival and defeated him with Swarley at level 38.
I then got HM 01 from the Captain.
At this point I realized I forgot to fight Misty, I then went back and crushed her with Swarley at level 39.
As Swarley was level 39 at this point, and I have had no opportunity to catch any other pokemon I crushed Lt. Surge with ease.
I then went through Diglett Cave to Route 2 and got HM 05 Flash.
I then returned to Cerulean City and used my Bike Voucher to acquire a bike.
My HM Slaved Paras now knows Cut and Flash.
After Leaving the Rock Tunnel I caught a level 16 Growlithe(Female) and named her Aerith. At this point Swarley was level 45, so he will not be used unntil I hit horrific situations.
I then went to Celadon City and picked up the Eevee and named him Firos. I then evolved Firos into a Flareon. I then returned to Route 8 and began leveling my new team. I stopped for the night with Firos at level 28, and Aerith at level 26
I shall began my journey again tomorrow by getting Firos and Aerith to level 30, then grabbing a Dratini to later be my Dragonite HM Slave.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Username: SubVirus
Type: Dark
Game(s): Liquid Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2
Current: Liquid Crystal.
Update#1:
1 badge down... 15 to go!
So far so good... then again - the first gym is pretty easy anyways.
I picked Totodile as my starter:
Since there are no Dark types until basically the end of the game i decided to hack in a lvl 1 Murkrow
Now Murkrow is lvl 19 and my HM slave Totodile. I will not be using any other methods of cheating except the VBA turbo speed thing.... but really that doesn't alter the game it just saves me valuable time...

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
First post updated through Post #1744

Always glad to see people rejoin the challenge! Welcome back! I believe you were here before I took over, so things may have changed a little, but I'm sure you get the jist of how it works.

I was randomly around here right when the new thread was made (Page 4), where i started a challenge my brother ended up deleting. I've read the OP again and really like how you are dealing with this :)

Years
#2 Update for Monobug - Crystal

-picked
152.png

-done beginning stuff
-defeated rival
-caught a Male
10.png
on Route 30
-
10.png
evolved into
11.png
on Route 30
-
11.png
evolved into
12.png
on Route 30
-done Sprput Tower

109.gif
: difficulty 1/5
*easy with Confusion

-done Union Cave
-done Slowpoke's Well

110.gif
*Sleep Powder+Confusion no match

-defeated Rival
-got Headbutt
-caught a Female
214.png
on the tree on top of Slowpoke's Well
-caught a Female
123.png
in National Park

111.gif
: diffciulty 2/5
*Sleep Powder+Supersonic saved me from
241.png
's Rollout

-defeated Kimono Girls and got Surf
-defeated Rival at Burnt Tower

112.gif
: difficulty 2/5
*stupid faster
94.png
xD hard but Sleep Powder is a beast and did it easily

-done Lighthouse
-done Water Routes

113.gif
: difficulty 0/5
*Sleep Powder+Confusion

-defeated
130.png
at Lake of Rage
-defeated Team Rocket in its Hideout

114.gif
: difficulty 4/5
*I hate
208.png
but after Sleep Powder+Supersonic changed to
214.png
and Rock Smash'd it

115.gif
214.png
Rock Smash.. piece of cake

-defeated Rival
-defeted Team Rocket at Radio Tower
-done Ice Path

116.gif
*not hard at all...AI is stupid xD

-got the badge afterwards
-defeated Rival
-done Victory Road

Will: difficulty 3/5
*wow...this was hard... but Sleep Powder on
178.png
178.png
and changing to
214.png
worked well then
123.png
finished them with Fury Cutter

Koga: difficulty 2/5
12.png
Sleep Powder on everyone..then Psybeam a couple of times

Bruno: difficulty 1/5
*both
123.png
and
12.png
killed him with Psybeam and Wing Attack

Karen: difficulty 4/5
214.png
Earthquake critical hit on
229.png
*_* it resisted with 2HP to a Flamethrower the others were easy

138.gif
: difficulty 5/5
6.png
and
142.png
were a pain @.@ but with Rapid Claws'
123.png
manage to attack first with 3 Swords Dance(vs
130.png
) and Slash
Team After E4:
012.gif
LV44 MVP
Female | \\\\
Psybeam
Supersonic
Confusion
Sleep Powder
214f.gif
LV45
Female | Amulet Coin
Strength
Earthquake
Headbutt
Reversal
123f.gif
LV44
Female | Rapid Claws
Slash
Swords-Dance
Wing Attack
Fury Cutter

Lance Screenshot:
d7rCj.jpg

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
UMC Bug, Unova: Update 2

- I beat the 3rd gym no problem
- Colress took a while because his steel-types resisted literally every move i have
- I caught Blockhead
557.png
the lv. 19 Dwebble
- Trained against the bazilion people around Nimbasa. Stampede evolved again
544.png
->
545.png

- The 4th gym was a battle against Static and parahax
3.%20frown.gif

- I caught Charles
588.png
the lv. 23 Karrablast, who i immediately evolved to Escavalier
588.png
->
589.png

- The 5th gym was a battle against flinch-hax
4.%20cry.gif
I lost twice and then finally won convincingly when he not only didn't get a flinch on Rock Slide, but missed it altogether.
- I then realized i could have gone and caught a Joltik all along, so i did so and called it Webz
595.png

- I went to the move-tutor and got Bug Bite and Iron Head on Charles
589.png
, and Signal Beam on Webz
595.png

- Went to the move relearner to get Stampede Megahorn

Team:

Beleafe, the lv. 32 Leavanny First half MVP
542.png

Razor Leaf, Bug Bite, Slash, String Shot
"Still going strong as the team's main damage dealer"

Stampede, the lv. 31 Scolipede
545.png

Poison Tail, Bug Bite, Bulldoze, Megahorn
"Was stuck between not being as strong as Beleafe, and not as type-covering as Blockhead, but Megahorn might very well give him his niche"

Blockhead, the lv. 31 Dwebble
557.png

Rock Slide, Bulldoze, Bug Bite
"Rock and ground moves made him useful even before he caught up in levels. He is already a powerhouse, with even greater potential"

Charles, the lv. 30 Escavalier
589.png

Iron Head, Bug Bite, Headbutt, Bug Buzz
"The short while I've had him he has been showing off with his huge Attack stat"

Webz, the lv. 27 Joltik
595.png

Signal Beam, Electroweb, Volt Switch, Slash
"Literally caught him 5 minutes before i started writing this post"

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
kirax7, you're playing the Italian version too? I see that Lance said "It's over" in your last pic. :P

Electric Update #1 - Gialla, Cristallo, and Emerald
I'm just taking pics of team instead of each boss because it saves a lot of time.

Gialla (Yellow): 3 Badges
Cristallo (Crystal): 5 Badges
Emerald: 2 Badges

Gialla, I hacked in Electabuzz on Route 10 at level 20 (right before Rock Tunnel), then saved afterwards
Spoiler:

Cristallo, I traded a Mareep Egg(no egg moves) from my storage Crystal using VBA-link
Spoiler:

and finally, Emerald
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - Update 1
FireRed | Marko
50px-Boulder_Badge.png
50px-Cascade_Badge.png

Started my journey by picking Squirtle as my starter Pokemon. Surprisingly enough, she was female so after being stumped about what to name her eventually went with Peaches. The first part of the game was easy with only a little grinding before facing my rival, Polo, at the route beside Viridian. Everything else up to defeat Brock was easy. Peaches evolved into a Wartortle a bit before the battle even. After the battle I bought the Magikarp at the Pokemon Center and named him Percy. Then there was the long trek through Mount Moon with a Wartortle and a useless Magikarp before reaching Cerulean. The fossil I picked up was the Helix Fossil in which I do hope to turn into an Omanyte and might use on my team. My impatience was already showing through later when I went to defeat Misty with a level 18-19 Percy and Peaches, but hey. We won. Soon after while heading down to Vermillion City Percy evolved into a Gyarados so the S.S. Anne was easy (though I missed the Body Slam TM. Whoops oh well) and now after I catch an Oddish (HM Slave) work my way to defeating Lt. Surge. Hopefully the battle won't be too difficult.

Spr_3f_008.png

Peaches (Wartortle) ♀ | Lonely | Level 28
Mega Punch, Water Gun, Bite, Withdraw

Spr_3f_130.png

Percy (Gyarados) ♂ | Naughty | Level 26
Splash, Tackle, Bite, Dragon Rage

Last edited:
Years
@WarriorCat yes I'm playing the Italian version of every game xD not that I can't play the English one xD

#3 Update for Monobug - Crystal

-got Metal Coat
-evolved
123.png
into
212.png
as soon as I got to Vermillion City

104.gif
214.png
with Earthquake OHKO everyone

-done Rock Tunnel
-got the machine piece
-got the Radio expansion
-woke
143.png
up

102.gif
: diffciulty 0/5
212.png
2 Swords-Dance and Steel Wing OHKO everyone

-defeated Rival in Mt.Moon
-talked to Blue at Cinnabar Island

107.gif
214.png
Earthquake *_*

-done every possible Route left
-done Cycling Road

117.gif
12.png
Psychic OHKO everyone

103.gif
: diffciulty 0/5
212.png
2 Swords-Dance OHKO everyone

105.gif
212.png
Wing Attack OHKO everyone

137.gif
: difficulty 3/5
59.png
was a pain but
214.png
with Rapid Claws killed him the others were easy

106.gif
214.png
just learnt Megahorn xD

-defeated Rival at Indigo Plateau
-got the access to Mt.Silver
-defeated E4 and Lance a couple of times before go to Mt. Silver

212.png
vs
187.gif
: difficulty 5/5 xD
212.png
vs
25.png
3 Swords-Dance while healing and waiting for Thunder to miss 3-5
212.png
vs
3.png
Wing Attack 3-4
212.png
vs
6.png
.... Rapid Claws worked and Slash did a critical hit... 124 tries.... @.@ 3-3
212.png
vs
143.png
Slash 3-2
212.png
vs
9.png
Slash 3-1
212.png
vs
196.png
Rapid Claws whoo xD Steel wing 3-0

Final Team:
012.gif
LV56
Male | ////
Psybeam
Supersonic
Psychic
Sleep Powder

214f.gif
LV57
Female | Amulet Coin
Strength
Earthquake
Megahorn
Reversal

212f.gif
LV58 MVP
Female | Rapid Claws
Slash
Swords-Dance
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

Red Screenshot:

mDPdW.jpg

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Gialla, I hacked in Electabuzz on Route 10 at level 20 (right before Rock Tunnel), then saved afterwards
I'm sorry, hacking is not allowed. You are free to trade that Pokemon in since it is version exclusive to Red, but hacking is still not allowed, even for this circumstance. Please release the hacked Electabuzz.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I'm sorry, hacking is not allowed. You are free to trade that Pokemon in since it is version exclusive to Red, but hacking is still not allowed, even for this circumstance. Please release the hacked Electabuzz.

Okay, sorry, luckily I haven't used him yet, I'll release him when I can start the game again. :)

Can I trade one from my storage Crystal with Fire Punch and Ice Punch. It's level 15. I'm asking because the moves.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
This challenge just keeps getting better and better, Update #4 on the way. :) I left off when I defeated Lt. Surge, and I bought 10 repels for Rock Tunnel before heading out. I reached Route 5 and realised I didn't have a bicycle yet, so I had to backtrack to Vermillion City to get the bike voucher to trade in for a bicycle. Once I got that, the game didn't seem so slow anymore, and Slendy breezed through every trainer on the way to Rock Tunnel. In the process of battling, Slendy evolved into Charizard. Yay :). Now that I had a Charizard, Rock Tunnel was much easier, and although Slendy did run out of PP for ember towards the end, he had mega punch and slash to compensate for ember. After exiting Rock Tunnel, I avoided the trainer outside the cave and prepared to catch Vulpix and get Eevee. Apparently on Route 8, in order to get to the patch of grass that you must cut, you must battle either the gambler or the lass, so I chose to battle the lass. Of course, with Slendy, she was pretty easy, although sing was annoying. T_T Anway, it felt like forever before I finally found and caught a Vulpix with 1 great ball. Nicknamed it Pixxy, and avoided the rest of the trainers. Upon arrive in Celadon City, I immediatly went to pick up my Eevee and nicknamed it FlameNFame. This is where I am for now, and I must go grind Vulpix and Eevee on routes 8,10, and 11. How am I doing in my fire monotype? Current party is: Slendy the Charizard Lvl.40 with: Scratch, Mega Punch, Ember, and Slash; Pixxy the Vulpix Lvl.15(lol under-leveled by a lot) with: Ember and Tail Whip; and FlameNFame the Eevee with: Tackle and Sand-Attack O_o. Anyway, any moveset suggestions are always welcome, and as always good luck to everyone attempting this, and if you find any errors in my typing, it's most likely the tablet I'm using. :p See you later with an update. :)

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020

Okay, sorry, luckily I haven't used him yet, I'll release him when I can start the game again. :)

Can I trade one from my storage Crystal with Fire Punch and Ice Punch. It's level 15. I'm asking because the moves.

I was puzzled by this rule actually ~_~
I would imagine you should be able to get Electabuzz in the version you can't get him in at the point where you would be able to get it in the counterpart, at the level you would be able to get it in the counterpart. It wouldn't make sense that you can get it at the start in the game it does not appear in, and not in the one he does (Which would kinda defeat a point of the challenge if you could)

Aside from that, i don't see why a distinction between trading and hacking should be needed for challenges, they are equally much cheating if overdone.

Years
#4 Update for Monobug - Sapphire

-picked
252.png

-done beginning stuff
-caught the Hardy Female
265.png
on Route 101
-
265.png
evolved into
268.png
on Route 102
-done Wally Tutorial
-
268.png
evolved into
269.png
on Route 104
-caught the Hasty Female
290.png
on Route 116

118.gif
: difficulty 3/5
*6 x-defense on
269.png
and Confusion + a lot of healing

-defeated Team Idro
-delievered the letter

119.gif
: diffiuclty 0/5
269.png
had Confusion not hard at all

-defeated Team Idro at Museum
-grinding
290.png
...so slow :(
-defeated May
-defeated Wally
-
290.png
evolved into
291.png
and
292.png
on Route 117
-deposited
292.png

120.gif
*had to use
292.png
and avoid being hit by Supersonic so 6 Double Team and 6 x-attack + Fury Cutter and done in 248 tries ....

-NOT doing Cycling Road
-got Strength
-done Meteor Falls
-defeated Team Idro

121.gif
: diffciulty 2/5
291.png
... 6 Double Teams + 3 Swords-Dance + Dig...almost easy xD

-got
347.png
's Fossil
-revived the Lax Male
347.png

-grinding
347.png

-done Cycling Road
-done Trick House
-done Desert

122.gif
291.png
3 Swords-Dance and Slash OHKO

-done Water Routes
-done
357.png
Route
-defeated Team Idro
-defeated May
-got Devonscope

123.gif
227.png
was hell but with a lot of healing and 2 Swords-Dance I won xD

-done
352.png
Route and ghost Routes
-
347.png
evolved into
348.png
on Route 121

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

As long as you are at Goldenrod, which is where those TMs are found, I see no problem with it.

Also, thanks for understanding.
I was puzzled by this rule actually ~_~
I would imagine you should be able to get Electabuzz in the version you can't get him in at the point where you would be able to get it in the counterpart, at the level you would be able to get it in the counterpart. It wouldn't make sense that you can get it at the start in the game it does not appear in, and not in the one he does (Which would kinda defeat a point of the challenge if you could)

Aside from that, i don't see why a distinction between trading and hacking should be needed for challenges, they are equally much cheating if overdone.
I know my rule on the subject is a little unorthodox, but you have to keep in mind that before I took over, there was no trading or hacking AT ALL unless you met the no Pokemon before 3rd gym rule. The way I see it, if you're limited to one type, you should be free to use every Pokemon of that type within the dex. The reason that I want you to trade it specifically, is because it means you would be using one naturally generated, and one that definitely matches your team's level, since you can only trade it in if it doesn't exceed the level your team is at. You are using a Pokemon from that version exclusive. I simply wanted to add a way to make all Pokemon available without ruining the integrity of the challenge, which is an inherently strict challenge to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back