• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How important are perfect IVs to you?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
In reality I don't think missing out on those 31 extra points in a stat will do much. However the perfectionist in me screams when I don't get perfect IVs in all the important stats. In SM it doesn't make much a difference thanks to Hyper Training but that's more of a band-aid only usable in 1 generation. It isn't a permanent fix.

So I don't think it's really important for competitive battling but I still like aiming for it.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
In cartridge play I don't think it's necessary to get 6IV stats, but there's no reason to handicap yourself by not getting 31 IVs in the stats that matter to your Pokemon. And with recent generations introducing easier ways of getting 31 IVs on certain stats, I think it's well worth it to get those extra points--and with hyper training I think the only task you have to do IV-wise is getting the proper Hidden Power type.

In simulator play, it shouldn't matter since the simulator should arrange the IVs for you.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
It depends on where the missing IV is, because I usually throw Pokemon back out into breeding if they're not perfect. If you want to use a special attacker, and you miss the IV in attack, it's fine because it's not going to use that stat anyway, so it's just as good as having perfect IVs across the board. If it's on a one-time Pokemon, like a shiny or a legendary, and the missing IV is pretty high already, or to be specific, at least 26, then I just let it slide because it would take a lot of time to get another one like that. In all other circumstances, I resort to using bottle caps.

Years
Just recently, I've found myself getting into IV Breeding. Admittedly, being a perfectionist, I do expect 6IV Pokemon, but I won't really care if I get a 5IV and the only missing IV is in a stat that doesn't really matter.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I mean, for me I don't care about being 6IV, though because gen 7 breeding is busted 6IV isn't even that hard to get with some nice RNG checking shenanigans.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Speed IVs are most important. Moving first is much more useful than getting an extra 1% of damage. The rest of the IVs are not that important. However, I don't have the patience for competitive play on cartridge anyway. :P

Last edited:

VoltYellow

And then Everyone Dies™
Years
Speed IVs are most important. Moving first is much more useful than getting an extra 1% of damage. The rest of the IVs are not that important. However, I don't have the patience for competitive play on cartridge anyway. :P
I agree! Speed EVs are very important because they mon to move first. A perfect combination of speed and movepool can easily win you a lost battle.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Speed is the most important IV since one point below and you could find yoursef outsped and out of a Pokemon.

The others are OK if they're short by 1 or 2, 3-5 at a push.

Attk at 0 for Special Attackers is a nice bonus but not that important (for confusion and Foul Play purposes)

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
Now that it's significantly easier to get them, they're very important to me...Pre-Gen. VI, I was okay with not being absolutely perfect, but once the Destiny Knot buff happened, I don't like battling with imperfect stats...I've survived at 1HP and had others survive at 1HP incredibly frequently this gen...lol...

I don't bother with the 0's most of the time...If I happen to have a pokemon in the egg group with a 0 stat, I might...

Back