• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Entertaining Chit-Chat (sportsproof!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024

ENTERTAINMENT D C C

Hi. In this thread, feel free to talk about anything that comes to mind with your fellow entertainment fans. Spontaneous reactions or thoughts about movies or trailers or music, celebrity news, sports questions, "would you be a jedi or would you be a sith"... Anything that you don't feel like making a whole new thread for.

Or maybe whenever you come into the section and just want to hang out but aren't sure of whether you feel like discussing the latest album of the week or theorize about the next Doctor Who episode - just take a seat in here and get inspired (or triggered) by your fellow media maniacs.

This is also a great place to suggest new additions or changes or events to the E&M section itself! You can also of course VM/PM adventure if you have any ideas or complaints. Ok pls no complaints. Well, ok.

Just a few things to keep in mind when posting here:
1. Stay "on topic". Loosely meaning that this is for casual talk and thoughts on media and entertainment stuff, and if you want to chat about what a lovely burger you befriended the other day or talk about the weather, go to the weather section instead, uh I mean Off-Topic and the big all-catch DCC.

2. Move deep discussion to new threads. Also a bit loose rule, basically meaning that while it's totally fine to discuss here, it's equally fine for somebody else to jump in and change the topic or disturb your jargon! So if you sense that you have an interesting topic growing in this thread, it's a very good idea to make a separate thread here in E&M on it so you can discuss that in peace.

3. Homer Simpson is now the mascot. Mr CatDog is the cause of this, and if you want to dispute it, please do. Go, go!

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yep. Here's your new mascot; he even has a uniform!

latest

pkmin3033

Homer is clearly a role model for us all...and very relatable as a character.

tenor.gif

...kinda tempted to dispute, but the only character in my mind right now is Jerome Valeska for some reason, and he's definitely not mascot material. xD

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
i wonder if i'll ever be around long enough to experience a show that had the sheer cultural saturation and impact that early simpsons had
i wasn't even alive during the bartman era!!

pkmin3033

I actually wonder if we have anything like that now but just aren't aware of it yet...I mean, lots of things are popular and have that impact, but we don't really know how long that is going to last for until we have years of hindsight to examine it. Chances are we'll experience it but won't know about it until much later in life when perspectives have changed.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
With the persistent fragmentation of media over the past few years, I think it's going to be a looooooong time before all of these new services end up cannibalising each other and we return to the monoculture where that can happen.

I do remember my parents getting a Bartman CD that they played in the car when I was young. Do the Bartman!

pkmin3033

The first season aired in 1989, although I think there were some animated shorts a couple of years before that?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I wonder if anybody actually keeps track of all the plots and themes they've used so far and makes sure they don't re-use things.

pkmin3033

I'm pretty sure Comic Book Guy lampshaded that in an episode when they recycled a plot device...I forget what it was, though. I just remember him calling them out on it and them doing it anyway. xD;

I've not actually seen a lot of the newer episodes, because I don't have Sky and I'm not motivated to watch them online, haha. I wish they'd do more songs, though.

Bay

Years
I'm pretty sure Comic Book Guy lampshaded that in an episode when they recycled a plot device...I forget what it was, though. I just remember him calling them out on it and them doing it anyway. xD;

I think it's the episodes several seasons ago where Bart wants a horse but Comic Book Guy mentioned a similar situation where Lisa got herself a horse and Homer taking a second job to pay the expenses. Bart's horse ends up in horse racing lol.

I only have the newer episodes as background noise, but I know sites like The Simpsons Archive does keep track which certain plot devices have been reused, lol.

pkmin3033

I think it's the episodes several seasons ago where Bart wants a horse but Comic Book Guy mentioned a similar situation where Lisa got herself a horse and Homer taking a second job to pay the expenses. Bart's horse ends up in horse racing lol.
Oh! Doesn't Homer discover the land of the jockeys in that one when Bart's horse does too well? xD

There have been so many episodes at this point I can't remember a lot of them...especially the later ones. The earlier ones seem to stick out in my mind more, whether because the material was better or because I've seen them about fifty million times, I'm not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back