• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Inspired you to draw?

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
What inspired you to draw? Do you look to someone? Is it just really fun? Bonus, what is your favorite artist?

For me, I just did it because online people were creating wonderful arts and I felt left out so I began to draw (this happened when I was on pokecharms, maybe beginning on here too) I just look up to everyone here who creates art really. Everyone who puts it out there for people see are wonderful artists, I enjoy looking at art from an online community (because im lazy to go an art museum, spelled wrong) Not to be cheesy or a suck up, but my favorite artists would be everyone here, who keeps Art Studio alive, and still has the joy to create art.

Years
Honestly what inspired me to start drawing seriously was watching Kitty. It's always so cool seeing how her artwork takes shape and how she makes it look easy to create what is objectively really hard to do. Following that though, there's just something really satisfying about creating something with your own hands and seeing yourself improve over time.

Years
Vandalism.

As a very small child, I was scribbling in expensive books with texters. It snowballed from there. Nowadays I can scarcely lift my boxes of drawings without pulling a muscle of some sort. They're all genuinely hideous but the level of commitment is worth a bit.

There was no inspiration or impetus that I can recall. It's just something I've stuck at.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Both my senpai and MGG inspire me to draw. MGG has a very unique view of drawing, and I adore his style so much!

Spoiler:

This is something everyone should know as an artist!

Years
I don't think I can attribute it to any one artist, but rather the desire to be able to see in front of me what I have in my mind.

Oh, and dragons. I used to be way into dragons (still am a bit) and thus fantasy art of dragons. Come to think of it, the year I decided to try taking drawing a little more seriously, I did draw a lot of dragons...guess what was out there wasn't enough for me and I wanted to make my own dragon art to add to it, hah.

Years
neopets! i loved the pets there and wanted to create a character and personality for my pets. there were also some very talented artists (saiyukii comes to mind) that really made me want to draw and become even a little bit as good as them. <3

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Cute things always flood my mind with drawing concepts! My inspiration folder is loaded with adorable things. ٩(◕‿◕。)۶

SoundWaveGuy

I AM DECEPTICON
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 17, 2020
I draw whenever i want to. Inspirations are everywhere, especially what catches your eye.

also, Im a fan of Artgerm and Kim jung gi :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It all started when gen 1 of Pokemon came to the west. Back then I spend quite some time trying to draw a bunch of the cooler looking Pokemon. However, it really started when I got into Dragon Ball and I got a book by Akira Toryama which was teaching how to draw manga.

In general manga and JRPGs had a hugh impact back then. DBZ, One Piece, Golden Sun and Seiken Densetsu 3 are probably the biggest influences back then.

Interestingly enough, at some point I simply stopped and only ten years later (coincidentally the current year) I decided to get back into the swing. My main inspirations as of currently are 90s animes and I'm also quite fascinated by the art made by Cotton Valent.

Guest123_x1

I'm not sure what first inspired me to do any drawing - though I have been doing so since at least my latter years of elementary school. I started doing character art around 2005-06, but only very rarely until maybe a couple of years ago (particularly after I became good friends with someone on DeviantArt who regularly posts character art, and OCs, said friendship inspired me to create an OC of my own - and I wasn't really interested in OC art until I came across his gallery and found how cute his characters were/are.)

Years
My inspiration is aesthetics; loooove me some aesthetics and my ultimate goal is to make good aesthetic pieces that just makes you say mmMMmMMmm (or something like that)

What inspired me to draw the first time was the chance to make a friend :^) though that didn't work out

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
My inspiration is aesthetics; loooove me some aesthetics and my ultimate goal is to make good aesthetic pieces that just makes you say mmMMmMMmm (or something like that)
May I ask: what type of aesthetics? Humans, animals, scenery, still lives, something else? Do you have any direction in particular that you want to make aesthetically pleasing?

Years
May I ask: what type of aesthetics? Humans, animals, scenery, still lives, something else? Do you have any direction in particular that you want to make aesthetically pleasing?

Scenery and humans mostly !! I usually like it more when paired with the use of colors that go well together so I guess my absolute main aesthetic (and direction I want to go to eventually) is color harmony and how they work so well together to create a lovely aesthetic piece of the two mentioned earlier ☺️

Rn what I'm currently doing on practicing this is making composition sketches. Thumbnail wise or anything. My art style is way too out of hand to actually make a proper piece fml

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
My sister! She has always been great at art and I thought she was cool when I was younger so I wanted to emulate what she did. Turns out drawing was super fun so I stuck with it. Whilst I can't say my drawings have dramatically improved, it's a nice hobby to have and I enjoy it a lot. One day I'll learn how to draw people properly but for now I've been super content with drawing fictional creatures, copying off references etc. which mostly links to what my sister used to do. We also had these drawing books (one of them even was about tracing Pokemon) and there was also this book which taught kids how to doodle. I think as a result I began to doodle a lot and create my own creatures / characters when I had a few spare seconds in class, and its a habit that stuck. :')

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I used to be a really big fan of lots of webcomics back in the day and wanted to be able to draw fanart for them! Recently though I've been really inspired by a good friend of mine (Penpeaches on tumblr, dA, and instagram) to practice my art more seriously. Them along with several other artists that I am in a discord with have served as my biggest inspirations recently.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm actually going to add to my original answer. While I do look towards things for inspiration, art is and has always been a coping mechanism for me. I draw when I'm overwhelmed or just generally feeling too much. I draw to communicate non-verbally.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2021
Not sure exactly what it is that inspired me in the beginning, but now what keeps me going is seeing all the beautiful art, designs, characters, and just gorgeous creations that make me want to keep creating all the time. Art just looks beautiful, it's so addicting that I don't think I'll ever be able to stop.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
i was mimicing pokemon cards when i was a kid and when i draw this espeon card it came out really well (like it looked a lot like the original but well... bigger lol) and i wanted to draw more and get better from that moment.

though unfortunately i don't really draw as often as i should. i'm sure i'd be a lot better if i stayed consistent with it. still i pick it up every now and then whenever i have time/feel like it

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 6, 2019
I think the fact that I get a hand in creation and design is what inspires me to draw! As for who I look up to, I would say the big professional artists that are popular on instagram. There's always something to be learned from them and the majority are so kind and patient if you ask them for tips and tricks. I think it's frustrating while simultaneously being a lot of fun!

Back