• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creatures of the Skies - The Flying Type Fan Club

Sirfetch’d

Welcome to the club, Nubface McWeatherball! Cool picks for your Pokemon! Crobat has seemed to be more popular than I actually thought it was, but I'm not too surprised honestly. Always liked it, just seemed like most others didn't D: Butterfree is an interesting choice though. The Bug types are usually disregarded because of quickly they fall off, though Butterfree is probably one of the more popular ones. Still, I'd like to hear why you picked it :D

Mainly for the reasons I told Sophie! It's a mix of nostalgia, usefulness, and appeal. If Pokemon were real I could see myself having a Butterfree as a partner to help me on my journey. It's just such a well designed and cool Pokemon overall. Every generation nearly we get some generic Bug/Flying mon that is always good but not to the standards of Butterfree haha. Always going to be special to me. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't get some cool moves like other Bug/Flying types such as Air Slash and Hurricane but that is no biggie really.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I see where you're coming from with the removal of the Normal typing, though personally I'm kinda happy they started to diversify the starter birds as well. With how much people have been complaining about originality in design, they probably thought that it would be better to change up the starter birds a bit, rather than adding another standard bird to the mix, and I was in love with the Fletchling line when I first saw it, so can't quite say I agree :D

I have no problem with the bird being the fire type, I think it's weird that the Pokémon gets the fire type. Fletchling looks fire in the same amount as his evolutions. I really like the family, as I said, just the typing seems weird to me.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Hi guys! So I think Alex's forgotten like the loser he is or is still working on it but I decided to go ahead and write up part 2 of Squirrel: My Psychopathic Neighbour. If he'd like to upload his version of events or add to the story than I'm cool with that but for now enjoy! For those who want part 1, just scroll a bit down the first page and you'll find my huge post with a spoiler in it. Anyway expect Part 3 to be up later this week, possibly tomorrow!

Spoiler:

Stop it you :(

tumblr_mmshxuVUOb1rsc51fo1_500.gif

Still one of the saddest scenes in the Pokemon anime. From what I heard, it apparently died in the Japanese version of the anime, so that just adds to make it even sadder, though still, the goodbye scene left a mark :( Gotta say, James losing his Cacnea is probably the saddest one for me, but that's unrelated!

... that's morbid. I thought pokemon was kid friendly though Japan tends to release more mature content compared to the English releases. I believe stuff like the Green version of Lavender Town music, certain banned episodes of the anime and so on are examples of this. Though we've already had death shown in the games with Pokemon Tower, I'm glad they didn't make Butterfree die in the english version. That would of ruined my 3 year old self right there if they had. :(

Mainly for the reasons I told Sophie! It's a mix of nostalgia, usefulness, and appeal. If Pokemon were real I could see myself having a Butterfree as a partner to help me on my journey. It's just such a well designed and cool Pokemon overall. Every generation nearly we get some generic Bug/Flying mon that is always good but not to the standards of Butterfree haha. Always going to be special to me. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't get some cool moves like other Bug/Flying types such as Air Slash and Hurricane but that is no biggie really.

Ayy. I've gotta ask - what do you think of Vivillion in comparison to Butterfree? They're both butterfly pokemon and Vivillon has access to different patterns alongside being very similar to Butterfree. I'm guessing you still like the latter better due to nostalgia but I'm curious on what you think about it. :D

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

Yeah sorry, didn't see your post since you posted after I'd started making mine D:

I see! personally, I've rarely ever used Butterfree, and I've always gotten rid of it at some point in the game because it simply became too weak. But it's one of my favourite Bug Pokemon, simply due to the nostalgia factor. I was never really one to pick up the Bug type Pokemon, and the ones I have tried, I just haven't liked as much as Butterfree. I do agree with you though, that Butterfree's movepool is kinda eh. I don't know how much has been added in the newer generation, but it was always more focused around getting some kind of status effect onto the opponent, which of course does work well with its ability, but it's just never fit my playstyle. But good to know you really like it at least :D

I have no problem with the bird being the fire type, I think it's weird that the Pokémon gets the fire type. Fletchling looks fire in the same amount as his evolutions. I really like the family, as I said, just the typing seems weird to me.
That's the case with quite a few other Pokemon though :o They start off only being one typing, then gain the new typing upon evolution. The Normal -> Fire is kinda odd though I do agree, but I think it's more just to highlight the fact that it is indeed a starter bird.

Hi guys! So I think Alex's forgotten like the loser he is or is still working on it

Knowing him, he probably hasn't forgotten about it, but just hasn't been bothered to do it :D

but I decided to go ahead and write up part 2 of Squirrel: My Psychopathic Neighbour.
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Spoiler:
A very good part 2. I was very surprised with the plot twist though. I was certain he was actually the Doctor, so it really took me by surprise. I feel like it lacked a bit of action though, but hopefully we'll see that in the next chapter. Looking forward to it!

... that's morbid. I thought pokemon was kid friendly though Japan tends to release more mature content compared to the English releases. I believe stuff like the Green version of Lavender Town music, certain banned episodes of the anime and so on are examples of this. Though we've already had death shown in the games with Pokemon Tower, I'm glad they didn't make Butterfree die in the english version. That would of ruined my 3 year old self right there if they had. :(
Well there's been quite a few cases of censoring, though that was mainly in the first season. It seems like the Japanese learned that some of the stuff they added wasn't gonna make it through localization, so they calmed down with the more 'mature' stuff. The Lavender Town music was just something in the first versions of the first generation games though. It was apparently a high note or something that caused small headaches and nausea for children I believe, and it was changed in later versions. But of course someone had to go and make up the suicide rumours about it, though that's off-topic D: I miss the creepy pasta club :(

The poll for the next move is now up! Go vote!

Sirfetch’d

Ayy. I've gotta ask - what do you think of Vivillion in comparison to Butterfree? They're both butterfly pokemon and Vivillon has access to different patterns alongside being very similar to Butterfree. I'm guessing you still like the latter better due to nostalgia but I'm curious on what you think about it. :D

I absolutely love Vivillon! It's probably my favorite of them generic bugs to use haha. I love to destroy people with Quiver Dance/Sleep Powder/Hurricane/Bug Buzz B) Plus it's dozens of adorable designs always keeps things fresh when using it!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
So I managed to get part 3 done straight after part 2! Guess this is what I do in my holidays when I have no spare time. Anyway Part 4 will be the finale of this story and then I guess I'll see if I can get a new one going.

Spoiler:

I see! personally, I've rarely ever used Butterfree, and I've always gotten rid of it at some point in the game because it simply became too weak.

Haven't tested this myself but apparently Butterfree was actually really strong in Gen 1! It became less powerful as the generations went on though I don't think its that bad for an early bug type pokemon.

The Normal -> Fire is kinda odd though I do agree, but I think it's more just to highlight the fact that it is indeed a starter bird.

I feel like the fire/flying typing made it completely different from the rest of the starter birds at the end though. I think all the other ones ended as normal/flying? So maybe Fletchling should of been an alternate flying type in the early game like Zubat and they bring in a normal bird. It's a cool starter bird though, definitely.

A very good part 2. I was very surprised with the plot twist though. I was certain he was actually the Doctor, so it really took me by surprise. I feel like it lacked a bit of action though, but hopefully we'll see that in the next chapter. Looking forward to it!

Yeah it was kinda a filler chapter so I could set up a bit more of the plot. Glad you liked it though! And I thought that'd be too obvious to make Alex the doctor so I went for a character that I still knew well enough to write about. Let me know what you think of part 3! :)

I absolutely love Vivillon! It's probably my favorite of them generic bugs to use haha. I love to destroy people with Quiver Dance/Sleep Powder/Hurricane/Bug Buzz B) Plus it's dozens of adorable designs always keeps things fresh when using it!

Didn't realise Vivillon could Hurricane and Bug Buzz foes! The patterns are easily what sets it apart from all the other early bug/flying though and I really enjoyed collecting all of them. Do you have a favourite pattern? I think the one we use down here is kinda ugly and would much rather have Ocean Vivillion or one of the tropical-looking patterns. :(

Sirfetch’d

I do have a favorite pattern! I like the snowy white one, I can't remember exactly what it's called but I LOVE IT HAHA. Also a huge fan of Tundra! Though I don't dislike any of the patterns [:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I do have a favorite pattern! I like the snowy white one, I can't remember exactly what it's called but I LOVE IT HAHA. Also a huge fan of Tundra! Though I don't dislike any of the patterns [:

There's two snow ones, Polar:

666012.png

and Icy Snow:

Vivillon-Icy-Snow.png

Although reading back, I'm assuming it's Icy Snow since you said white :P But the Polar one is actually my favorite and I'd actually like to get my hands on one if possible since it's so cool looking.

Sirfetch’d

666012.png

and Icy Snow:

Vivillon-Icy-Snow.png

Although reading back, I'm assuming it's Icy Snow since you said white :P But the Polar one is actually my favorite and I'd actually like to get my hands on one if possible since it's so cool looking.

Yeah haha I was referring to Icy Snow. Both of these are great and definitely top 3 but Icy Snow just stands out to me above the rest. It's just...perfect imo.

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): Articuno and Yveltal.
Reason for liking Flying-types: Ah, the Flying-Type. One of only two types in the Pokemon World to be paired with every other type there is. You have always been there for me, ever since I caught my first Pidgey years and years ago, fighting by my side, all the way through the Elite Four in every region there ever was, and ever will be. You're a part of me, and I will never forget you, for as long as I shall live.

Flying-Types are among the most abundant type in the Pokemon World. Having been paired up with every other known type, they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. I can safely say there is not a single Flying-Type Pokemon I dislike, though there are a few I'm not a huge fan of. I have a tradition of playing through each new region at least one time with the Flying type they throw at you in the early routes in my party, but a few of them such as Noctowl and Pidgeot I always use for nostalgia. The flying-type has easily always been my favorite type, though these days Bug and Dark-types are not far behind. They're the reason I've always despised Stealth Rock. How am I supposed to battle with my favorite Pokemon, when they lose 25% of their health just because I sent it into battle!? It's just not fair, and it's an insult to Flying-types everywhere. Not to mention that several of them lose 50% HP to Stealth Rock... It brings a tear to my eye, it really does. But I'll never give up on them! Flying-Types for life!

My Favorite Flying-Type? I'm tempted to say Yveltal because it's also a Dark-type, and it's basically the harbinger of death in the Pokemon world. I mean, it feeds on the life force of everything in order to keep itself alive. That's just dark, even for the Pokemon World. Not to mention it's design is pretty epic, too. However, there is one Flying-Type in particular that will always have a special place in my heart... Articuno. Back in the days of Red and Blue, my sister and I battled all the time. The star of my team was Articuno, and it almost always came down to a showdown between Articuno and the star of her team, Gyarados, which was her favorite Pokemon as well. Articuno rarely let me down, making sure to freeze Gyarados in nearly all out battles, sealing my victory. Articuno was definitely my favorite Pokemon for many years because of this, and I still hold it pretty high on my list.

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
Years
HuH?
What happened to the last Flying-type club?
Meh. Doesn't hurt to join! (since i love flying-types)

Name: Dots
My two partner Pokémon: Pidgey and Spearow!
Reason for liking Flying-types: I don't like Flying-types...! I LOVE them because they're special! It will be hard to go to the area where you want to go back without Fly~!:pink_giggle: But I don't love them just because they can Fly, it's because I have a Torchic! (real, alive, white chicken! (and is really loud during the night and the day)) (i used to have an orange colored chick but he died early because of one apparent reason...);-;

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I want to throw in a new topic: What is your favorite flying type move and why?

Also still waiting for the finale of Aslan's story. :)

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Air Slash probably my favorite. It has decent power, and a 30% chance to cause flinching, which is great because Flying-Types are generally fast. Really the only downside to it is it's 95% accuracy, which isn't bad, but 100% would be nice.

After Air Slash, I'd have to say Oblivion Wing. It's the signature move of Yveltal, and is the only damaging Flying-Type move that restores HP.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
What is your favorite flying type move and why?

Drill Peck. It's a great reliable move and one that I wish more Flying-types could learn. I also wish there was a move that was close in power for Flying-types like Crobat to take advantage of.

Years

Brave Bird. Check out that animation in Generation VI. GREATEST MOVE ANIMATION OF ALL TIME. And I doubt it's just me who thinks that ;)

...Okay, I know that sounds kind of biased BUT STILL IT'S FUCKING AWESOME

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years

Brave Bird is good since i saw Staraptor use it ive loved it since it being one of the most powerful flying type moves and it being pretty good for physically based flying types.

But my altime favorite to use is Air slash with that wonderful flinch rate and its great on togekiss! Since theres not too many SpAtk moves that are high in power (besides hurricane but its not reliable enough) its definately one of the most useful moves i use!

Back