• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Russia's Anti-GayCrackdown

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.

Poki

Banned
Years
Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.

A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!

People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!

People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.

The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:

• Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
  • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
  • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
  • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
  • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
  • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07/us-cult-leader-sentenced-for-killing-of-woman-and-gay-4-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.

Poki

Banned
Years
The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:

• Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
  • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
  • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
  • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
  • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
  • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07/us-cult-leader-sentenced-for-killing-of-woman-and-gay-4-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.
Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it. And no, I was not talking about Pride parades. I have a problem with LGBT supportes who lose their **** whenever someone else disagrees with them, and decide that having a whole pointless debate over it will show him/her who's the boss. How dare he/she disagrees with my point of view!

And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.

You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.

I'm done with this crap. I believe I have repeated myself enough. Good luck on your way to success.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it.

But who gets to decide what representation is bad? You? Me? Who? What's "bad" can be, and often is, subjective. Your version of what constitutes bad may be completely different from someone else's. The point is, just because you think something is bad, does not necessarily make it so. What you might think bad, others may encourage. It all depends on a point of view. None of them are right, but also none of them are wrong either.

And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.

it's not the "accomplishment" of having a sexual orientation that is celebrated, as I said. One can't "accomplish" having one. One is born with it. I can no more consciously change my sexual orientation any more than you can consciously alter the growth rate of your fingernails. What is being celebrated is the courage it takes to come out. Coming out is one of the most terrifying (and sometimes rewarding) moments in our lives. Some of us don't survive it. Thankfully, increasingly more of us do.

You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.

No, you're right, we can't make anyone like us. And we don't even try. But we can work to make it socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice against the LGBT community (That change, I'm glad, is already happening) just as it is socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice someone who is black.

Good luck on your way to success.

Good luck with yours and best wishes.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
Years

It's not treated like an "accomplishment", saying you're proud to be gay/bi/trans/etc is a defiance of the social norms that have tried to stomp the community out for years. It's no big deal to say you're part of the norm, but certainly one to identify yourself as one of the targeted minority.

Back