Started by karatekid552 January 4th, 2014 12:58 PM
  • 1250 replies

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....

Male
Do you really want to know? Really?
Seen January 12th, 2015
Posted December 14th, 2014
I appologise if this is a noobish question, but I haven't found anything on it.
Will starting the game and creating a save file adversely effect the game when it comes to editing? I know the game and save files are separate, but I just want to make sure. (going through Oak's intro at the beginning just so I can check some warps is getting really annoying)
It depends on what you change. If you prevent the game from setting certain flags, those won't get saved, and you will have issue.

Just to test warps, that won't be an issue. Events and other things, that could cause problems.

Paired with Simba

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull

Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 30th, 2017
277 posts
6.2 Years
Well, it might be some tile error or somekind. But the best thing you can do is, create another map! Goto A-Map and create a duplicate of the map(what i mean is make it look like the other one). Then goto SMCA and point out your newly made map. :)

What are you using to insert them? Sappy or what?

You can do hex editing or something like that to do that bud :)

I use sappy to insert songs.
Male
Seen June 28th, 2014
Posted April 20th, 2014
16 posts
5.9 Years
I appologise if this is a noobish question, but I haven't found anything on it.
Will starting the game and creating a save file adversely effect the game when it comes to editing? I know the game and save files are separate, but I just want to make sure. (going through Oak's intro at the beginning just so I can check some warps is getting really annoying)
As a precaution, don't save (and especially don't save state) while in the map you're working on. Changing the map while you're saved in it can cause all the events (even warps) to stop working, so always save at least one map away. If you do mess up accidentally, changing everything back to EXACTLY how it was will make the map work again. Trust me, I've almost skunked a few saves just by moving an event a few spaces away.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull

Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 30th, 2017
277 posts
6.2 Years
For some reason, it can only be speed up on sappy but in-game, it's normal.
Are you sure? Because sappy features that.
Actually, I think it played perfectly normal in sappy. The songs I experimented with turned out faster ingame though.
If its important somehow, I was putting these songs in place of the original title screen music to test them ingame. I didn't open the .s files or edit them at all, and I made sure these were midi format0 converted into .s files. They were looped too. ^^

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence

Male
Australia
Seen September 6th, 2018
Posted March 14th, 2015
19 posts
5.8 Years
Well, it might be some tile error or somekind. But the best thing you can do is, create another map! Goto A-Map and create a duplicate of the map(what i mean is make it look like the other one). Then goto SMCA and point out your newly made map. :)

Creating a new map didn't help at all, it will just create the error again :(

destinedjagold

Oh Hai Thar~

Age 28
Male
Philippines
Seen September 8th, 2019
Posted May 6th, 2019
8,596 posts
12.4 Years
Creating a new map didn't help at all, it will just create the error again :(
Try [my] solution.
Expand the map, and map at the center of it, since the PLAYER will spawn in the very middle of the map (that is, if you haven't changed where the player's X and Y spawn spot).
That's what I did with Rescue Rangers and Life of Guardians. xD

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence

Male
Australia
Seen September 6th, 2018
Posted March 14th, 2015
19 posts
5.8 Years
Try [my] solution.
Expand the map, and map at the center of it, since the PLAYER will spawn in the very middle of the map (that is, if you haven't changed where the player's X and Y spawn spot).
That's what I did with Rescue Rangers and Life of Guardians. xD
Thanks for this information, I could only find information on how to change your x/y position in Emerald not ruby (different offsets), but with your information this should help A LOT.

EDIT: IT WORKED! Thanks so much!
Male
France
Seen June 4th, 2014
Posted April 15th, 2014
22 posts
6.2 Years
(Sorry for my old message)
Hi, I've a problem ; I have added more or less new Pokémon but I have a problem with their name and sprite : they have the sprite and the name of "???????". By cons, their evolution and their stats work perfectly.
I do not have added to the Pokédex.
Do you think that a report ?

Thank you in advance;)!

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence

Male
Australia
Seen September 6th, 2018
Posted March 14th, 2015
19 posts
5.8 Years
(Sorry for my old message)
Hi, I've a problem ; I have added more or less new Pokémon but I have a problem with their name and sprite : they have the sprite and the name of "???????". By cons, their evolution and their stats work perfectly.
I do not have added to the Pokédex.
Do you think that a report ?

Thank you in advance;)!
If the pokemon's you have added do not have a name, you need to open YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor), find the pokemon you added and in the bottom left you can change their name. To change or add a new sprite for the pokemon, you can either make your own or find some indexed sprites online, we have some in the "resources thread". I use Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, which can be found by simply googline "Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor". Hope this helps!
Female
Seen August 25th, 2017
Posted February 10th, 2016
25 posts
7.9 Years
I have a prob with the fadescreen command.

When the weather is dark / rainy and i use a fadescreen command like this.

fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0xX
setflag 0xX
fadescreen 0x0

the area gets darker. If i do it with fadescreen 0x2 the area gets lighter. Even if i use special 0x8E the palettes are not reloading and because i use a lot of these commands within one script i comes to the point, where the entiry map is black.

Has anybody fixed it yet?
Any ideas, why it could be like this?

PS:
Excuse my bad english, i am a german hacker
Male
France
Seen June 4th, 2014
Posted April 15th, 2014
22 posts
6.2 Years
If the pokemon's you have added do not have a name, you need to open YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor), find the pokemon you added and in the bottom left you can change their name. To change or add a new sprite for the pokemon, you can either make your own or find some indexed sprites online, we have some in the "resources thread". I use Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, which can be found by simply googline "Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor". Hope this helps!
Thank you for your help, but I've done that but it does not work ;(.
The name and sprite no change.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero

Age 24
Male
'MERICA
Seen January 18th, 2019
Posted June 19th, 2018
777 posts
10.7 Years
Thank you for your help, but I've done that but it does not work ;(.
The name and sprite no change.
This may sound stupid, but did you press "save" when you finished? Additionally, it might be a bad rom that you're working with. Have you tried the same process on a clean fire red rom?
Being a hero is overrated anyways
Male
France
Seen June 4th, 2014
Posted April 15th, 2014
22 posts
6.2 Years
This may sound stupid, but did you press "save" when you finished? Additionally, it might be a bad rom that you're working with. Have you tried the same process on a clean fire red rom?
Yes, of course ^ ^.
But in fact, I think I misspoke; I created new Pokémon, I have not changed.
And I just saw that when giving him a nickname, there is well marked "Turtwig's nickname" and not "????????? nickname" (yes, I tried to create Turtwig)

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero

Age 24
Male
'MERICA
Seen January 18th, 2019
Posted June 19th, 2018
777 posts
10.7 Years
Yes, of course ^ ^.
But in fact, I think I misspoke; I created new Pokémon, I have not changed.
And I just saw that when giving him a nickname, there is well marked "Turtwig's nickname" and not "????????? nickname" (yes, I tried to create Turtwig)
Did you replace one of the ???????? Pokemon to create your Turtwig? As good as it seems, you're better off replacing one of the other Pokemon instead of the ??????? which are reserved for the Unknown letter slots.
Being a hero is overrated anyways
Male
France
Seen June 4th, 2014
Posted April 15th, 2014
22 posts
6.2 Years
Did you replace one of the ???????? Pokemon to create your Turtwig? As good as it seems, you're better off replacing one of the other Pokemon instead of the ??????? which are reserved for the Unknown letter slots.
No, I create a "slot". But I did not want to replace Pokemon "?".
You think it has to do with the entrance of this Pokémon in the Pokédex ?

Tlachtli

Crit happens.

Age 28
Male
Faraway place
Seen May 14th, 2019
Posted June 15th, 2017
267 posts
7.7 Years
No, I create a "slot". But I did not want to replace Pokemon "?".
You think it has to do with the entrance of this Pokémon in the Pokédex ?
When you say you created a slot, did you repoint the tables somewhere else and expand them? Trying to add on to the tables as they are is a big no-no, because there isn't any free space after them. Move them into empty space near the end of the ROM, change the appropriate pointers from the old table to the new one, then you can go crazy with expanding it.

When it comes to adding new pokemon without replacing the ????? ones, there's a lot of data to repoint. I mean, a lot. Name table, both the regional and national pokedex tables, pokemon data, cries, movesets, TM/HM compatibility, ect. Basically everything related to the pokemon themselves has data organized into a table, and to add more pokemon beyond the 386 limit will at the least require repointing and appropriately expanding all of them.

Can patching a rom too many times have negative consequences such as corrupting data? Because my team mostly patches because it is quicker to send an ips than a rom and now we can't insert cries when we do it sounds bad or is it something we did wrong?
Assuming the patches' producer(s) know what they're doing, it shouldn't be harmful to continuously patch the same ROM. However, with each new patch there exists some chance that the author will make some sort of mistake.

In your case, it's likely that a mistake was made somewhere along the way. I'm in the habit of making separate copies of project ROMs before making any major changes, so that it's easy to revert if something goes wrong.
Pokemon Sigma Σmerald:
(now under management by DraconianWing)

A Gen 3 remake de-make, featuring many new encounters and Gen VI mechanics

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....

Male
Do you really want to know? Really?
Seen January 12th, 2015
Posted December 14th, 2014
When you say you created a slot, did you repoint the tables somewhere else and expand them? Trying to add on to the tables as they are is a big no-no, because there isn't any free space after them. Move them into empty space near the end of the ROM, change the appropriate pointers from the old table to the new one, then you can go crazy with expanding it.

When it comes to adding new pokemon without replacing the ????? ones, there's a lot of data to repoint. I mean, a lot. Name table, both the regional and national pokedex tables, pokemon data, cries, movesets, TM/HM compatibility, ect. Basically everything related to the pokemon themselves has data organized into a table, and to add more pokemon beyond the 386 limit will at the least require repointing and appropriately expanding all of them.
Not to mention also knowing enough ASM to adjust all of the loading routines accordingly.

Paired with Simba

ThorhianTheUltimate

No, im not Thorzain

Seen February 17th, 2017
Posted February 24th, 2014
14 posts
5.8 Years
Some people just don't realize that VBA doesn't have a real BIOS file or think that is close enough, and they write their code around testing on VBA. I know, for example, that swi 0x12 (LZ77 Image Decompresion) uses registers 0, 1, 2, and 3 in the real BIOS file, but VBA's doesn't use r3. This resulted in JPAN writing a section of his hacked engine to use r3. So, his code didn't work with a real BIOS file because r3 was overwritten. I ended up fixing this when I learned about it.
Yeah, I know VBA didn't have a real BIOS file, it uses HLE to do the job for pretty much any normal game (correct me if I'm wrong). But if your editing... You really should use a real BIOS I guess as you have pointed out lol. Maybe a Guide on how to rip one from a GBA would be beneficial (I might just do it if I get the time lol). I know the author for no$gba released some software that could rip one over a parallel port from the Link port.

Is that sort of guide allowed on these forums?
Male
Seen January 30th, 2017
Posted June 4th, 2016
27 posts
8.9 Years
Hello, I am inserting Fairy type into Pokemon Ruby, and I did that by replacing ???-type with it. I've added all the weaknesses and resistances of Fairy into my game too, and even changed a couple of attacks to my new Fairy type. However, whenever I use any of those moves, they do barely any damage. Ex: My Lv70 Wigglytuff used a Fairy move with a Power of 80 on a Lv8 Nincada, and it only lost about 2 HP. I'm thinking it's because Fairy/??? isn't a Physical/Special type in Ruby version or something like that. I can't seem to find a solution in changing this type completely.
Shut up Woman, and get on Magcargo!

destinedjagold

Oh Hai Thar~

Age 28
Male
Philippines
Seen September 8th, 2019
Posted May 6th, 2019
8,596 posts
12.4 Years
Hello, I am inserting Fairy type into Pokemon Ruby, and I did that by replacing ???-type with it. I've added all the weaknesses and resistances of Fairy into my game too, and even changed a couple of attacks to my new Fairy type. However, whenever I use any of those moves, they do barely any damage. Ex: My Lv70 Wigglytuff used a Fairy move with a Power of 80 on a Lv8 Nincada, and it only lost about 2 HP. I'm thinking it's because Fairy/??? isn't a Physical/Special type in Ruby version or something like that. I can't seem to find a solution in changing this type completely.
Where did you add the new weakness/resistance?
Did you move the table into a new offset and added new data?
Have you repointed to the new offset location?

...or did you use a tool?

Male
New Zealand
Seen January 20th, 2014
Posted January 7th, 2014
6 posts
12.5 Years
Finally started my Rom Hacking again after finding new inspiration. Just wondering if it is possible to modify the five evolution's per Pokemon in FireRed i.e. increase Eevee's to eight?

Also wondering if it would be a simple Hex edit to have the Pokedex to display all information for simply seeing the Pokemon vs. having to catch every one?
Male
France
Seen June 4th, 2014
Posted April 15th, 2014
22 posts
6.2 Years

Yeah, I repoint all.
I added the stats of Pokemon, their sprites, their palettes, icons, palettes of icons, their names and their evolution.
I know I have not yet done everything, but I'm stuck on the problem that these Pokémon have the sprite and the name of MissingNo.
Advertiser Content