• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using favourites competitivly

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Anyone else completely ignore tiers when choosing their competitive pokemon, instead opting to choose your favourites and totally rock the competitive scene with your bros? Personally, I've been kicking major behind in OU and Ubers with Scyther, Jigglypuff, Venomoth, Machamp, Nidoking and Sharpedo.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I don't completely ignore the tiers, but I try to use my faves when I can. Evolite Munchlax is actually really good so I use him a lot. Then another favorite of mine, Sableye works pretty well competitively because of Prankster, so luckily a few of my faves are decent competitively :)

Redew

You worry too much.
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2022
I play to win, so I go by the tiers. I don't necessarily have a /favorite/ group of Pokemon (except for Dratini because it is so cute <3,) but I usually pick a favorite of a tier and build around that / them. If they end up not working then I can replace them with no remorse.

I don't completely ignore the tiers, but I try to use my faves when I can. Evolite Munchlax is actually really good so I use him a lot. Then another favorite of mine, Sableye works pretty well competitively because of Prankster, so luckily a few of my faves are decent competitively :)
Munchlax works in RU (although if it does currently I'd have to go with not really,) but don't take my word on it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Winning is always my utmost priority but I want to be a boss while doing it so I go with favorites more often than not. Gotta love Choice Band Escavalier under Trick Room lol.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Not really unfortunately. I would if I could though, most of my favourites are rather bad in competitive battling so I tend to avoid them quite a bit unless I feel like mucking around or really desperately want to fit it in my team. Although used to do it ages ago until I sadly realised I couldn't win without figuring the best strategies and better Pokemon. :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Wouldn't use it in OU, luckily a lot of my favourite Pokemon competitively are found in NU so I have no issue with using them in NU n_n

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
It is in my opinion a silly notion that you cannot use your favourites simply because tiers exist. On the contrary, tiers actually facilitate people who want to use their favourites by relegating pokemon that are too powerful for them to the higher tiers. This problem, I think, has to do with the mindset of most competitive battlers that OU is the only "real" tier where serious battles may exist, and that some of them get offended when their favourites do not make it into the tier.

It is therefore, in my opinion, a better solution to simply pack up and move to the tier where most of your favourites reside, and be the best within that tier where your favourites can shine without the threat of overpowering top-tier pokemon from the tiers above.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I've found you can use some Pokemon not considered competitively viable in a tier where it's not meant to be as long as it excels at the role you want it to do. Simply putting your favourite Pokemon on a team because you like it even though there are better options is silly but if it does a role well but sucks in other areas, good play and a good team will still allow it to excel.

The surprise factor is always good too.

Back