• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Zapdos, Moltres or Articuno

Your favorite

• Total voters

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Who did you caught between those three? Which one did you enjoy playing with and who is your favorite?
I caught Zapdos only on my first play of LG but later, i got to caught all three. My favorite is Zapdos.

Years
My favourite is Moltres. First and foremost, I like the name Moltres. I'm no etymologist but I'm pretty sure the name derives from "molton" and "très" (French) which makes "very hot". Moltres is a very hot bird and I like hot birds.

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
Zapdos.
Zapdos has always been my favorite. Before I actually got into the games, one of my favorite movies was Pokemon: The Movie 2000 - The Power of One... Out of the three birds, I thought Zapdos looked the coolest. :P

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2016
My favourite is Moltres. First and foremost, I like the name Moltres. I'm no etymologist but I'm pretty sure the name derives from "molton" and "très" (French) which makes "very hot". Moltres is a very hot bird and I like hot birds.

They come from arctic+uno, zap+dos and molten+tres.

Uno, dos and tres are one, two and three in Spanish.

OT: Articuno is my favourite because it's the best looking.

Years
Ever since I found out that Articuno could employ the combination of Mind Reader and Sheer Cold, it quickly became my favorite of this trio, and of all Kanto legendaries in general. Zapdos would be in the middle of my list, since I did use it for a good while prior to the 3rd gen, and Moltres is my least favorite (not because I dislike it, but I prefer the other two more).

Years
I hate Ice types cause I love Dragon types, BUT I have to admit Articuno is my favorite!!!

Years
i like Zapdos because being a flying tyoe it neutralises one of electric types' only weaknesses, ground. So really the only type disadvantage it has is Rock Type... Plus Thunder is an epic move.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I really like all three, but I'm going to go with Articuno, purely on aesthetics.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Zapdos, since I like its design a little more than the other two.

SereneAmbience

Founder of Pokémon Ambient
Years
My favorite is Articuno, because I love it's power and beauty. I love all three for their amazing concept and trio.
HOWEVER, I would have to say that Zapdos is indeed the powerhouse over type-advantages. I remember using it in Pokemon Stadium and its sequel as my special-offense. It only took 3 badges to obtain in Red/Blue, FR/LG. Also until fifth gen, it was the only Electric/Flying, which is an amazing type-combo.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
My favorite is Zapdos. I've always liked electric types and Zapdos looks the coolest of the three. And since he's Electric and Flying type, a normal flying type weakness is canceled out. Leaving just Rock and Ice to deal with. Not to mention... He's just cool.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I really like all three but if I had to pick I think it'd be Articuno. Moltres is a close second though, and Zapdos (although it was the first legendary I ever caught and it does better competitively than the other two) is probably my least favorite.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I'm a fan of Fire-type Pokémon, so definitely Moltres. It looks pretty amazing with its fiery, burning phoenix-like body, too, and it's a decent special attacker.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
I've never caught one and not the other two but Articuno is easily my favorite.

As I become older and learn more about Pokemon I've really come to like Ice types and art wise Articuno is one of the best looking Ice types (imo). I rarely use Legendaries but if I could get Articuno early enough in a game I would use it.

Plus Articuno used to be associated with Winter and Winter is my favorite season.

Years
I like Articuno a lot, because I feel you have to do the most work to get to it (I know each of them have their own dungeon you have to navigate in order to get to them, but dem Seafoam Islands were pretty tough!). Plus I quite like the moves it has upon capture (Ice Beam, in particular).

I have to laugh at myself never really trying/succeeding in catching the birds in the originals, but in LeafGreen I made it a point to catch and usually use each of them before the League.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Moltres, cos as the poster above me said, i like how its based on a Phoenix and Sky Attack is just good.

Back