The PokéCommunity Forums Create & Discover Roleplay Theatre
Interest Check a rp about roommates and also superpowers

Roleplay Theatre The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old September 27th, 2017 (12:09 PM). Edited September 27th, 2017 by Who.
Who's Avatar
Who Who is offline
rikadventure time
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
Nature: Naive
Posts: 29,531
>> roommates wanted

A slice-of-life/supernatural RP where a group of strangers probably aged 20-30 or so need a place to live for various reasons. They all come together in a big house owned by an odd figure. Before too long, each and every one of them discovers that they possess strange abilities, superpowers if you will. They'll have to learn how to deal with it. That includes deciding whether to keep it a secret or telling somebody... And if they choose the latter, will they tell their family, their roommates or their workmates? How will these powers and the new relationships they make in the house affect their everyday life as they go about pursuing their goals in life? The cause for all of this is for the players to find out by developing their characters and relationships together, while they explore the world that is thrown at them through events and other characters.

In summary: sitcom/soap opera/thriller + superpowers

- Does this sound interesting enough to develop?
- Should it be set in a fictional city or be at least loosely based on a real location?
- Would you sign up?
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old September 27th, 2017 (2:23 PM).
johhny03's Avatar
johhny03 johhny03 is offline
Cool guy
     
    Join Date: Sep 2017
    Location: israel
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 27
    -Yes

    -Maybe you can base it on my city in Tel Aviv it is very big and epic!!

    -If you will accepting me yes I will :D

    I love superhero in fact my favorite superhero is superman, I love his muscles and flying power :DD
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old September 27th, 2017 (2:47 PM). Edited September 27th, 2017 by Afterglow Ampharos.
    Afterglow Ampharos's Avatar
    Afterglow Ampharos Afterglow Ampharos is offline
    Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a built in nightlight and everything.
       
      Join Date: Jul 2016
      Location: trapped in Toby Fox's web of influence
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 670
      Huh. Interesting, but I don't really see where a GM comes into play here -- from the premise you set, it kind of sounds like only the players would be the ones posting, since they're interacting solely with each other and the apartment. Could you explain what the GM would be doing in this setting?

      If the restrictions on player characters aren't too narrow, I would join. I mean obviously you would have to throttle the breadth of superpowers that your PCs have so that things don't go amazingly overboard. But. Like, what kind of people we can have in the roleplay. For example, I'm already pondering some kind of superpower that would allow me to play something other than a human character.
      __________________

      Huge fan of Pokémon-only roleplay!
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old September 27th, 2017 (9:00 PM).
      Foxrally's Avatar
      Foxrally Foxrally is offline
       
      Join Date: Mar 2013
      Location: a Torterra's back
      Age: 19
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naive
      Posts: 2,588
      Despite being outspokenly against non-exciting and not action-oriented RPs and writing (mostly because I'm terrible at them) I actually think I would really enjoy something like this! The mundane setting of someone looking for a roommate could be expanded on in so many ways, like giving the apartment a mysterious or horror-movie-like backstory, or doing the same for the landlord. It would also be super fun to see how people put a superpowered twist on real-life situations, rather than the extraordinaire settings we all see in most RPs (not that I'm against them!)

      I think the only doubt and fear I'd have going into this is drive. Something like this needs not only a dedicated GM to whip players forward, but also an objective or storyline so that the RP doesn't slow down to a crawl after the first few weeks. Players need to feel like they're working towards something whatever the RP genre, and slice-of-life is no different. So, uh:

      - yee
      - doesn't matter much to me
      - 70% yee
      __________________
      Paired to Ice and gimmepie
      3DS Friend Code
      0103-9972-1307
      I make memes and other carcinogens
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old September 27th, 2017 (9:26 PM).
      Who's Avatar
      Who Who is offline
      rikadventure time
       
      Join Date: Nov 2007
      Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
      Nature: Naive
      Posts: 29,531
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Afterglow Ampharos View Post
      Huh. Interesting, but I don't really see where a GM comes into play here -- from the premise you set, it kind of sounds like only the players would be the ones posting, since they're interacting solely with each other and the apartment. Could you explain what the GM would be doing in this setting?

      If the restrictions on player characters aren't too narrow, I would join. I mean obviously you would have to throttle the breadth of superpowers that your PCs have so that things don't go amazingly overboard. But. Like, what kind of people we can have in the roleplay. For example, I'm already pondering some kind of superpower that would allow me to play something other than a human character.
      I'm thinking loads! Either, the GM can participate as a player too, or control the landlord and send other NPCs and events at the house.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Foxrally View Post
      Despite being outspokenly against non-exciting and not action-oriented RPs and writing (mostly because I'm terrible at them) I actually think I would really enjoy something like this! The mundane setting of someone looking for a roommate could be expanded on in so many ways, like giving the apartment a mysterious or horror-movie-like backstory, or doing the same for the landlord. It would also be super fun to see how people put a superpowered twist on real-life situations, rather than the extraordinaire settings we all see in most RPs (not that I'm against them!)

      I think the only doubt and fear I'd have going into this is drive. Something like this needs not only a dedicated GM to whip players forward, but also an objective or storyline so that the RP doesn't slow down to a crawl after the first few weeks. Players need to feel like they're working towards something whatever the RP genre, and slice-of-life is no different. So, uh:

      - yee
      - doesn't matter much to me
      - 70% yee
      Ah, you'd like more plot to write towards than "where thef do these powers come from"? I see, good advice.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #6    
      Old September 27th, 2017 (11:37 PM).
      Junier's Avatar
      Junier Junier is offline
      a junebug // on rpt
         
        Join Date: Jun 2015
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Hasty
        Posts: 1,053
        Yeah, based on what Fox said, I think it'd be especially important to a solid backbone that the casts' separate interactions can branch off of. Creating intrigue through the landlord is probably the best way of doing this.

        The other most crucial thing is crafting an interesting backdrop via setting, and an original city would encourage that the most.

        If I could contribute a bit suggestion-wise:
        Start with the characters' discovering their powers rather than with the cast first moving in to get the ball rolling as soon as you can. Delaying the inevitable, as well as your roleplay's biggest selling point, could be fatal, especially to a "slice-of-life" story bound to have its slower moments.

        But yeah; I'm entering a minor RP binge so I'd personally be interested in signing up, and it looks like you've attracted some significant interest already, so I'll definitely encourage you to develop your idea!
        __________________
        academics can fantasize too, you know
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old September 28th, 2017 (12:34 PM).
        Who's Avatar
        Who Who is offline
        rikadventure time
         
        Join Date: Nov 2007
        Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
        Nature: Naive
        Posts: 29,531
        I've been considering whether to start it with everybody moving in or with them already having lived there for a while. I've never been a big fan of creating many characters that are supposed to know each other already when the RP starts up - it can be very tricky to write imo, as opposed to having your characters getting to know each other (and the player getting to know their own character) more naturally. Even if we did start with the moving-in, my plan was basically to let their powers appear only a day or so into it, as yes, the ball should start rolling properly and the "biggest selling point" shouldn't be at risk of never even appearing due to bored players c:

        Hmm, original city. Some world building then! That's always fun. Probably I'd be pretty vague on details in the initial OOC and let players say through their SUs what they think the city should be like. I mean, to suit their characters. And after the players have been accepted, we'd define the city better.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #8    
        Old September 28th, 2017 (5:09 PM). Edited September 28th, 2017 by Junier.
        Junier's Avatar
        Junier Junier is offline
        a junebug // on rpt
           
          Join Date: Jun 2015
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 1,053
          That's fair; I understand where you're coming from, especially with developing character relationships. I'm was mostly worried because of instances like Persona: Devil's Game where the Personae themselves weren't introduced IC during the RP's lifespan, despite players having determined them in their apps. But I'm sure it's more in how organized the GM is over one starting point being objectively better than the other!

          And I love the idea of players working together on the setting, as long as there's a foundation covering the basics we could go off of.
          __________________
          academics can fantasize too, you know
          Reply With Quote
            #9    
          Old September 28th, 2017 (8:08 PM).
          Foxrally's Avatar
          Foxrally Foxrally is offline
           
          Join Date: Mar 2013
          Location: a Torterra's back
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naive
          Posts: 2,588
          I'm more on Rika's side here, I think starting off with everyone knowing each other would be pretty weird to write, because all of the first interactions would have to be thought of OOC (which is a much less natural way of doing it). "Getting the ball rolling" doesn't necessarily have to be in terms of the powers, it can be in the interactions themselves.

          But I do agree that we should get our powers fairly early, so that the cool stuff happens as soon as possible. CMON RIKA DROP US WITH SOME LORE
          __________________
          Paired to Ice and gimmepie
          3DS Friend Code
          0103-9972-1307
          I make memes and other carcinogens
          Reply With Quote
            #10    
          Old September 29th, 2017 (11:34 AM).
          Afterglow Ampharos's Avatar
          Afterglow Ampharos Afterglow Ampharos is offline
          Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a built in nightlight and everything.
             
            Join Date: Jul 2016
            Location: trapped in Toby Fox's web of influence
            Age: 28
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Careful
            Posts: 670
            I assumed the superpowers would be in our backstory and the meeting each other/becoming roommates would be on-screen.
            __________________

            Huge fan of Pokémon-only roleplay!
            Reply With Quote
              #11    
            Old September 29th, 2017 (11:59 AM).
            Who's Avatar
            Who Who is offline
            rikadventure time
             
            Join Date: Nov 2007
            Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
            Nature: Naive
            Posts: 29,531
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Afterglow Ampharos View Post
            I assumed the superpowers would be in our backstory and the meeting each other/becoming roommates would be on-screen.
            That could be one way to do it, but then it'd be a tad bit too convenient that we all just happened to move into the same house. Unless the landlord specifically made sure that these people found the ad and were offered rooms, because the landlord knew that they had power...

            It becomes up to me to decide then whether it is the landlord/house that causes the powers to appear, or if the people had the powers already in secret and the landlord chose them because of it. Was that how you meant?
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #12    
            Old September 29th, 2017 (2:01 PM).
            GanguEevee's Avatar
            GanguEevee GanguEevee is offline
            ~Calamity Trigger~
               
              Join Date: Feb 2012
              Location: Bronx, NY
              Age: 17
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Serious
              Posts: 272
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Junier View Post
              That's fair; I understand where you're coming from, especially with developing character relationships. I'm was mostly worried because of instances like Persona: Devil's Game where the Personae themselves weren't introduced IC during the RP's lifespan, despite players having determined them in their apps.
              Oh god, don't remind me. I'm still bitter about the RP's early death sorta no thanks to Z.
              ...Yeah, that's all I can say here. All I can say is that this sounds really cool and stuff.
              __________________
              ~Calamity Trigger~
              "O' silver blade forged in the depths of the beyond, heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way! Lay waste."
              Reply With Quote
                #13    
              Old September 29th, 2017 (5:19 PM).
              Afterglow Ampharos's Avatar
              Afterglow Ampharos Afterglow Ampharos is offline
              Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a built in nightlight and everything.
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2016
                Location: trapped in Toby Fox's web of influence
                Age: 28
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Careful
                Posts: 670
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by adventure View Post
                That could be one way to do it, but then it'd be a tad bit too convenient that we all just happened to move into the same house. Unless the landlord specifically made sure that these people found the ad and were offered rooms, because the landlord knew that they had power...

                It becomes up to me to decide then whether it is the landlord/house that causes the powers to appear, or if the people had the powers already in secret and the landlord chose them because of it. Was that how you meant?
                Yeah! Sure! That's what I meant!
                You actually had a smarter answer to that than what I actually meant! So let's just go with what you said, I like it!
                __________________

                Huge fan of Pokémon-only roleplay!
                Reply With Quote
                  #14    
                Old September 29th, 2017 (8:35 PM).
                Foxrally's Avatar
                Foxrally Foxrally is offline
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2013
                Location: a Torterra's back
                Age: 19
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Naive
                Posts: 2,588
                I'd personally prefer if the powers were 'given' when they actually reached the house, rather than the powers being 'awakened' like we're all some sort of Skyrim-type chosen ones (and I'm kind of tired of seeing that trope anyway). Would allow for some more variety, because if we went with the awakening path, all the characters would need to have some predisposed connection. I'd prefer it to be like, completely random people, most of which have nothing in common, suddenly getting powers from the house or landlord.
                __________________
                Paired to Ice and gimmepie
                3DS Friend Code
                0103-9972-1307
                I make memes and other carcinogens
                Reply With Quote
                  #15    
                Old September 29th, 2017 (11:38 PM).
                Who's Avatar
                Who Who is offline
                rikadventure time
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2007
                Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
                Nature: Naive
                Posts: 29,531
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Afterglow Ampharos View Post
                Yeah! Sure! That's what I meant!
                You actually had a smarter answer to that than what I actually meant! So let's just go with what you said, I like it!
                XD <3

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Foxrally View Post
                I'd personally prefer if the powers were 'given' when they actually reached the house, rather than the powers being 'awakened' like we're all some sort of Skyrim-type chosen ones (and I'm kind of tired of seeing that trope anyway). Would allow for some more variety, because if we went with the awakening path, all the characters would need to have some predisposed connection. I'd prefer it to be like, completely random people, most of which have nothing in common, suddenly getting powers from the house or landlord.
                Yeah I think I prefer that too, also because otherwise there's not at all as much mystery about it.

                We could basically start it off with a GM-recap/intro of the moving in process and then kick the actual RP up the next morning when everybody has their stuff in place and is preparing to go to work/uni/wherever they spend their days. Perhaps doing it for a day with no powers and make the powers appear after the second night. I'll have to make sure the first day doesn't get dragged out, is all haha.
                __________________
                Reply With Quote
                  #16    
                Old September 29th, 2017 (11:39 PM). Edited September 30th, 2017 by Songbird.
                Songbird's Avatar
                Songbird Songbird is offline
                Is Unicorn a good girl?
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2013
                  Gender: Female
                  Posts: 511
                  I agree with Fox on the matter of how the powers are acquired—given rather than innate. Having "destined" superhumans screams major antagonists and saving the world.

                  If you need some ideas: assuming the landlord is a genuinely "odd figure", signing the lease could be equivalent to making a deal with the devil.

                  It may be interesting if the powers acquired weren't entirely inherent, either. As in, they could be influenced by the landlord's dialogue, commentary or something like a unique trigger phrase (whether or not it's understood by the character) before the power itself comes into play. That would turn things further away from the idea that these people were supposed to be here, and more towards a god playing Sims. [[Slight edit to make this hopefully easier to understand, because I seem to be the opposite more often than not: this is not saying to remove player choice.]]
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #17    
                  Old September 29th, 2017 (11:53 PM). Edited September 29th, 2017 by metroid711.
                  metroid711's Avatar
                  metroid711 metroid711 is offline
                  Thumbs up~
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2017
                    Location: Arkansas
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 876
                    - Does this sound interesting enough to develop?
                    A. definitely
                    - Should it be set in a fictional city or be at least loosely based on a real location?
                    A. fictional would be cool due to world building
                    - Would you sign up?
                    A. yeah

                    Edit: haven't ever really rped on here. so this seems like a cool first start
                    __________________
                    "Even in a book of lies sometimes you find truth. There is indeed a season for all things and now that I see you flesh-to-flesh and blood-to-blood I know I cannot raise my hand against you. But know this, you are my greatest disappointment. Does your master hear me? Atlas! You can kill me, but you will never have my city. My strength is not in steel and fire, that is what the parasites will never understand. A season for all things! A time to live and a time to die, a time to build... and a time to destroy!”
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18    
                    Old September 29th, 2017 (11:58 PM).
                    Who's Avatar
                    Who Who is offline
                    rikadventure time
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2007
                    Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
                    Nature: Naive
                    Posts: 29,531
                    Well, I'd still like to let players decide their power for themselves. We're not talking Superman with x-ray vision, levitation and super strength here, but rather more like X-men, something odd they can do that could be seen as a power (or mutation). But yeah, contrary to how some superpower style RPs have done it, the individual powers could be seemingly unfitting for each person rather than suit their personality!
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #19    
                    Old September 30th, 2017 (12:00 AM).
                    metroid711's Avatar
                    metroid711 metroid711 is offline
                    Thumbs up~
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2017
                      Location: Arkansas
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 876
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by adventure View Post
                      Well, I'd still like to let players decide their power for themselves. We're not talking Superman with x-ray vision, levitation and super strength here, but rather more like X-men, something odd they can do that could be seen as a power (or mutation). But yeah, contrary to how some superpower style RPs have done it, the individual powers could be seemingly unfitting for each person rather than suit their personality!
                      yeah i honestly like the idea of the players picking it.
                      another way to put it would be like Quirks from Boku no Hero Academia
                      __________________
                      "Even in a book of lies sometimes you find truth. There is indeed a season for all things and now that I see you flesh-to-flesh and blood-to-blood I know I cannot raise my hand against you. But know this, you are my greatest disappointment. Does your master hear me? Atlas! You can kill me, but you will never have my city. My strength is not in steel and fire, that is what the parasites will never understand. A season for all things! A time to live and a time to die, a time to build... and a time to destroy!”
                      Reply With Quote
                        #20    
                      Old September 30th, 2017 (2:30 AM). Edited September 30th, 2017 by Junier.
                      Junier's Avatar
                      Junier Junier is offline
                      a junebug // on rpt
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2015
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Hasty
                        Posts: 1,053
                        If the roleplay is ultimately about fantastical abilities affect characters' lives, then I think permitting player choice is the right way to go. How the powers are the way they are seems more like underlying intrigue.

                        Might players be able to choose powers after Day 1? This can allow players to focus on creating a character first, rather than a vessel for a cool ability. And it'd prevent cheesy foreshadowing, a character getting visions of their future ability in a dream, before it even happens!

                        Shout out to the devil deal parallel Birdy made, I'd love to see that set-up implemented. I'm impartial on how direct the landlord's link to the powers is, but It'd be great if the cast had an inclination, however vague, of what they were getting into; it indicates they were active enough to take a risk, too, which minimizes the chance of passive, "strung-along" characters (the sort that don't really further anything; I remember a pretty old RP I was in here, the cast just stood around in a circle for a few posts, lol.)
                        __________________
                        academics can fantasize too, you know
                        Reply With Quote
                          #21    
                        Old September 30th, 2017 (5:50 PM).
                        Blacephalon's Avatar
                        Blacephalon Blacephalon is offline
                        Will you survive?
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2016
                        Location: There are two alternate universes to this question
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Jolly
                        Posts: 766
                        I remember an RP on another forum with a similar concept to this except the characters were based off of ancient gods/goddesses and were college-esque kids living in an academy with classes. Idk, the idea you have just sparked this memory on my end. :P

                        It's a cool idea though! I don't have much experience with SoL RPs but I do find them attractive in that they're somewhat more easy to get into then other concepts imo. As for the powers, either having them already or after is fine by me (I'm not picky :p). I would definitely be down for this!
                        Reply With Quote
                          #22    
                        Old September 30th, 2017 (11:39 PM).
                        Godzil's Avatar
                        Godzil Godzil is offline
                        Dapper bowler hat
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2010
                          Location: Arizona, USA
                          Age: 27
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Modest
                          Posts: 1,336
                          I want in.

                          There, Groc wants to do it, so it has to be made. Done deal.

                          Joking aside, I love superpower games, and I've been craving a good Slice of Life for years. The last slice of life game I was in was in 2013, and that got derailed by war and fighting and everything becoming dark and edgy. I know it sounds presumptuous, but can this game focus on interaction, and having fun with powers, and maybe be funny? Obviously there's darker things afoot, and we'll get to the bottom of them eventually, but I wouldn't mind taking it slow.

                          Maybe I'll just make that my character, the apathetic one. I won't tell you how to play yours.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #23    
                          Old October 1st, 2017 (9:14 AM).
                          Who's Avatar
                          Who Who is offline
                          rikadventure time
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2007
                          Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
                          Nature: Naive
                          Posts: 29,531
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
                          I want in.

                          There, Groc wants to do it, so it has to be made. Done deal.

                          Joking aside, I love superpower games, and I've been craving a good Slice of Life for years. The last slice of life game I was in was in 2013, and that got derailed by war and fighting and everything becoming dark and edgy. I know it sounds presumptuous, but can this game focus on interaction, and having fun with powers, and maybe be funny? Obviously there's darker things afoot, and we'll get to the bottom of them eventually, but I wouldn't mind taking it slow.

                          Maybe I'll just make that my character, the apathetic one. I won't tell you how to play yours.
                          No, EVERYBODY MUST TAKE ACTION AND BE EDGY

                          jk my plan was to make it more slice-of-life than anything, exploring how different characters can become friends or bitter enemies and use their powers (or not use them), while letting the underlying reasons and plot behind everything be background - unless it turns out the characters are genuinely intrigued and want to explore the mystery.
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #24    
                          Old October 3rd, 2017 (7:26 AM).
                          Star Arcana's Avatar
                          Star Arcana Star Arcana is offline
                          Hope springs eternal
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2017
                            Location: Where the maple trees grow
                            Age: 26
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 260
                            *walks in not-so-fashionably late*

                            This does seem like a neat idea, and I'd very likely join in. However, I would like the mystery to be important, though I guess if some characters took interest in it, than it would.

                            Slice of life is kind of a finicky thing; it's great when players contribute and engage, but it can become boring if things slow down too much.

                            Just my 2 (late) cents.
                            __________________

                            Paired with my BF, CountDVB
                            Reply With Quote
                            Reply

                            Quick Reply

                            Join the conversation!

                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                            Create a PokéCommunity Account

                            Sponsored Links
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:13 PM.