The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Anime
Favorite main female companion

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite main female companion in the anime?
Misty (OS) 17 20.99%
May (AG) 4 4.94%
Dawn (DP) 30 37.04%
Iris (BW) 6 7.41%
Serena (XY) 19 23.46%
Lillie (SM) 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:29 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pleago View Post
    Dawn, great development, I really liked her personality and her bond with Ash.

And she is the only character to get the role of co star along with Ash.

You know, I always get deeply irritated when people claim that Dawn's the only one who got "co-star status" with Ash. ALL the characters were co-stars (yes, even Brock)! Do I really have to remind you that several of the episodes, as early back as Kanto as a matter of fact, literally open up with the narrator specifically referring to the main characters as, and I quote, "our heroes"? Such a description would not make sense if Ash had no "co-star" besides Dawn, as the term heroes, aside from it meaning people who are aligned with good, is also a term that refers to the actual stars of the series, the characters who receive the most focus, in other words. If they really wanted to emphasize that there were no co-stars until DP, they would have specifically worded them as "our hero and his sidekicks", specifically to make clear they aren't actually co-stars, or even the main characters at all. Words have meaning, after all. Besides, a lot of the main characters got openings and endings to themselves, even Misty got one (if I remember correctly, it's the one with the characters being on a Lapras).

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:13 PM).

I dont really dislike any of them honestly, they all sort of fill a similar niche in that they seem super friendly and nice but have a slight edge to their personalities that makes them memorable as characters.

I think I do like Misty more than the others, if only because she came off less like a damsel in distress and she needed a lot less hand holding than most of the other main female cast. The others felt like less of a third wheel than her, and you can tell the show tried to give the female sidekicks more importance in the shows by giving them goals and ambitions in the show but ultimately Ash is the one who would always take centre stage because thats just the way show works.

That isnt me throwing shade at the other female characters, its sort of just the way it is. I enjoy all of them for what they are though
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:37 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by MysticalNinetales.

Nature: Sassy
        DAWN! I love her personality, she's compassionate, caring, and in my opinion is very realistic. She has phenomenal character development, displaying a lack of confidence and self worth in the beginning, which is refreshing because it makes her relatable. Throughout the series she grows increasingly confident in her abilities and becomes a total bad ass. Probably my favourite thing about her is how she pursued her own dream separate from Ash's, she wasn't his feeble, tag-a-long girlfriend, instead she had real purpose and independence which I love. Also, she has an amazing pokemon team and I loved seeing her compete in pokemon contests. In my opinion, they were more enthralling than Ash's gym battles, and completely overshadowed them. Ultimately Dawn is strong, outgoing, beautiful, kind-hearted and just an amazing character that was my inspiration growing up as I've always connected with her. :)

On another note, I'm disappointed to see not a lot of love for May. Sure, she has her flaws, but she is easily my second favourite.

Another other note: I HATE IRIS, SHE'S THE WORST. SO ANNOYING AND STUPID, I'VE WANTED TO SLAP HER SO BAD. RUINED B&W.
        Old 5 Days Ago (5:48 PM).

Nature: Mild
          My favorites are Misty, May and Dawn who are clearly superior female companions
          Old 5 Days Ago (2:16 AM).
          GameDev

Nature: Bold
            Nostalgia goggles might still be glued to my face, cuz I can't NOT pick Misty in any poll ever. But Dawn is a close second for me.
            Available on Mobile & PC Platforms!
            Weekly Development Updates: www.yotesgames.com
            Download the Latest Demo: Battle Gem Ponies (Pre-Alpha Ver. 7)

Old 5 Days Ago (1:38 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
              To think that when this topic started that Serena had a commanding lead but now Dawn has overtaken her and has padded her lead considerably. Goes to show the popularity of Diamond&Pearl or Generation IV overall.
              Old 5 Days Ago (1:58 PM).
              The Unyielding Flame

Nature: Adamant
                Anyone but Dawn.
                Old 4 Days Ago (11:18 PM). Edited 3 Days Ago by Jacksterhikanearylup 136.
                Pearlshipper

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
                  Anyone but Dawn.
                  I respect your opinion.

Even though I am a massive Dawn fan and a Pearlshipper.

My Youtube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3F1xYbn0WrwlqWOHQ8T9fg
                  I make Pokemon Anime AMV's and disscussions.

Old 4 Days Ago (8:04 AM).

Serena , I miss you<3333333333333
                    Old 4 Days Ago (8:58 AM). Edited 4 Days Ago by CodeHelmet.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by janejane6178 View Post
                      Serena , I miss you<3333333333333
                      Well, if she's coming back, its going to be happening sometime soon. May returned in Episode 75 of Diamond&Pearl(which happens to be the number of today's Episode) while Dawn didn't return until Episode 85 in Black&White. Given that the Episodes for 76 through 78 have already been announced, I'd peg her return(if it happens!!) from Episode 80 to 85. Granted if Dawn's return is any indication, she didn't return until after Ash had completed the Black&White Gyms. May follow the same pattern in Sun&Moon since its likely Ash will beat Nanu in Episode 77 for his 3rd Grand Trial win. If he quickly runs over to Poni for Trial#4, he could be done by Episode 85 for Serena's return.

Anyways, I remember when this topic had 30 votes. Roughly 50 votes later and like half of them went to Dawn. Crazy support right there. Still dismayed by the lack of support for May(she's better than what people think).
                      Old 4 Days Ago (9:10 AM). Edited 4 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
                        Well, if she's coming back, its going to be happening sometime soon. May returned in Episode 75 of Diamond&Pearl(which happens to be the number of today's Episode) while Dawn didn't return until Episode 85 in Black&White. Given that the Episodes for 76 through 78 have already been announced, I'd peg her return(if it happens!!) from Episode 80 to 85. Granted if Dawn's return is any indication, she didn't return until after Ash had completed the Black&White Gyms. May follow the same pattern in Sun&Moon since its likely Ash will beat Nanu in Episode 77 for his 3rd Grand Trial win. If he quickly runs over to Poni for Trial#4, he could be done by Episode 85 for Serena's return.

Anyways, I remember when this topic had 30 votes. Roughly 50 votes later and like half of them went to Dawn. Crazy support right there. Still dismayed by the lack of support for May(she's better than what people think).
                        Yeah, I doubt it. Let's not forget that Iris hadn't come back at all in XY, and she had been the most recent Pokémon Girl to be present. Not to mention S&M's nearly over (for goodness sakes, by July they're pretty much finished with Generation VII via unveiling Zeraora, and will probably have some details on Generation VIII released by that point), so what are they going to do with Serena at this point? Besides, Serena's doing Pokémon Contests in Hoenn currently, and I don't think Pokémon Contests are even in Alola (they would have alluded to them by now if they did).

Anyways, if any Pokegirl is going to be reappearing in the near future, it's probably going to be Misty, mostly because she got a plushie back in March, and that was after the 20th Anniversary was pretty much over. Besides, she and Brock pretty much promised that they'll meet Ash in Alola, meaning they aren't finished in SM yet.
                        Old 4 Days Ago (9:17 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                          Yeah, I doubt it. Let's not forget that Iris hadn't come back at all in XY, and she had been the most recent Pokémon Girl to be present. Not to mention S&M's nearly over (for goodness sakes, by July they're pretty much finished with Generation VII via unveiling Zeraora, and will probably have some details on Generation VIII released by that point), so what are they going to do with Serena at this point? Besides, Serena's doing Pokémon Contests in Hoenn currently, and I don't think Pokémon Contests are even in Alola (they would have alluded to them by now if they did).

Anyways, if any Pokegirl is going to be reappearing in the near future, it's probably going to be Misty, mostly because she got a plushie back in March, and that was after the 20th Anniversary was pretty much over. Besides, she and Brock pretty much promised that they'll meet Ash in Alola, meaning they aren't finished in SM yet.
                          Eh possibly but I foresee an end of the world arc coming with Team Rocket and Necrozma. Last time we had something similar to that was in Kalos with Zygarde and a particular Water starter that could Mega-Evolve. Wouldn't shock me if Serena was to return along with Greninja(wherein it becomes Ash's 6th Pokemon). Highly unlikely but you can't outright dismiss it.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (9:22 AM).
                          Also known as 'Michelle' to some.

Kill me for this or whatever but I've always loved Iris.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (11:24 AM).

Nature: Naive
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by L'Belle View Post
                          No need for killing ^^ Refreshing to see someone have an unusual favorite. I think it's rather unusual that she is a fav, at least.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (11:25 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by adventure View Post
                          No need for killing ^^ Refreshing to see someone have an unusual favorite. I think it's rather unusual that she is a fav, at least.
                          I agree! The funny thing is, she is not all that different to Misty at all, yet the latter is incredibly popular, which I have just never understood.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (11:36 AM).

Nature: Naive
                          Quote:
                          I agree! The funny thing is, she is not all that different to Misty at all, yet the latter is incredibly popular, which I have just never understood.
                          I guess Misty did it first, so Iris was a bit of a copy? XD even having her very young pokémon being carried around, like Misty had Togepi.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (11:43 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by adventure View Post
                          I guess Misty did it first, so Iris was a bit of a copy? XD even having her very young pokémon being carried around, like Misty had Togepi.
                          I didn't actually think that far, but I guess you could see it like that, haha. I just like girls like Iris and Misty a lot, but I like the former only slightly better than the latter. Both are fantastic and entertaining.
                          Old 4 Days Ago (11:43 AM).

Quote:

I'd rather she wouldnt return in this series.. I dont want her character to be ruined too by this horrible series
                            Old 4 Days Ago (12:14 PM). Edited 4 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
                              Eh possibly but I foresee an end of the world arc coming with Team Rocket and Necrozma. Last time we had something similar to that was in Kalos with Zygarde and a particular Water starter that could Mega-Evolve. Wouldn't shock me if Serena was to return along with Greninja(wherein it becomes Ash's 6th Pokemon). Highly unlikely but you can't outright dismiss it.
                              Yeah, I'm a bit doubtful about that, really. Besides, even if Serena does for whatever reason go to Alola, what would she do there? We don't want a repeat of Dawn in Unova.

Still, I'll acknowledge she's a bit more likely to reappear than Dawn or Iris, or May for that matter (and she has even less chances than those two due to KAORI basically doing what Hillary Duff did).

Quote:
                              Honestly? I actually think Iris is one of the better female leads myself, and a large part of that is in fact because she's similar to Misty, thinking that she came the closest to actually being a good successor to her. I'm also glad that she's actually ALLOWED to pursue her Dragon Pokémon Master goal, which is much more than Misty was allowed to have, where her sisters forced her to put that goal on the backburner (I'll never forgive the writers for that). Like I said in my first post in this thread, I thought Iris was my second best Pokémon female lead, after Misty, and certainly thought better of her than May or Dawn.
                              Old 3 Days Ago (11:34 PM). Edited 3 Days Ago by SunDust.

I only ever liked Misty. Despite liking the idea of Iris - a bizarre wild girl who was also a badass dragon trainer - I couldn't actually stand her in practice, and she had awful cheesy dialogue in the dub. Lilly was alright in the Jap version, I enjoyed a lot of her scenes, especially when she's overcoming her Pokemon touching phobias, but again the Dub version seems to lack any kind of real emotion and doesn't appeal to me at all.

Dawn was my least favourite. Her clothing is so mis-matched (winter scarf, winter hat, winter boots, but then the shortest mini skirt in the world with nothing on her legs purely 'because anime') and she was just way too girly and squeal-y. I didn't like the running joke of her hair being messed up (because that's all girls have to worry about, right?) Serena was just like a more mature version of Dawn. At least May had independence despite being boring as tar?

Misty was tough, had lots of personality, was girly but also had a tomboyish temper and wasn't afraid to take the lead. She was emotional but hid it most the time, and caring but put on a tough exterior. Plus she had a great dynamic with Pikachu which was adorable.

Name: Spectre
                                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                Old 3 Days Ago (12:01 AM). Edited 3 Days Ago by Chriskyle.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by SunDust View Post
                                  I only ever liked Misty. Despite liking the idea of Iris - a bizarre wild girl who was also a badass dragon trainer - I couldn't actually stand her in practice, and she had awful cheesy dialogue in the dub. Lilly was alright in the Jap version, I enjoyed a lot of her scenes, especially when she's overcoming her Pokemon touching phobias, but again the Dub version seems to lack any kind of real emotion and doesn't appeal to me at all.

Dawn was my least favourite. Her clothing is so mis-matched (winter scarf, winter hat, winter boots, but then the shortest mini skirt in the world with nothing on her legs purely 'because anime') and she was just way too girly and squeal-y. I didn't like the running joke of her hair being messed up (because that's all girls have to worry about, right?) Serena was just like a more mature version of Dawn. At least May had independence despite being boring as tar?

Misty was tough, had lots of personality, was girly but also had a tomboyish temper and wasn't afraid to take the lead. She was emotional but hid it most the time, and caring but put on a tough exterior. Plus she had a great dynamic with Pikachu which was adorable.
                                  Firstly I respect your opion, but I disagree with what you said about May, Dawn and Serena.

How is Misty way more exciting then May?
                                  May had great development and entred loads of contests, Misty barley did anything towards her goal.

And Serena is not more mature then Dawn, Serena went on a journey just to find a boy she had only known for 2 mins. Serena would have been hopeless if she was journeying by herself, Serena was afraid to even get a little dirty.
                                  Dawn is much more mature then Serena. Dawn was pretty much the only Female to get the role of co star and Dawn was mature enough to make her own decisions while journeying.
                                  And about her hair, she wanted it to look good, because if she had gone out in public with spikey up hair, people would have stared at her and thought she was lazy.
                                  And who cares about Dawn's outfit, Dawn had brillaint development and a brillaint bond with Ash and personality.

I respect your opion about the characters though.
                                  Old 3 Days Ago (2:30 AM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Chriskyle View Post
                                  Firstly I respect your opion, but I disagree with what you said about May, Dawn and Serena.

May had great development and entred loads of contests, Misty barley did anything towards her goal.

And Serena is not more mature then Dawn, Serena went on a journey just to find a boy she had only known for 2 mins. Serena would have been hopeless if she was journeying by herself, Serena was afraid to even get a little dirty.
                                  Dawn is much more mature then Serena. Dawn was pretty much the only Female to get the role of co star and Dawn was mature enough to make her own decisions while journeying.
                                  And about her hair, she wanted it to look good, because if she had gone out in public with spikey up hair, people would have stared at her and thought she was lazy.
                                  And who cares about Dawn's outfit, Dawn had brillaint development and a brillaint bond with Ash and personality.

It all comes down to 'Opinions'
                                  Old 3 Days Ago (3:13 AM). Edited 3 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
                                  weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Chriskyle View Post

Honestly, Misty did a LOT of stuff, maybe not towards her goal (which I'll admit was indeed a flaw, but she at least did a LOT more than Brock did in his entire run for HIS goal. Heck, technically, she did more for her goal than Ash did in Johto, or even up to DP if you think about it [at least we knew the full endgame for her goal, as well as several key details about her goal beyond the Whirl Cup and similar competitions such as training with and interacting with Water Pokémon and even researching them. Literally the only thing we knew for certain on Ash's goal was that he needed to get eight badges and at the very least compete in the regional leagues. We never got any confirmation whether he actually had to win a league to become a master or even fight the Elite 4 until DP, especially when they seemed to nix the idea that winning a league would have you become a Pokémon Master in the Orange Islands where he continued to travel DESPITE winning the Orange League.), but a lot of stuff nonetheless (and let's not forget, Ash and anyone else would have been dead multiple times over, or at least not able to continue their journey if it weren't for her). And I'd argue she had FAR better genuine development than May ever did, character development at that (I'm sorry, but the "development" May got was cheap and truly weak development, not true development. Do you really expect me to believe that a girl who is the daughter of a Gym Leader and thus would naturally be exposed to Pokémon Battles and by extension Pokémon themselves constantly would HATE Pokémon, and hating Pokémon like she did in the beginning would actually have her being disrespectful to the entire profession of Pokémon Trainer by even signing up. If you are going to be entering a Pokémon Journey which will require you to be exposed to Pokémon constantly, training them for various elements, you'd better like them. Otherwise, you really shouldn't have bothered signing up at all. And besides, it can't be due to problems in her family to drive her to hate Pokémon. May if anything had better relations to her family than Misty and Brock did [both of whom were the victims of outright abandonment, with Misty being treated as the runt of the litter and barely got much respect even AFTER her sisters forced her into the gym against her will, and Brock having to essentially act as a foster parent to his siblings thanks to his parents deadbeat status], yet those two never hated Pokémon in general, at worst only having a fear of bug types and a justifiable trauma towards Gyarados. Heck, she had way better family relationships than Jessie and James did with their families [Jessie, like Misty and Brock, was the victim of abandonment and constantly being transferred to multiple foster homes due to her mom working for Team Rocket and being on extensive leave, and James' parents tried to outright force him to marry a sadistic dominatrix who oddly resembled his partner in crime.], and even THEY don't hate Pokémon at all, and they're ESPECIALLY notable since they were members of a group that had zero qualms with outright murdering Pokémon. Misty's development came across as more natural.).

You mentioned Pokémon Contests, but quite frankly, the overfocus the show had on them is actually one of the bigger problems behind it, especially for the no small fact that they're little more than a sidequest in the games that don't even impact the story, at most only being necessary to evolve a Feebas into a Milotic to get the latter's entry into the Pokedex. It keeps those trying to play the games out of the loop due to the blatant false advertising by giving overfocus to the goals (the point of the anime is to advertise the games, right? Well, how are newcomer players going to think when they realize that, unlike May in the anime, or even Dawn in DP, they literally don't have a choice but to challenge Gym Leaders). Misty's goal at least can be theoretically achieved in the games by raising up a pure water-type team from beginning all the way to the Elite 4 and Champion. Besides, I fail to see the appeal in Pokémon Coordinating, which if it's anything like real life modeling is just going to have the characters wash out when they hit their 20s, not to mention enter drugs and possibly gain anorexia and bulimia, becoming extremely insecure about their appearances feeling they can only feel happy if they are the thinnest, prettiest, and all of that, and that's not even taking into account various other elements that are not to be mentioned on here.

Regarding Dawn, I really don't have much else to comment, but I will mention that ALL the characters, both before and after Dawn, were co-stars, not just Dawn (yes, I'm even going to count the likes of Brock, Tracey, and Max as co-stars), as they had various endings and openings dedicated to them (Misty had that Lapras ending in Kanto, or was it Orange Islands. It was Japan-only, I'll tell you that much), and besides which I can remember quite a few episodes dating back as early as the Indigo League where the narrator specifically refers to Ash and his friends collectively as "Our Heroes", which means they are co-stars ("heroes" aside from it being synonymous with the good guys, literally means the main protagonists. Had they wanted to establish that Ash was the only actual hero, they would have said "our hero and his sidekicks." Words have meaning.). And I still don't really think she had much development beyond the basics. A bit more than May, I'll give you that, but definitely not much compared to Misty. And BTW, I wasn't fond of her vanity towards her hair (I don't like it when characters obsess over their looks, was taught that was vain and was bad). And I did try to like her, but just couldn't. And honestly, May and Dawn both reminded me too much of the girls from Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, and I DON'T mean that in a good way. I guess I could agree with you that compared to Serena, Dawn definitely could do her journey by herself, so that's one positive to her (in fact, to be honest, I'm actually not sure why she didn't even do the journey herself and insisted on joining Ash?).

Regarding Serena, I'm not fond of her for a variety of reasons (namely, she had little reason to be on a Pokémon journey, or especially with Ash. I mean, granted, she at least had a bit more reason to go than May, but not by much; the overhyped shipping between Ash and Serena simply doesn't work for a variety of reasons, and she took longer to actually GET a goal than May did). Probably the closest I've got to a positive for her is that she at least didn't hate Pokémon before entering her journey, unlike May, so I can sort of forgive her for only becoming a trainer because of Ash.

And just as an FYI, I was NOT fond of how May and Dawn were subject to sexual fanservice (and based on what Masamitsu Hidaka said, it was deliberate. I'm surprised he wasn't fired for that remark back in 2010). They're 10 years old and thus it paints the show in a very distasteful light. Heck, technically, May shouldn't even be a 10 year old with the chest she's got. Misty and Iris at least look, and more importantly, actually ACT like 10 year olds, and are not basically used like Bulma was for most of Dragon Ball.
                                    Old 1 Hour Ago (1:17 PM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                                      Honestly, Misty did a LOT of stuff, maybe not towards her goal (which I'll admit was indeed a flaw, but she at least did a LOT more than Brock did in his entire run for HIS goal. Heck, technically, she did more for her goal than Ash did in Johto, or even up to DP if you think about it [at least we knew the full endgame for her goal, as well as several key details about her goal beyond the Whirl Cup and similar competitions such as training with and interacting with Water Pokémon and even researching them. Literally the only thing we knew for certain on Ash's goal was that he needed to get eight badges and at the very least compete in the regional leagues. We never got any confirmation whether he actually had to win a league to become a master or even fight the Elite 4 until DP, especially when they seemed to nix the idea that winning a league would have you become a Pokémon Master in the Orange Islands where he continued to travel DESPITE winning the Orange League.), but a lot of stuff nonetheless (and let's not forget, Ash and anyone else would have been dead multiple times over, or at least not able to continue their journey if it weren't for her). And I'd argue she had FAR better genuine development than May ever did, character development at that (I'm sorry, but the "development" May got was cheap and truly weak development, not true development. Do you really expect me to believe that a girl who is the daughter of a Gym Leader and thus would naturally be exposed to Pokémon Battles and by extension Pokémon themselves constantly would HATE Pokémon, and hating Pokémon like she did in the beginning would actually have her being disrespectful to the entire profession of Pokémon Trainer by even signing up. If you are going to be entering a Pokémon Journey which will require you to be exposed to Pokémon constantly, training them for various elements, you'd better like them. Otherwise, you really shouldn't have bothered signing up at all. And besides, it can't be due to problems in her family to drive her to hate Pokémon. May if anything had better relations to her family than Misty and Brock did [both of whom were the victims of outright abandonment, with Misty being treated as the runt of the litter and barely got much respect even AFTER her sisters forced her into the gym against her will, and Brock having to essentially act as a foster parent to his siblings thanks to his parents deadbeat status], yet those two never hated Pokémon in general, at worst only having a fear of bug types and a justifiable trauma towards Gyarados. Heck, she had way better family relationships than Jessie and James did with their families [Jessie, like Misty and Brock, was the victim of abandonment and constantly being transferred to multiple foster homes due to her mom working for Team Rocket and being on extensive leave, and James' parents tried to outright force him to marry a sadistic dominatrix who oddly resembled his partner in crime.], and even THEY don't hate Pokémon at all, and they're ESPECIALLY notable since they were members of a group that had zero qualms with outright murdering Pokémon. Misty's development came across as more natural.).

You mentioned Pokémon Contests, but quite frankly, the overfocus the show had on them is actually one of the bigger problems behind it, especially for the no small fact that they're little more than a sidequest in the games that don't even impact the story, at most only being necessary to evolve a Feebas into a Milotic to get the latter's entry into the Pokedex. It keeps those trying to play the games out of the loop due to the blatant false advertising by giving overfocus to the goals (the point of the anime is to advertise the games, right? Well, how are newcomer players going to think when they realize that, unlike May in the anime, or even Dawn in DP, they literally don't have a choice but to challenge Gym Leaders). Misty's goal at least can be theoretically achieved in the games by raising up a pure water-type team from beginning all the way to the Elite 4 and Champion. Besides, I fail to see the appeal in Pokémon Coordinating, which if it's anything like real life modeling is just going to have the characters wash out when they hit their 20s, not to mention enter drugs and possibly gain anorexia and bulimia, becoming extremely insecure about their appearances feeling they can only feel happy if they are the thinnest, prettiest, and all of that, and that's not even taking into account various other elements that are not to be mentioned on here.

Regarding Dawn, I really don't have much else to comment, but I will mention that ALL the characters, both before and after Dawn, were co-stars, not just Dawn (yes, I'm even going to count the likes of Brock, Tracey, and Max as co-stars), as they had various endings and openings dedicated to them (Misty had that Lapras ending in Kanto, or was it Orange Islands. It was Japan-only, I'll tell you that much), and besides which I can remember quite a few episodes dating back as early as the Indigo League where the narrator specifically refers to Ash and his friends collectively as "Our Heroes", which means they are co-stars ("heroes" aside from it being synonymous with the good guys, literally means the main protagonists. Had they wanted to establish that Ash was the only actual hero, they would have said "our hero and his sidekicks." Words have meaning.). And I still don't really think she had much development beyond the basics. A bit more than May, I'll give you that, but definitely not much compared to Misty. And BTW, I wasn't fond of her vanity towards her hair (I don't like it when characters obsess over their looks, was taught that was vain and was bad). And I did try to like her, but just couldn't. And honestly, May and Dawn both reminded me too much of the girls from Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, and I DON'T mean that in a good way. I guess I could agree with you that compared to Serena, Dawn definitely could do her journey by herself, so that's one positive to her (in fact, to be honest, I'm actually not sure why she didn't even do the journey herself and insisted on joining Ash?).

Regarding Serena, I'm not fond of her for a variety of reasons (namely, she had little reason to be on a Pokémon journey, or especially with Ash. I mean, granted, she at least had a bit more reason to go than May, but not by much; the overhyped shipping between Ash and Serena simply doesn't work for a variety of reasons, and she took longer to actually GET a goal than May did). Probably the closest I've got to a positive for her is that she at least didn't hate Pokémon before entering her journey, unlike May, so I can sort of forgive her for only becoming a trainer because of Ash.

And just as an FYI, I was NOT fond of how May and Dawn were subject to sexual fanservice (and based on what Masamitsu Hidaka said, it was deliberate. I'm surprised he wasn't fired for that remark back in 2010). They're 10 years old and thus it paints the show in a very distasteful light. Heck, technically, May shouldn't even be a 10 year old with the chest she's got. Misty and Iris at least look, and more importantly, actually ACT like 10 year olds, and are not basically used like Bulma was for most of Dragon Ball.
                                      May never hated Pokemon, she just didn't really have an intrest in them. Just because a family is a big fan of something, dosen't mean the son or daughter will as well. I have a friend who was like this (His whole family was massive football fans and he only got into football at the age of 10, before he had no intrest in football, I am talking about British football BTW)

And May probably felt preseured by her parents to get a Pokemon, she was probably worried that Norman would be dissapointed in her for not wanting a Pokemon.

And just because the games didn't make contests a big part of the game dosen't mean the Anime has to as well (The Anime and games are diffrent cannon)
                                      Making Dawn and May do gym battles and have the same goal as Ash, would make the show even more repetative and boring. Contests were diffrent and intresting.

What I meant about Dawn being a co star, is that she was the only companion to get as much development and focus as Ash.
                                      She was developed well past the basics, she went from someone who couldn't work out a map and get past an appeal round, to someone who only just lost a final and beat May.
                                      So Dawn was developed loads.

Misty was practically no diffrent from the start of the series to the end) (except maybe nicer and less abusive in her cameo's.)
                                      All she did was compete in the Whirl cup, she did practically nothing else. She was horrible to Ash and abused him. She should of been arrested for assult.

Quick Reply