• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Favorite and least favorite season?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
What do you think is the best season of pokémon, and the worst? I mean region-wise, but you may also split each region up into its separate seasons and judge them if you think one stands out from the rest.

Dive down and explain in detail if you can!

Years
Well, I watched only 4 seasons, until the end of D/P saga, so I'll say this one is my most favorite one, full of evolutions, full of insane and badass battles, i loved it the most. My least favorite (however i still liked it) would be Johto saga.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
It is a bit difficult to pick my favorite.

It'd be either:
- Advanced Genration, because it just has the most nostalgia for me of all.
- Diamond & Pearl, because overall the series was just good.
- XY(Z), because amazing visuals and Ash being more mature, only badly let down by a sloppy ending.

As for the worst:
Black & White. Lame companions, Ash being downgraded a lot, among things.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
My less fav is DP. I've been stuck in episode 123 for a while now. I even finished XY before DP, if that says something. Maybe if I watched it a few years ago I'd have loved it, but really, the episodic and repetitive format gets on my nerves. The animation isn't that good either.
Gym Battles sometimes look like something they have to do because reasons, rather than Satoshi's objective.

My fav is, by FAR, XY (and XYZ, which I'm currently watching). I really appreciate the character development and plot continuity (which goes to trash thanks to Sun & Moon, but anyways...).

Well, I watched only 4 seasons, until the end of D/P saga, so I'll say this one is my most favorite one, full of evolutions, full of insane and badass battles, i loved it the most. My least favorite (however i still liked it) would be Johto saga.

Yeah, Johto was hard to swallow, huh? Specially those awfully filler episodes. I watched it when back in the days when I was a kid but I remember thinking "Damn... when will they reach the next Gym? gimme a break..."

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Favorite- Season 1. Not too many fillers and something interesting in just about every episode. I didn't like how many episodes there were between Ash's 8th badge and the Indigo League and the Indigo League finale could've been better, but they were still good episodes. And of course the awesome original theme song and the Pokerap and Pikachu's Jukebox! Not the greatest quality no, but it was just fun. It did have too many fillers and episodes that aren't really worth watching but I give Johto credit for giving Ash more growth and giving us the episodes with Ash and Gary working together or having a more friendly competition, and of course the epic battles between them and vs Harrison in the Johto League.

Least favorite- Black and White/Best Wishes. Ash was way too dumbed down, Iris and Cilan are irritating, and most of the episodes are just boring. The only positives are the callbacks to Ash's original Pokémon and the episodes where Meowth travels with Ash and co. Team Rocket becoming dark and more serious just didn't work.

Years
My fave was probably Diamond & Pearl since I loved Dawn as a character (heck, she did partially influence my original username here) and there was a lot of cute Pokemon on her team, but balanced out by Ash having a badass vibe with his team. Paul also is probably one of the best-handled anime rivals, because he always reminds me of a competitive player who rejects Pokemon who don't have the stats it takes.

Worst for me was pretty much everyone else's, which was Best Wishes. Ash being turned into a noob was pretty much a "berserk button" for me, and Iris was without a doubt the bitchiest companion ever made. Every time I think of anime Iris, I couldn't stop thinking of bullies. How the hell were kids able to relate to that?

Sun & Moon is another what I consider "bad" season since I don't like the direction it's heading, so it'll definitely be giving BW a run for its money on my personal cringe level. It still bugs me how everyone seems to often praise the Alola saga, despite me knowing it and its many format changes was solely made as a poor man's attempt to compete with the "Pokemon killer" franchise that is Yo-Kai Watch.

If I did have to rank the sagas, it'd be this:
  1. Diamond & Pearl
  2. XY
  3. Advanced Generation
  4. Original series
  5. Best Wishes
  6. Sun & Moon

Even though SM is still ongoing, it is definitely going downhill for me very fast.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
My fave was probably Diamond & Pearl since I loved Dawn as a character (heck, she did partially influence my original username here) and there was a lot of cute Pokemon on her team, but balanced out by Ash having a badass vibe with his team. Paul also is probably one of the best-handled anime rivals, because he always reminds me of a competitive player who rejects Pokemon who don't have the stats it takes.

Worst for me was pretty much everyone else's, which was Best Wishes. Ash being turned into a noob was pretty much a "berserk button" for me, and Iris was without a doubt the *****iest companion ever made. Every time I think of anime Iris, I couldn't stop thinking of bullies. How the hell were kids able to relate to that?

Sun & Moon is another what I consider "bad" season since I don't like the direction it's heading, so it'll definitely be giving BW a run for its money on my personal cringe level. It still bugs me how everyone seems to often praise the Alola saga, despite me knowing it and its many format changes was solely made as a poor man's attempt to compete with the "Pokemon killer" franchise that is Yo-Kai Watch.

If I did have to rank the sagas, it'd be this:
  1. Diamond & Pearl
  2. XY
  3. Advanced Generation
  4. Original series
  5. Best Wishes
  6. Sun & Moon

Even though SM is still ongoing, it is definitely going downhill for me very fast.
I know what u mean. SM is really lacksture, in my opinion.
We hardly see any battles going on and the new cast is TOO big. I also don't like the fact that Ash stays in one place for too long.. It doesnt promote the games very well in that regard.

Years
I know what u mean. SM is really lacksture, in my opinion.
We hardly see any battles going on and the new cast is TOO big. I also don't like the fact that Ash stays in one place for too long.. It doesnt promote the games very well in that regard.

You do have a true point. The large main cast has proven to have a flaw already, in that Sophocles is getting the worst treatment, which isn't helped by the fact the fandom views him as the "new Clemont". It's like how Iris in BW was essentially a poor man's attempt to make a second Misty.

And while Ash has still been competent battle-wise, it is unfortunately hampered down by his new personality depicting him as extremely overexcited and his childish aspect being much more obvious than any previous series.

The fact Ash stays in one place for too long aka the school reminds me too much of Yo-Kai Watch, an anime that I love to blame for popularising slapstick in anime. Essentially, this new format was what I feel was made solely to appeal to kids who have short attention spans, which makes me feel not only extremely concerned about the future of Pokemon, but anime in general.

Sun & Moon also has horrible pacing, in that we're already seeing too much filler. Ash hasn't been showing much interest in the next trials at all as far as I'm aware, and now I also dread the "filler meter" will almost come close to surpassing the Decolore Island saga of BW, or even the most infamous filler-heavy Johto saga.

Years
Yeah, Johto was hard to swallow, huh? Specially those awfully filler episodes. I watched it when back in the days when I was a kid but I remember thinking "Damn... when will they reach the next Gym? gimme a break..."

Kind of, it's not that I hated it. You're right on the filler parts, that season was a bit tedious to watch honestly.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Favorite Series... hmm... A Tie between Battle frontier and XY/ XY&Z

Battle Frontier: I considered it better than its predecessor advanced generation. Fun battles, return of old friends and pokemon... and Satoshi winning in the end.

XY/XY&Z is so good: the improved animation and choreography of battles, Satoshi's badassery, the story lines, Serena Citron and Eureka, and of course the Satoshi and Greninja "Hero of Kalos" subplot. If not for the loss at the pokemon league this would've been my absolute favorite.

BW is messed up... even the appearance of the heavenly goddess Elesa couldn't save the show ( :D ) Companions, Satoshi getting the catch phrase "I FORGOT!!!", and the cut plot. This is easily the worst series.

Sun and Moon still airing, the show is still in its 26th episode. And already it seams to have Alienated some of the western fans (The Japanese love the new series XD) Although I do agree that the change of genre from Adventure to Iyashikei is somewhat surprising (Jarring for some. The hate is obvious) SM still proves to be a warm and light-hearted series.

I have no issue with the statement with the series Hikamaru... your free to have your oppinion of the show but what do you mean about the comment

Essentially, this new format was what I feel was made solely to appeal to kids who have short attention spans, which makes me feel not only extremely concerned about the future of Pokemon but anime in general.

I don't take offense to the comment about Pokemon... its the anime comment I'm a bit irked about. If you don't like the new series fine... just don't watch it. But don't drag Anime as a media through the mud and assume that their all going to be dumb-down for children.

If you just want a good Shounen show to watch - Go see My Hero Academia, unlike Pokemon which values friendship and teamwork. The show is about the value of working hard and to win with ones own strength, and what it means to be a real hero.

If you want drama there's Scums wish: a completely adult show about the nature of love affection and attraction...

Want a show with interesting story and lore with bad ass fights? Watch the Fate series by UFO table.

Straight action? DB Super is still airing and getting better by the episode.

Comedy? Watch Konosuba.

heck if you just want an adventure show there's Little witch academia which is still airing...

I get it Iyashikei is boring, nothing happens... that's not really the point of the genre. It's about healing... It's about the characters relationships or their daily day lives, and what makes them happy, it's suppose to make you the viewer happy. Shows like Flying Witch, Kobayashi's Maid Dragon, Ah! my Goddess. K-ON and Sweetness & Lightning. The format of the show isn't bad it's worked for decades now. Westerners People are just not used to it. Drama and conflict isn't everything in entertainment and media.

Yes Pokemon changed from a monster of the week show to an Iyashikei one. Did it change from a show primarily about battles, to one about friendship? Yes. Is anime being dumbed down for a younger audience hell no is the change bad one and is it copying (The slowly dying) Yokai Watch series well... That's for you to decide. ... Please don't drag the anime to your arguments.

Again no offense Hikamaru still love ya XD

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
You do have a true point. The large main cast has proven to have a flaw already, in that Sophocles is getting the worst treatment, which isn't helped by the fact the fandom views him as the "new Clemont". It's like how Iris in BW was essentially a poor man's attempt to make a second Misty.

And while Ash has still been competent battle-wise, it is unfortunately hampered down by his new personality depicting him as extremely overexcited and his childish aspect being much more obvious than any previous series.

The fact Ash stays in one place for too long aka the school reminds me too much of Yo-Kai Watch, an anime that I love to blame for popularising slapstick in anime. Essentially, this new format was what I feel was made solely to appeal to kids who have short attention spans, which makes me feel not only extremely concerned about the future of Pokemon, but anime in general.

Sun & Moon also has horrible pacing, in that we're already seeing too much filler. Ash hasn't been showing much interest in the next trials at all as far as I'm aware, and now I also dread the "filler meter" will almost come close to surpassing the Decolore Island saga of BW, or even the most infamous filler-heavy Johto saga.
Very good points. The slapstick and funny parts used to just be to break up the story and action and dialogue parts of the episodes, but now battles break-up the slapstick and dialogue and there's little story and action so far. As much as I think there should be more battling and action/story, I feel like the battling we have been getting has a "been there done that" feeling other than the Z-moves. The first trial battle with Pikachu vs Hariyama was really good, otherwise it's been mainly same old same old.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
My favourite are the X/Y series I loved how mature and awesome Ash was, also the battles were great. it's sad though that Ash released Greninja and didn't catch a grass type though.

Worst Best Wishes. The show was boring and Ash was very noob. Best parts were when Team Rocket trio were serious and Dark.

Didn't watched S/M series yet because I still didn't accept Ash releasing Greninja.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Again, I can't go by seasons as I have no idea how to tell seasons apart, so I will go by gens.

Best: I would have to say XY/XYZ. Hoenn and Sinnoh are about tied for second. I used to hate the SInnoh Saga because it was so long and it had an insane amount of fillers in it. But after I rewatched it, it became one of my favorites, not quite beating out Hoenn, but tied it.

Worst: Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto I started watching pokemon when it first came out. So it isn't about not being there at the start. Looking back, they arent't that great. Almost nothing but fillers. The characters didn't grow at all. They stayed basically the same through all the sagas. Johto did a better job, but again, it was basically copy and paste from Kanto. I didn't like how Ash acted, although he did grow up a little. I mean, like the only character that grew any to me was Gary, and he didn't make that many appearances in Johto.

The only thing that makes me like Johto is the Whirl Islands and the Whirl Cup Tournament and the League. I also really like some of the minor characters like Casey.

Like someone did earlier, I will list mine. 1 being best, 7 being worst.

1. Kalos
2. Hoenn/Battle Frontier
3. Sinnoh
4. Unova
5. Alola
6. Johto/Orange Islands
7. Kanto.

Last edited:

Minyong

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
Looking back, season 1 is probably not one of the best, but I have to say it's my favorite because I can't hold back my nostalgia. I only ever watched up to BW anyway, but I remember highly enjoying Sinnoh. BW was always my least favorite because the characters seemed like annoying knock offs of the first season and the animation was always really off-putting to me.

Back