• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're running out of ideas"

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
It's hard for them to ever "run out of ideas" when the basis for these ideas is inanimate objects or animal and plant species. I think that the execution could be better for some generations, like many of the fifth generation's new species, but that's also significantly based on personal tastes. It's subjective - almost everyone who truest argues that GF are running out of ideas is doing so because they don't prefer the newest set, or the newest few sets, to those that were present when that person became involved in the franchise.

sz

Years
CC_731528_cf24cd0474834842a42fc25f17029b26_lol_dibujando_nuevos_pokemon.jpg

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
i absolutely hate the argument that the newer pokemon aren't unoriginal because look at the first gen pokemon. then cue someone listing magnemite, muk, and exeggcute. people who make this arugment are completely missing the point of what other fans are trying to say.

it's not so much that the newer pokemon are unoriginal they're just too much, cartoonish, and silly. people love the first two gens so much because most of those pokemon are very simplistic and therefore realistic. They resemble real animals and objects without being forced. Are all the new pokemon terrible? No I don't think so at all. In fact I really liked the 6th and 7th gen pokemon, but it's a completely fair thing to say that a good portion of newer pokemon are visually... well really lame. I honestly don't know how else to put it, they're just weak man. That's a big reason as to why some fans feel that they're running out of ideas and I can understand feeling that way. I personally don't think they're running out of ideas, but I do feel a lot of their ideas over the years have been meh

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
We have three bears, about five dogs, six or seven cats, one or five Pikachus each season, an entire family of varied vulpine-esque things, literal spheres, a keychain, ice cream cones and gears.

Is this "running out of ideas"? Well, we are still pending about four kinds of bears, over 10 kinds of dogs and cats, and despite being 2017 we have zero wolves, zero dolphins, zero basilisks, zero Baba Yagas, etc.

I feel like the real issue (besides "muh GF doesn't do the Pokémon I like!" entitlement) is GF adding too few Pokémon each generation for the new or adjusted ideas to actually come to shine compared to all the entries that can be felt as rehash of old ones. It is difficult to say that say Alola adds enough variety when a good portion of the new entries is second takes at animals that were already made Pokémon before (Decidueye, Lycanroc) or more literal rehashes of already existing Pokémon (the "Alola forms" mechanic), but it is difficult only in the same vein that it was difficult to say that Unova added enough variety back then when pretty much the entire purpose of the generation was to pretend a redo from the beginning.

Years
Well there's a lot of subjectivity when it comes to whether or not a design is good or not. I do think Sun and Moon has some nice designs. However, they don't release as much Pokemon as they use to. Although it could be because GF doesn't want to reach the 1000 mark just yet, I think it's possible that the process of coming up with Pokemon is much harder because there's so many of them now. I remember hearing multiple times that the art team faced an art block during 6 gen(apparently Ken Sugimori had a bad one in particular). Which is why we have don't have Mega Flygon for ORAS...

Still time has passed since then but it's possible that there might be some trouble since Sun and Moon didn't really introduce that much new Pokemon either.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 48
  • Seen Aug 26, 2017
Only time will tell, but I hope they don't run out of ideas. However, I will say that I think that Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon looks pretty new and fresh to me.

Back