• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Why you think Charmeleon/Charizard didn't obey Ash ??

Auron

Legendary Guardian
Years
Well...Ash's Charmander always used to obey Ash's orders...But when Charmander evolved to Charmeleon, he obeyed no more...Why ??

He was missing his last trainer ??
Ash haven't got enogh badges ??
Charmeleon got too vain ??

Hiroki

¬¬
Years
Charizard was just a plot device. The writers made it evolve so Ash can learn to control it.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
I think of it as like Charmeleon was like a teenager. It had paid attention to Ash when it was young and naive, because it Ash showed it caring and love. However, when it got older, and learned more, it became cocky and saw Ash for what he was-- a rookie trainer that was still learning many of the basics. I think Charmeleon felt as if he didn't have any respect for Ash. When he started listening to Ash in the Orange Islands, it was after he saw how dedicated and serious Ash could be, even to something that was repeatedly rude and menacing to him. I think that when Charizard saw Ash doing that, he began to have some respect and admiration for the boy.

Charizard may have been a 'plot device' to show pokemon that disobey, but it was important because it showed that not even Ash could 'wow' every pokemon with a couple days of friendship. It also was an indication of Ash maturing IMO. ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2009
hmm good question!
and good point there Light Azumarill. Coulda just been pokemon evolving hormones :3

maybe... it's cause of his old trainer. "Like trainer, Like pokemon" and even though Charmanders old trainer abandoned it, it was still its first trainer. and that guy (Damien) i think it was. well he was just a big mean jerk, and only thought that the strong were good enough. leave the weak in the dust.

well maybe Charmander got that mindset. that Ash was weaker than him. even tho Ash did save him and all... old habits die hard. o.o

it could happen.

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
Years
because ash was in-experienced at the time....it's just the reality of what would happen if you were to get a Lv.50 charizard while only having the first badge...know what I mean?..

Years
Perhaps Charmander wasn't ready or didn't want to evolve. Or it resented battling all those Eggsicute (sp?) for no apparent reason. Then Ash had to earn its trust again, even though Charmelion/Charizard made it difficult.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
Perhaps Charizard was just feeling a little arrogant? That Ash seemed so much shorter and more inferior.. Oh yes, and I liked the theory by Light_Azumaril ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Or maybe it was jealous. I mean, it was one of Ash's original Pokemon, but Pikachu was always Ash's favorite, so...

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Oh, you know, I was looking through an old tape of Pokemon episodes the other day, and I came across the one where Ash gets Charmander. When it was up on the rock waiting for Damien, and Ash tried to catch it to take to a Pokemon Center and it refused, all three of them made a point of saying that Charmander had an 'attitude problem'. I suppose this might have alluded to its attitude later on. ^-^

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
Years
I totally agree with Light_Azumarill.. I think that charmeleon was acting like an average teenager who doesn't want to listen to his parents when they tell him that he mustn't go out or something.. and Ash who really isn't the kind of guy who would just boss aoround his pokemon didn't seem to have enough athuority to gain charmeleon's respect.. I also agree with the idea that might have had an attitude problem (I mean just see how badly Damien treated him) which only made the ''teenage rebel thing'' worse.. anyway Ash managed to gain Charizard's trust and respect in the end by saving his life.. personally I liked the idea that Charmeleon didn't obey Ash because it showed that being a pokemon trainer isn't so easy as it many times seems, that each pokemon trainer doesn't just catch pokemon in their pokeballs but he also has to gain trust and confidence from them which isn't allways easy.. well I'll stop phylosophying you know what I mean ^^

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Their explanation for it was that Ash wasn't experienced enough to control a Pokemon at such a high level. Which brings me back to the whole theory that Trainers must have levels and experience just like Pokemon do.

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2006
Charizard did't obey Ash so Ash could understand that its not easy to become a trainer Charizard was a lesson to Ash.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
I think of it as like Charmeleon was like a teenager. It had paid attention to Ash when it was young and naive, because it Ash showed it caring and love. However, when it got older, and learned more, it became cocky and saw Ash for what he was-- a rookie trainer that was still learning many of the basics. I think Charmeleon felt as if he didn't have any respect for Ash. When he started listening to Ash in the Orange Islands, it was after he saw how dedicated and serious Ash could be, even to something that was repeatedly rude and menacing to him. I think that when Charizard saw Ash doing that, he began to have some respect and admiration for the boy.

Charizard may have been a 'plot device' to show pokemon that disobey, but it was important because it showed that not even Ash could 'wow' every pokemon with a couple days of friendship. It also was an indication of Ash maturing IMO. ^^
Eh, I don't know. Charmander obeyed ash up to the moment he evolved and began disobeying him from practically the moment after.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I think that Charmeleon was rebellious and Charizard didn't respect Ash. Also maybe it was to show that Pokemon's personalities change when they evolve. Maybe similar would happen if Pikachu, Bulbasaur or Squirtle ever evolved.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I suspect that Charmeleon started acting out the moment Ash told him to hold back against a Paras, since he didn't like having to be weak. Prior to that, he was at least somewhat obedient and tolerant of Ash (as he didn't seem to have any problem after evolving and listened to Ash enough to at least heed Ash's request that he face Jigglypuff. It was only the situation with Paras where major problems occurred).

VoltYellow

And then Everyone Dies™
Years
I dunno why but I think that Ash was a little childish and he was not that Mature.....Maybe that's why Charizard thought that Ash was a Rookie trainer inspite of having the badges...but later he realised that Ash loves him ( At Jhoto, The Charizard Village) and both of them Started to care for each other.....
i am not sure if what i think is what the writers thought -_-

Back