• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

How Much Do You Think Ash Remembers?

Years
I wouldn't hold my breathe of this. I'd think if they were going to reunite him with Pidgeot they would have did so during Ash brief return to Kanto during the Battle Frontier Saga.

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's quite sad, to be honest...

I was talking about in leagues, and, why not do that? He'd do a lot better than he does now, for sure.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2011
This last week he swore he'd never slept in a tree before. He must have forgotten how Morrison and Beldum invited him to join them in trees on numerous occasions.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2011
Him teaching anyone the basics of anything is scary to be frank. :P

I consider that time to be when he was a great Trainer. He had experience and some knowledge. Unfortunately the Hoenn League didn't really live up to my expectations but in my eyes it was absolutely clear that he had experience in participating in a League.

Then Battle Frontier began and with it the Dub issues and all of that. I believe that is the first time we start to see Ash "lose" some of his experience. Come Sinnoh, he practically lost 80% of what he knew/experience. They built him from the ground up and with it he gained some new experience that he used in the Sinnoh League to make it one of the most action-packed yet.

Now in Unova, as Kenshin5 said they most likely "dumb him down" so they can appeal to a new audience. With every new region they have to demonstrate the basics and they just handled it poorly this time around. However, I personally believe that they will make it up with some great captures, incredible episodes, and the most exciting Pokemon League yet. But that's just me... :)

Years
I consider that time to be when he was a great Trainer. He had experience and some knowledge. Unfortunately the Hoenn League didn't really live up to my expectations but in my eyes it was absolutely clear that he had experience in participating in a League.

Then Battle Frontier began and with it the Dub issues and all of that. I believe that is the first time we start to see Ash "lose" some of his experience. Come Sinnoh, he practically lost 80% of what he knew/experience. They built him from the ground up and with it he gained some new experience that he used in the Sinnoh League to make it one of the most action-packed yet.

Now in Unova, as Kenshin5 said they most likely "dumb him down" so they can appeal to a new audience. With every new region they have to demonstrate the basics and they just handled it poorly this time around. However, I personally believe that they will make it up with some great captures, incredible episodes, and the most exciting Pokemon League yet. But that's just me... :)
I'm going to have to totally disagree with what you said about the Battle Frontier. If anything, that was Ash's peak. Ash used plenty of his old Pokemon, had some great strategies, and eventually defeated 7 amazing trainers.

I feel like Ash was improving from when he first got Pikachu until Sinnoh started. Ash felt like a total failure in Sinnoh but eventually got a random spurt of awesome during the league.

Now Ash doesn't know anything, and he's losing way too many battles for someone with his experience. If the anime was realistic at all there would be no reason fro Pikachu to beat Snivy. Seriously, it doesn't matter if Pikachu had not electric moves. Why would you use electric moves on a grass-type anyways? Yeah, I understand this is all for plot but it still unnerves me.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2011

I'm going to have to totally disagree with what you said about the Battle Frontier. If anything, that was Ash's peak. Ash used plenty of his old Pokemon, had some great strategies, and eventually defeated 7 amazing trainers.

I feel like Ash was improving from when he first got Pikachu until Sinnoh started. Ash felt like a total failure in Sinnoh but eventually got a random spurt of awesome during the league.

Now Ash doesn't know anything, and he's losing way too many battles for someone with his experience. If the anime was realistic at all there would be no reason fro Pikachu to beat Snivy. Seriously, it doesn't matter if Pikachu had not electric moves. Why would you use electric moves on a grass-type anyways? Yeah, I understand this is all for plot but it still unnerves me.

In regards to Battle Frontier, I never said he wasn't good. Just not the same as Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn. It was different and his battle style changed slightly. I definitely agree with you that he was good and defeated some extremely strong trainers, Ash was just different. Not in a sense of experience, just different than the previous seasons. I can't really explain it at the moment (maybe I'll find the right words after thinking about it later).

Ash did seem to be stagnant with progress when first arriving at Sinnoh. But I actually loved how they made him progress through the region (even though it was disgustingly long) because that was where we were given the first glimpse into Ash's true battle style. I mean the "Counter-shield" move was really original and the more he battled, the more this style was shown. I saw him progress starting from about the point he gained Chimchar all the way to when he faced Tobias.

Ash actually didn't make a "rookie mistake" or anything of that nature with the whole electric vs grass type thing. Pikachu is strong, we know it and so does Ash. And he also knew that Trip's Snivy was new and not that strong as of yet. If Ash could have used Pikachu's power as demonstrated against Tobias and Latios, Snivy would have been BBQ. And Pikachu has demonstrated plenty of times that types are not everything. Ash doesn't battle that way (he has said so many times himself) and Pikachu's Thunderbolt most likely would have ended the battle if Zekrom didn't block Pikachu's electricity. We still don't know if Pikachu's power levels are still even the same (Juniper said it was alright but that could have been directed towards it's health more than power levels).

Writing all of this, I think Ash remembers more than we might think. It's just the evolution of his character, battling style, change of friends, and the people around him that make it less noticeable. Sure he has his slip ups, but I mean we all do. With Unova, the writers just handled the who "tutorial" part badly as they just as easily could have made it like Pokemon Advance with Ash teaching May (or in this case Iris) or even a new trainer aside from Trip.

And with the whole Zekrom thing, I personally believe there is more to what happened. It just seems unusual to me that they would only have that event occur to weaken Pikachu. We'll see as the series progresses, but I believe there is a reason as to why Ash lost to Snivy/Trip and why Zekrom blocked Pikachu's electricity. But that is probably for another thread...

By the way, I hope you don't see this long response as me trying to argue on some topics. Just having some conversation sharing ideas.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
Years
  • Age 32
  • PA
  • Seen May 6, 2012
Didn't he promise that he'd go back and find his Pidgeot that he released one day? It'd be kinda sad if he forgot about that, and the Pidgeot remembers.

Like that Futurama episode with Seymour.

I just thought of Pidgeot singing I'm Walking on Sunshine because of that reference haha.

Also, Ash and Fry have alot in common mentally, just sayin.

Years
Ash actually didn't make a "rookie mistake" or anything of that nature with the whole electric vs grass type thing. Pikachu is strong, we know it and so does Ash. And he also knew that Trip's Snivy was new and not that strong as of yet. If Ash could have used Pikachu's power as demonstrated against Tobias and Latios, Snivy would have been BBQ. And Pikachu has demonstrated plenty of times that types are not everything. Ash doesn't battle that way (he has said so many times himself) and Pikachu's Thunderbolt most likely would have ended the battle if Zekrom didn't block Pikachu's electricity. We still don't know if Pikachu's power levels are still even the same (Juniper said it was alright but that could have been directed towards it's health more than power levels).
I still don't understand. If Thunderbolt would've most likely ended the battle then Iron Tail or even Quick Attack would've too. Are you trying to tell me that Zekrom came along and somehow zapped Pikachu's physical strength away? Meh, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2011

I still don't understand. If Thunderbolt would've most likely ended the battle then Iron Tail or even Quick Attack would've too. Are you trying to tell me that Zekrom came along and somehow zapped Pikachu's physical strength away? Meh, stranger things have happened.

No, I'm not saying that Pikachu's physical strength was taken away; only it's electricity or rather blocked it. And yes, Iron Tail or Quick Attack would have worked as well. I see the whole Thunderbolt thing as a couple of things:

1. Ash has spammed attacks before, but not as often as one might think. Just repeating Iron Tail or Quick Attack would lead to a boring battle and the writers may not want this.

2. At the end of Sinnoh, Pikachu's Thunderbolt was capable of serious damage to a lot of different types of Pokemon (ex. Rhydon back in Kanto [maybe not the greatest example but you get the idea]). That being said, it is quite powerful and Ash may have thought it would have been fine against a new trainer's starter Pokemon.

3. In addition, one reason they might have done the whole Thunderbolt attack (as well as Volt Tackle) in the first place was so that Ash could discover the side effect of Zekrom's lightning. Purely for plot purposes which is probably my best guess.

Lastly, the other thing we have to consider is that this is Pokemon, anime logic is not their strong suit and that doesn't seem to be changing. Quality in picture may be better, but stuff like this isn't what they are known for.

Guest123_x1

It's apparent Ash doesn't remember much if anything at all from his "past" journeys. Every time he travels to a new region, his skills are "reset". (The fact that he is always 10 years old should make this obvious.)

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Haha, nice question. I think he does. I mean imagine yourself going through everything he has went through. Wouldn't it strike you as strange if you forgot all that. Jeez that would irk me...

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
3. In addition, one reason they might have done the whole Thunderbolt attack (as well as Volt Tackle) in the first place was so that Ash could discover the side effect of Zekrom's lightning. Purely for plot purposes which is probably my best guess.

I think the writers missed out on a great plot arc opportunity. Whenever I was first watching that episode in Japanese, I thought that they were for once seriously rebooting the series when they removed Pikachu's electric abilities. I mean, that would've been a really cool story arc that would've been a great excuse for the reset button and it would have made for interesting battles. Imagine, Ash would have to use non-electric attacks for Pikachu throughout the Unova region- now that would be some character development. Pikachu could've developed its non-electric powers...

*Sigh*... an opportunity missed.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2011
Bloody heck, I think he's got short term memory loss that's subjected to physical memory reminders. The reason why he remembers all those legendaries is because he either gets whupped hard by them or they do something cool. He doesn't recall saving the world so many times from doom in the movies, and sometimes the connections between seasons and movies are so odd they shouldn't be made. Still, I really liked some of the movies. I bet Pikachu remembers it all. He's probably berating Ash with his Pika Pika's.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I honestly hate the fact that whenever he goes to a new region, he seems to forget his other travels. It's as if it never happened. :\

I wish he would tell off Iris, too. She keeps calling him a kid, and he's been too four different regions, and saved the world numerous times. Pisses me off. D:<

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I honestly hate the fact that whenever he goes to a new region, he seems to forget his other travels. It's as if it never happened. :\
If you think about it really deeply then it's not quite that...
I know it's long time ago but in the first episodes of AG when Satoshi was only with Haruka and Masato he remembered Takeshi and some of his past traveler companions...
I don't remember if something similar happened in DP but still isn't the fact that Satoshi did not forget everything enough? :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2017
I literally just saw a newer episode where Ash and the gang meet a photographer looking for Moltres. They battle Moltres, and the whole time Ash and the narrator say things like "Meet Moltres" or "So that's Moltres" and he doesn't even scan it with the PokeDex.

Back