• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Spoilers] Pokemon Anime Remake

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I heard a rumor that after this season the anime is getting a remake. It'll be based off the, 'I Choose You' film that's coming out soon and have Ash start over in Kanto, starting his journey all over again with Pikachu. And the remake will NOT have any connections what so ever with Generations 1 to half of 7. So, any Pokemon Ash caught on the anime in the past he won't have in this new series. The only Pokemon he'll have from past generations is his Pikachu. And none of the human canons that he met while on his journey will be in it either. So, no Misty and Brock. He's going to meet two new canons in Kanto to travel with.

I can't wait to see how this remake will turn out. Though this may only be just a rumor. It may not ever happen. But I do have a theory. I think the, 'I Choose You' film is the Prologue for the remade show. Cause the trailer shows it as if there should be more after the film. This leads me to believe a remake for the TV show is in progress.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I honestly wouldn't mind. It really depends on how they handle the rest of the movies for this generation. However, I am kinda doubting that the will start of this season, would have to wait till have this generation is over.

But as I said, most rumors tend to be false unless they are from certain people. But I wouldn't mind at all. I am loving the "I Choose You" movie from the little I have seen. They could pull a Dragon Ball Super, and completely make a show out of the movie or movies of this generation and continue on from that.

Something to take note of, we do not know if the other generation movies for Gen 7 will follow the same line. There is a lot of similarities between Gen 4 and Gen 7. This make me believe we will have 2 or 3 more movies following the same line as "I Choose You" similar to most of the Gen 4 movies.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
If it's actually happening and they'll use the new characters for the movie, I will actually riot.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I suppose a reboot/reimagining of the original season would be interesting. WIth nostalgia for the original series still so high it would make some sense as long as the I Choose You movie is successful. With Sun and Moon being such a departure from what we've seen in the previous generations, going back to its roots could be what the series needs. I wonder if this is true if the accompanying video games would be a reboot of Red and Blue/Green in the same vein.

Years
I don't agree with this rumour at all, since I am heavily against the idea of a reboot happening in Pokemon, particularly if it's going to screw up the original series everyone grew up with. For examples of a reboot done horribly, just look at both Teen Titans Go! and The Powerpuff Girls (2016) which have been massively hated by the fanbases for their original series counterparts, with the former focusing too much on slapstick comedy (along with cluttering up CN's schedule so badly) while the latter's outrage came again for more comedy over action, along with Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup's VAs being replaced.

Sorry, but if this rumour is true I will be entirely sad for the veteran fans who will be getting the middle finger pointed at them by TPCi. We don't want the fanbase of Pokemon to be ruined by a reboot.

Guest123_x1

You know, as sad as it will be to see that whatever continuity the Pokémon anime had until Sun/Moon gets thrown out after the current arc ends (not that there was that much continuity to begin with, especially since B/W), I have to wonder if this development, if true, has to do with the rumors that the main series games will be seeing a complete "reboot" following Generation VII.

This also kind of reminds me of what happened to the post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars "Extended Universe" story following Disney's acquisition of LucasFilm-all the then-official stories taking place after Episode VI became 'non-canon' as "Legends", while a whole new storyline was written to replace it, which we saw with "The Force Awakens".

Last edited:
Years
I suppose a reboot/reimagining of the original season would be interesting. WIth nostalgia for the original series still so high it would make some sense as long as the I Choose You movie is successful. With Sun and Moon being such a departure from what we've seen in the previous generations, going back to its roots could be what the series needs. I wonder if this is true if the accompanying video games would be a reboot of Red and Blue/Green in the same vein.

So you think Sun & Moon will only last one year? If it does get cancelled in favour of a complete reboot, would you blame the writers for making that stupid decision to focus on comedy and abandoning the adventure concept altogether? Face it, Pokemon will keep losing its target audience to Yo-Kai Watch if the staff don't take the best approach.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I can't say I know what the producer's plans are. The ratings that have been posted in the ratings thread for Sun and Moon aren't awful. I don't think the reboot season following the movie would start immediately after the movie is in theaters-- it would be at least a year or two. Since I can't see them shelving Sun and Moon, they would air another season or two of Sun and Moon past this one before the reboot season would begin.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
So far as the topic, who knows. It could go either way. I guess a reboot airing after the 20th Anniversary movie would make certain... alterations to that film's plotline a bit tolerable, but I don't know. If the movie does poorly, I suspect there won't be any chance at a reboot (and it doesn't help that it's likely to be their final movie anyways, considering they are actually distributing Marshadow as well as Ho-Oh and Ash's Pikachu, when the latter two would have sufficed plenty and could have just saved Marshadow for the next Pokémon film.), sort of like the fate for the Maverick Hunter X reboot series Capcom had planned (got cancelled due to poor sales of Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X).

I can't say I know what the producer's plans are. The ratings that have been posted in the ratings thread for Sun and Moon aren't awful. I don't think the reboot season following the movie would start immediately after the movie is in theaters-- it would be at least a year or two. Since I can't see them shelving Sun and Moon, they would air another season or two of Sun and Moon past this one before the reboot season would begin.

I really wouldn't call the ratings for Sun and Moon good. Better than XY or to some extent Best Wishes? Sure, but I'm pretty sure the ratings for Sun & Moon overall were lousy especially compared to even AG and DP's ratings, let alone the ratings of the Original series.

I will agree with you on one thing, though: IF they are going to do a reboot series, they're more likely to air it a couple of years after the airing of this movie (I doubt the seasons are going to last very long for Sun and Moon itself, and considering Marshadow, the only other Mythical Pokémon for Generation VII, is being distributed with this movie, I suspect that even the writers are aware of this). Since let's face it, it took a couple of years between Battle of Gods and even Resurrection F before Dragon Ball Super aired (though that bit was a bit different from Pokémon, since Dragon Ball had no actual films for it since Wrath of the Dragon and Path to Power up until Battle of Gods was made [Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return was a special, not a movie, so it doesn't count.], while with Pokémon, we had Pokémon Movies nonstop up to this point.), so there is some precedence to this.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Doubt it. Also lets be honest there is no rumor here, just blatant fan theorizing that makes no sense. There's be no reason to reboot the anime after a movie reboot.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Source? Please don't spread misinformation like this and get people's hopes up. Also, even if this were indeed true, I Choose You isn't really much of a remake as is, more like an anniversary film with rebooted elements of the Kanto region.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
It's just a rumor. I don't believe it myself. Though, my personal feelings, I'd like it remade since I feel they have failed with the series up to this point. Most annoying, Ash is an awful trainer that never wins any league he enters. At least he'd have another shot at Kanto. I don't have any proof as to what I saw before. As all I'm finding are stuff on the new movie but I do remember I saw info before the new movie was announced.

Though, in my opinion, I also don't think it'll be happening either. And whether it happens or not Pokemon is still going to be outdone by Yo-Kai Watch, unless they make Ash a better trainer. Yo-Kai Watch is just made so much better than Pokemon at this point.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Yes this is nothing more than a rumor/theory but unless it's officially denied I don't think there's a real reason to believe a reboot season like this wouldn't happen down the road. If the movie is successful I don't see why the producers wouldn't at least consider it. We don't know anything official about the next series after Sun and Moon yet.

Years
Though, in my opinion, I also don't think it'll be happening either. And whether it happens or not Pokemon is still going to be outdone by Yo-Kai Watch, unless they make Ash a better trainer. Yo-Kai Watch is just made so much better than Pokemon at this point.

Yo-Kai Watch's success is pretty much what caused the drastic changes in Sun & Moon, and it came at the cost of splitting the fanbase. Remember that the first two Yo-Kai Watch movies outperformed Pokemon's first two XY movies, with the second Yo-Kai film even beating out Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and you know that's a big achievement for such a franchise.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
If you don't have evidence, and don't even believe it yourself, why bother posting it at all?

Your logic confuses me.

~_~

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Highly improbable... the Pokemon anime serves as a commercial for the new games first and foremost. So assuming that the Anime would do a reboot is ludicrous. Not to mention that each series last roughly 3 years, around that time a new generation will start and we'll get a new series.

(EDIT)

OLM or Nintendo won't make a new series just to please the fan base... its too expensive and time consuming too produce a 150+ episode anime and they'd rather make the new series advertising the new generation rather than back tracking to please the nostalgic western demographic. It's more likely we'll get something similar to the new movie Pokemon: I Chose You or a couple of OVA's than having a series dedicated to a past (And rather obsolete) generation.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
This debate wouldn't even exist in the first place if they had just done what they should've done (and, from what I've read, had originally planned to do) and retired Ash & Co. after Johto.

In the games, Hoenn explicitly went out of its way to be a hard reset from Kanto/Johto, and the same has pretty much been true for every other following region. It never made sense to continue forcing Ash and the TRio into regions they had no relevance in, and this practice has ensured that stories in the anime will never see any kind of continuity or closure.

Back