• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen My little rant

JoanXXX

I swear I am not a weeaboo
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
After only recently getting a 2ds, last Christmas I believe. I asked for Pokemon Sun and Moon, I was excited by getting a new game, as my most recent Pokemon game being White 2, which I have spent about 700 hours in that game alone. Needless to say my hopes were high. However, after a promising start, it quickly fell flat.

Characters

They are all awful. Every character was so predictable and boring. They all act so awkward too, it's like they are trying to make an anime instead of a Pokemon game, seriously, who runs away from the person they are talking to, mid-conversation, then starts waving to them or jumping on the spot, and then continuing the conversation. It really pulls you out of the world they are "trying" to create. You don't think "Oh I hope I can help this girl with her mummy issues", instead you think "Oh, well I know what's going happen to these two characters at the end, one of whom I control, because it is so unbelievably obvious, I'm only here to get the legendary Pokemon.".

Map

The route's are ridiculously short, which makes each journey to another city seem like a small step instead of an achievement. I loved making my way to different cities in Black and White, it was like an adventure, the routes could be difficult, but it would pay off at the end when I get to see new and unique cities. Sun and Moon had none of that, getting to a new city was a piece of cake, a bland and boring cake.

Story

All I can say is that this isn't going to be difficult to adapt into an anime, just slap in Ash and call it a day. It plays like a terribly predictable anime, and it was an absolute bore.

Team Skull

Team Skull were laughable, in contrast to my experience with Team Plasma before this team just seemed to be a joke, except it wasn't a funny one. They were a major disappointment, they were just generic anime villains, this whole game is just a generic anime.

Playing with people's nostalgia

This part really makes me angry. They obviously thought that if they slapped in characters from older games, it would make this game feel even more "epic" as all your favourite characters are there. Except, what do they do when a remotely interesting character like Colress comes along? They must add him in, as he is a fan favourite, but he is far too "dark" and "mysterious" for Sun and Moon's cast of predictable and generic characters. Let's just make him give you an TM, then make him say that #he now believes that the source of a Pok?mon's true power is its bond with its Trainer# (got bit in between # from https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Colress#In_the_games) , which is nothing like him, and then he just buggers off.
Then there is Grimsley, my favourite elite four member. I didn't even know it was him in Sun and Moon,
I legitimately did not recognise him for the whole game. (I had forgotten Grimsley's name) They changed a once elite 4 member to some old man who creeps out on the beach. It angers me that they feel they need to mess with every character there is.

Conclusion

well not really a conclusion as I didn't write about the positives, but there isn't much to write on that front

This game has made my view on the Pokemon series sour, it plays out like a generic anime, tries to attract more people by putting older characters in, destroying the characters we loved in the process and the awkward boring characters.

It disheartens me that this seems to be the way Pokemon is heading, and I hope this can change. Please feel free to write your views on this game, I want to see other people's opinions on this.

-After thought topics-

Post game Content

Compared with B and W, Sun and Moon has barely any extra content after you have beaten the main game. I have still yet to finish everything available in Pokemon Black and White. Other than the battle place, I genuinely have nothing else to do in Sun and Moon. Oh, other than taking photos and watching the generic, repetitive replies flood in.

Last edited:

Dusk Mane Koopa

"What's the matter, scared?"
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
More power to you. I quite enjoy the story and characters, and especially the array of new Pok?mon. (Actually, I think that Unova's biggest flaw is how small it is, with just 10 routes before the postgame (not to mention the final boss being at level 54).) As for the returning characters-- while I do believe Colress had little reason to be there, Grimsley was a fun addition, and I love what they did with him. Also, after six mainstay evil teams, Team Skull is a nice change of pace-- the funny guys, the jokes in comparison to the greater scope villains.

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
More power to you. I quite enjoy the story and characters, and especially the array of new Pok?mon. (Actually, I think that Unova's biggest flaw is how small it is, with just 10 routes before the postgame (not to mention the final boss being at level 54).) As for the returning characters-- while I do believe Colress had little reason to be there, Grimsley was a fun addition, and I love what they did with him. Also, after six mainstay evil teams, Team Skull is a nice change of pace-- the funny guys, the jokes in comparison to the greater scope villains.

I found Unova to be quite big and full of content, However, I beat the game a few years ago, and I had no knowledge of how types worked against each other, other than fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire. So I guess that my lack of experience and knowledge made the game take longer for me. Not to mention that I had no idea pc's stored Pokemon and I thought the first 6 you caught were the only six you were allowed to use. So i restarted the games a lot because I wasn't happy with my team, which wasted a lot of time. Yeah, I was pretty bad at pokemon. This does remind me of something I will add on to the main post.

Years
Sad to hear you were not satisfied with this generation, but I'm certain all this "predictable" stuff you are mentioning is because Game Freak is trying to make Pokemon games cater more towards mass audiences (which was one of the factors on why Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee was made), and unfortunately some people who are very young are new to Pokemon, hence why all these tutorials were peppered through the early stages of S/M.

Years
Shame you didn't enjoy this generation. I understand a lot of your concerns -- Lillie in particular -- and how they might've hampered your overall enjoyment. SM/USUM isn't for everyone; it's very story-focused and being story-focused there will be characters thrown in the spotlight that people may or may not like.

That said, I'm pretty surprised that you seemed disappointed with Team Skull, considering that they're actually one of the more liked aspects of this generation. Team Skull, unlike other villains from previous Pokemon games, don't really take themselves seriously. I'd even go so far as to say that they're kind of a parody evil team considering they so strongly contrast the typical evil team vibe that present in every single generation previously, which is something I appreciated. Instead of evil scientists or radical individuals looking to take over the world or harm it in some way, you're just dealing with an everyday group of thugs, which, to me, is a breath of fresh air.

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
Shame you didn't enjoy this generation. I understand a lot of your concerns -- Lillie in particular -- and how they might've hampered your overall enjoyment. SM/USUM isn't for everyone; it's very story-focused and being story-focused there will be characters thrown in the spotlight that people may or may not like.

That said, I'm pretty surprised that you seemed disappointed with Team Skull, considering that they're actually one of the more liked aspects of this generation. Team Skull, unlike other villains from previous Pokemon games, don't really take themselves seriously. I'd even go so far as to say that they're kind of a parody evil team considering they so strongly contrast the typical evil team vibe that present in every single generation previously, which is something I appreciated. Instead of evil scientists or radical individuals looking to take over the world or harm it in some way, you're just dealing with an everyday group of thugs, which, to me, is a breath of fresh air.

That's the thing, they just felt like a bunch of thugs, so when you were beating them, it didn't feel like you were taking on a massive team, it just felt like thugs. So when I thought the boss, I didn't feel "oh shit, this is the guy I've been working up to!" It felt like just another thug, there was no excitement for me.

It's hard to describe, everything just felt so anticlimactic, everything was so obvious, for example, if they hadn't of shown the mother of Lillie grinning like a madman near the beginning, the story might have been a bit more interesting, with a twist at the end.

Every character that was good was just a cut and paste version of each other, all acting the same. They all just felt so artificial, it's like the game keeps reminding you that you are just playing a game, not in one.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I found Sun and Moon to be enjoyable, although it did lack that adventurous, feel-good Pokémon vibe that's present in the 2D games. :P Perhaps if there weren't so many cut scenes, I would have been more inclined to proceed throughout the game at a steady pace, instead of taking constant breaks. ^ ^

And as for Team Skull... well, I felt they were fitting for Alola. A powerful organisation bent on destroying the world wouldn't have been. xD

Years
That's the thing, they just felt like a bunch of thugs, so when you were beating them, it didn't feel like you were taking on a massive team, it just felt like thugs. So when I thought the boss, I didn't feel "oh shit, this is the guy I've been working up to!" It felt like just another thug, there was no excitement for me.

It's hard to describe, everything just felt so anticlimactic, everything was so obvious, for example, if they hadn't of shown the mother of Lillie grinning like a madman near the beginning, the story might have been a bit more interesting, with a twist at the end.

Every character that was good was just a cut and paste version of each other, all acting the same. They all just felt so artificial, it's like the game keeps reminding you that you are just playing a game, not in one.

I agree that things were made a little too obvious, especially at the beginning of the game where you see Lillie running away from Team Aether. Kind of gave the whole thing away that Team Aether is the main evil team of the game.

Also in regards to Team Skull... as I said, they're more or less (how I see it anyway) a parody evil team, they aren't too serious like Aether or even previous evil teams. Personally, I don't see it a bad thing to change things up a bit with villainous teams that aren't really the norm; traditional evil teams have become a bore anyway. But that's just me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
SM definitely focuses way too much on Lillie, which in turn hampers the development of other characters, especially Hau. A lot of the region feels unfinished, too, with so many empty plots of land, and the issue of trials without captains and captains without trials. I also agree that the routes feel short and very simple to get through. They are visually impressive but the actual level design feels weak.

Your point about Colress is exactly why I'm glad they didn't choose N as one of the "obligatory cameo characters" for this game. I'd hate for them to add in even more plot-important characters only to have them sit around worthlessly. It's the same issue people had with Looker in ORAS: normally he exists to add narrative depth but to have him appear with amnesia and have that go nowhere is just insulting; anyone else could have given you the Audinite and it wouldn't have made a difference, so why disrespect Looker like that? I do wish Colress and Grimsley had some more involvement, or at least gave you a TM more appropriate to his character (like a Steel-Type attack). Colress even appears near an Aether trailer but shows no interest in them, he just says "Alola is such a great region!"

A lot of characters say stuff like that, actually. "Alola is better than a box of electronics" is something my Rotom says a lot. Random NPCs sing Alola's praises, too. It's like they're treating you like a tourist, trying to convince you to love the region, but it's annoying and your character moved there so there's no need to convince them of anything.

I would have liked Team Skull if they served a purpose. Sure they were amusing, but when the game shows Aether as the main bad guys, chasing Lillie around, before the game even starts, well, we all know they're the Big Bads. Team Skull segments are just padding. You also meet Guzma very late into the game, which is really bizarre. They tried to give him depth by having him say he and Kukui couldn't become Trial Captains but that never goes anywhere afterwards.

SM has a lot of missed opportunities, too much focus on Lillie and Lillie alone, and certain elements that just feel unfinished.

Back