• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: CheapScript - DS Generation scripting made easier!

Years
CheapScript

Hey all, given the lack of proper scripting support in Generation 5, I created a macro system for event scripting in the DS generation of Pokémon games.
It can be found here.

Note: this only supports Black 2 and White 2 at the moment, and not all script commands from those games are in.

Requirements
To set it up, you will need:

Utilizing it:
  • To start, make sure this is included at the top of your file:
    Code:
    .include "commands.s"
    .include "movements.s"

• Once you do that, make a label for the script you are writing:
    Code:
    Example:
    	# script goes here

• Then, add a new label at the top, and add pointers to your script like so:
    Code:
    scripts:
         script <script label>

• Then, compile it using the Python script:
    Code:
    python CheapScript.py <script> <output directory>
  • Once you do all of that, add the script to your game by finding the corresponding script NARC (in B2W2, it is a0/5/6), and replacing the script container that you want to (in SDSME, you can find a list of them, under the "script" section in the Map Headers tab).
  • Profit!
An example of a script in action can be seen here:

If you are lost, there is an example script in the scripts folder which you can follow. I will make a more comprehensive tutorial later on.

Happy scripting!

Last edited:
Years
I have made significant updates to this tool. It can now decompile scripts from the games to some extent. There are instructions on how to decompile the scripts on the GitHub page.
I am still looking forward to making tutorials for this, however, I have not seen much interest in Generation 5 hacking. Perhaps a tutorial could kick things off.

Years
Nice man. I've always felt like script editing is what's held hacking the DS games back. What's the point in changing the map, Pokemon etc if the story is the same. I reckon if there was an actual script editor for any of the Gen 5 games, with good examples of that working (The Pokemon Red remake in Heart Gold caused quite a stir, but was limited by scripting tools available), then things would kick off for DS game hacking.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
Hello, I noticed the program is archived on github. Is there no way of downloading? I'd love to try it since scripting in BW/BW2 is such a hassle with all the hex editing...

Back