• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen First Game Before Gen 5

Years
Hey all,

For background: I've only really played White and White 2 before, those were my first Pokemon games as a pre-teen/teen (10-13 I think were kind of the ages). I've played a couple of the other games on emulators before but it really isn't the same experience and I barely played them anyways.

I just finished Sun and in the excitement I decided to impulse buy Pokemon Yellow for Virtual Console, looking for a fresh new experience immediately.

For someone who has only played these newer titles, do you have any suggestions for how to best experience Pokemon Yellow, or any comments on the games in general? I've also not really watched much of the anime so I'm thinking maybe that's something I should check out.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Pikachu will be your starter pokemon. You will also get Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle early in the game. Don't just level up Pikachu because you will be battling Giovanni two times who uses ground type pokemon and you should also level up Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle together with Pikachu.

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
You don't get any of the starters before Brock, so I would suggest getting a Nidoran or training a Butterfree.

You will find these games VERY basic compared to the Gen's you started on but don't let that put you off, these are the classics!

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I would also recommend finding an abra in the grasses above Cerulean city! It doesn't do much at first, but having a kadabra in Yellow can be game-breaking if you want a serious sweeper in generation one. (Alternatively, if you want more of a challenge, just wait until the Mewtwo challenge post-game.)

The male nidoran is, however, a favorite for being a generation one tank. I'd recommend keeping it around.

Back