• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon XG (First Ever Pokemon XD hack)

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Which ROM base you used man?

There are no screenshots because there isn't really anything special to show. I'll see if I can put them up sometime when I finally get off pokemon GO!

The ROM base is Pokemon XD:Gale of Darkness on Gamecube

Reactions: Del
Years
Is there a problem with the latest patch, or is it me being incredibly unlucky? I have already tried to patch the game with 3 different ISO from different sites using NUPS and I always get the same message error:

"Error opening file".

I already read it doesn't work but I tried Tsukoyomi with the same results. Can someone confirm that the latest patch is working? I am tired of downloading isos and really willing to try this game!

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Is there a problem with the latest patch, or is it me being incredibly unlucky? I have already tried to patch the game with 3 different ISO from different sites using NUPS and I always get the same message error:

"Error opening file".

I already read it doesn't work but I tried Tsukoyomi with the same results. Can someone confirm that the latest patch is working? I am tired of downloading isos and really willing to try this game!

The patch has worked for other people. A few questions. Are you sure you got the NTSC (US) version of the ISO? Also are you using NUPS on Mac or windows? Did you unzip the patch? the patch file should have a .ups extension. Did you unzip the ISO? Did you modify the ISO in any way like scrubbing the trash bytes to reduce the size?

Years
The patch has worked for other people. A few questions. Are you sure you got the NTSC (US) version of the ISO? Also are you using NUPS on Mac or windows? Did you unzip the patch? the patch file should have a .ups extension. Did you unzip the ISO? Did you modify the ISO in any way like scrubbing the trash bytes to reduce the size?

Yes yes I did! I have used NUPS in the past with gba games, even tried it with a GBA one to see if my NUPS still worked and it went well. The iso file I always looked for was Pokemon XD USA NTSC, and yes I was trying to patch the .iso, not the .rar or .zip file. I am using NUPS in Windows by the way. I did nothing to the iso, I just uncompressed it, or just used that extract here button when the game came in a few parts. It's odd!

May I ask the size of the iso file you use to create the patch?

Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Yes yes I did! I have used NUPS in the past with gba games, even tried it with a GBA one to see if my NUPS still worked and it went well. The iso file I always looked for was Pokemon XD USA NTSC, and yes I was trying to patch the .iso, not the .rar or .zip file. I am using NUPS in Windows by the way. I did nothing to the iso, I just uncompressed it, or just used that extract here button when the game came in a few parts. It's odd!

May I ask the size of the iso file you use to create the patch?

Thanks for the answer!

I'll look that up for you shortly. Just to make absolutely sure, since you didn't mention it and since it fits the "error opening file" message, did you unzip the ups patch as well? BTW the ISO I used was literally the first one that popped up when I did a Google search to make it as easy as possible to find.

Years
I'll look that up for you shortly. Just to make absolutely sure, since you didn't mention it and since it fits the "error opening file" message, did you unzip the ups patch as well? BTW the ISO I used was literally the first one that popped up when I did a Google search to make it as easy as possible to find.

Yes I did, in fact I think the UPS patch cannot be opened if it is not uncompressed... I have already downloaded the first 4 ones that appeared in google. Can there be a problem with my computer? Windows 7 32 bits version... I don't know, I had never had problems patching games, with NUPS, Tsukuyomi, LIPS... Thanks for looking into it! Amazing job hacking my favourite Pokémon game of all time, a very underrated one in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Yes I did, in fact I think the UPS patch cannot be opened if it is not uncompressed... I have already downloaded the first 4 ones that appeared in google. Can there be a problem with my computer? Windows 7 32 bits version... I don't know, I had never had problems patching games, with NUPS, Tsukuyomi, LIPS... Thanks for looking into it! Amazing job hacking my favourite Pokémon game of all time, a very underrated one in my opinion.

Well it sounds like you've done everything properly. That's really peculiar. It could be a problem with my patching program. The patch doesn't work with tsukuyomi as you know so it's clearly got something slightly strange about it. I'll see if I can get something a bit better later on and make a new patch. Will get that done for tomorrow. Sorry about that 🙈.

Years
Lol it worked in the other computer there is at home, also Windows 7 but 64 bits, with the exact same files. This was very odd, what a relief reading patching was successful!

I think NUPS had trouble opening the actual iso file, I didn't post the whole error message last time:

"Error opening file
(iso file path)"

But if my computer had trouble running an ups patcher, I am not very optimistic with Dolphin emulator...

Thanks for the help!

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Lol it worked in the other computer there is at home, also Windows 7 but 64 bits, with the exact same files. This was very odd, what a relief reading patching was successful!

I think NUPS had trouble opening the actual iso file, I didn't post the whole error message last time:

"Error opening file
(iso file path)"

But if my computer had trouble running an ups patcher, I am not very optimistic with Dolphin emulator...

Thanks for the help!

Ah that's fantastic news! Glad you got it working in the end. I hope you enjoy it 🙌🏾👏🏾

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
Years
You might want to try xdelta for the patch, I know the Skies of Arcadia Legends hack that recently came out uses xdelta.

Years
So, as I suspected, the game is almost unplayable in my computer with Dolphin... It lags so much it's not even funny, sadly.

I have been looking for alternatives, and well, I have an old Wii (Pal region Wii), and read good things about an emulator called Nintendon't... Do you run this game in that emulator? Is it very hard to implement in a Wii console? (I also have the Wii U console but I am not taking risks with that...)

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
So, as I suspected, the game is almost unplayable in my computer with Dolphin... It lags so much it's not even funny, sadly.

I have been looking for alternatives, and well, I have an old Wii (Pal region Wii), and read good things about an emulator called Nintendon't... Do you run this game in that emulator? Is it very hard to implement in a Wii console? (I also have the Wii U console but I am not taking risks with that...)

Yeah I use nintendon't and it's really good. It was really easy to set up as well. I play on wii u (PAL as well). You can set it up on your wii if you're worried but it's the exact same process either way. Just look for a tutorial on youtube. You first need to install the homebrew channel.

Years
A hack of XD? I never thought I would see this... Incredible. Now I just need a stronger computer to play this. Regardless, I'll be following this from now on.

Back