Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old March 11th, 2018 (1:23 PM).

Nature: Bold
    First off, take a look at the video provided: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_IBSuXIoo

Now that's out of the way, what's your stance on video game violence as a whole? Now, it's true that games can get rather violent in places but so does TV shows and movies. In fact, violence just for the sake of it appears to be a very rare once you think about it.

Let's talk about guns just to name one example. Generally, when you use guns in a video game, more often than not you're playing as someone who would be expected to tote guns around in first place such as soldiers and the like. On the other side of the spectrum, you get Hatred whose protagonist is clearly a psychopath who wouldn't be allowed near guns in first place. And since said game was developed by a Polish studio, it can be seen as a cautionary message.
    Old March 11th, 2018 (1:56 PM).
    Say it with me (Vray-gun)

Without something to back up the "violent videogames inspire violence" then it honestly remains what is what back when it was brought up earlier. A stupid notion that doesn't have any meat to it other than peeps holding it over.

Until some ample evidence of a trend in this behaviour being linked to games is found I fail to see this coming to fruition.

“I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
      Old March 11th, 2018 (2:45 PM). Edited March 11th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
      VLONE coming soon

Nature: Relaxed
        It's just a game.
        It's bad parenting and broken families more than anything really.
        Also based off being able to perceive the difference between reality and fiction.
        I can't connect any links to it either.
        Old March 11th, 2018 (2:55 PM).

I think it's more than just bad parenting and broken families, but yeah there isn't a distinct connection other than "two peeps played call of duty and killed peeps on time."

“I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
          Old March 11th, 2018 (3:02 PM). Edited March 11th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
          VLONE coming soon

I'm sure there's more to it than that. But a broken family could initially be the root of the problem to a broken individual leading to losing their self and never turning back. Even most insane people (mentally) know they can't kill someone with guns or any weapon because it happened in a game. They may be really far out there but I can't see video games connecting a trigger. Games are simply for ones entertainment.

But being traumatized, and something triggering that outside of video games that reminded them of their past. Yes, I could see that.
            Old March 11th, 2018 (11:24 PM). Edited March 11th, 2018 by Psychic.
            Really and truly

Nature: Bold
            This has been studied extensively, and video games, films, and rock music do not magically make people more violent. But boy is it handy to bring it up every time people start talking about gun violence as a distraction so we don't focus on the issue at hand and discuss reasonable gun laws!

All you have to do is repeat the same myths once a decade with a new coat of paint. Works every time.

~Psychic

Click to check out my Pokémon food blog!

Banner by Satomine Night
            Old March 12th, 2018 (6:52 AM).

Yeah, sadly these types of re-runs have been happening more than we give the concept credit. I mean, some still persist even after being shown false, or not nearly to the extent of the claim.

Old March 12th, 2018 (1:34 PM).
              VLONE coming soon

People will try to tie gun violence to anything they possibly can even if it's something as ludicrous as this
                Old March 13th, 2018 (6:03 PM).
                Flying High

Nature: Brave
                Ughhhh. This has already been disproven by multiple studies. It's a closed book.

It's only being brought up as a diversionary tactic to trick those who don't know it's already been solved.
                Old March 16th, 2018 (1:24 AM).
                Lord

I still remember many years ago, when the whole discussion arose and the politicians tried to come up with the most ludicrous ideas to make it totally apparent that a game had violence in it. They actually succeeded partially. That is, if you can call "ruining game covers forever" a success.
                Old May 10th, 2018 (1:32 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by redhue View Post
                  Debates like these still exist? lol.

I don't get why video games are being singled out for violence when it's just another medium to project it like every other media. Like the majority says, we have ratings to assess such.
                  Low hanging fruit. It’s easier to blame an outside thing like a game than admit that some parents suck at child rearing. Really easy when some of the games blamed are very gory.
                  Old May 13th, 2018 (7:22 AM).
                  thank u next bitch

Nature: Sassy
                  It seems like it's really hard for people to label bad parenting or a terrible life as the cause of real-world violence. People tend to fall back on either "it was x thing" or "they were insane!!1!" I honestly think it's because addressing the conditions that would compel a person to enact large-scale or even small-scale violence forces people to address complex problems with our society and how it affects individuals, and I don't think people really want to do that because they might have to admit even a tiny amount of responsibility if they contributed to an aspect of society that might have encouraged someone to act violently.
                  Old May 13th, 2018 (7:29 AM).
                  Banned

Nature: Hasty
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Trev View Post
                  It seems like it's really hard for people to label bad parenting or a terrible life as the cause of real-world violence. People tend to fall back on either "it was x thing" or "they were insane!!1!" I honestly think it's because addressing the conditions that would compel a person to enact large-scale or even small-scale violence forces people to address complex problems with our society and how it affects individuals, and I don't think people really want to do that because they might have to admit even a tiny amount of responsibility if they contributed to an aspect of society that might have encouraged someone to act violently.
                  Adding to the fact that video games are extremely common now, so it makes them an easier scapegoat.

For an example, they later search the dorm room of a student who shot a few other students. They find a copy of GTA V, despite the fact that game would be in at least 50% of all students' rooms, on a bad day, they go "AH HA, IT WAS THIS GAME THAT CAUSED IT!" And disregard the real factors.

To me that's like blaming a tube of toothpaste (that everyone else also has) on someone's behavior.
                  Old June 9th, 2018 (7:22 PM).

Nature: Serious
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BronzeHeart92 View Post
                    First off, take a look at the video provided: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_IBSuXIoo

Now that's out of the way, what's your stance on video game violence as a whole? Now, it's true that games can get rather violent in places but so does TV shows and movies. In fact, violence just for the sake of it appears to be a very rare once you think about it.

Let's talk about guns just to name one example. Generally, when you use guns in a video game, more often than not you're playing as someone who would be expected to tote guns around in first place such as soldiers and the like. On the other side of the spectrum, you get Hatred whose protagonist is clearly a psychopath who wouldn't be allowed near guns in first place. And since said game was developed by a Polish studio, it can be seen as a cautionary message.
                    I take the free market stance on this one. Just require Video Game companies to label their products properly, and let the consumers decide what they want. If X product with lots of violence does well, then clear there were consumers that want it. However, if it doesn't do well, then video game companies will be less likely to produce said product.
                    Old June 15th, 2018 (9:09 PM). Edited June 16th, 2018 by twocows.
                    Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
                    I strongly disagree with Trump on this and I suspect many other people do as well, including people from all different political backgrounds.

This is a tired argument that I'm honestly sick of hearing. It's the umpteenth iteration of an ages old response to anything new and scary. You saw this crap decades ago with "the rock music" being the cause of all society's ills and the ancient cavemen probably believed "the stick flame" was an affront to the gods or something. It's a dumb argument with no basis in reality (which is made abundantly clear by the wealth of data available) and it only comes up because it's a convenient argument for the people making it: something they're afraid of, don't understand, and probably actively dislike gets to be the cause of some much more severe problem. Win-win for them, truth be damned.

Dumb arguments like this do nothing but derail more reasonable discussion and investigation into the causes of and possible solutions to issues like this. If we didn't have to keep talking about things that are obviously nonsense, we could be that much closer to preventing it from happening again, and this is coming from a very strong Second Amendment supporter. I'd be perfectly happy if I never had to hear this stale line of reasoning again for the rest of my life.

But then I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
                    Old June 16th, 2018 (8:03 AM).
                    take me ☆ take you

Nature: Modest
                      If violence in video games was actually a problem there would be higher rates of crime in the target ages, but I believe it has actually gone down, I can find sources later when I have my computer.

Adults just believe that it is a problem because they also forget that with mainstream media we now are told every single tragedy and large act of violence almost immediately and we can access this information easily. Because these issues are now being reported on and spread due to technology, it SEEMS to them like violence is increasing, because they never used to hear about shootings and such all the time but in reality they were still happening but the info didn’t travel as fast or wide.

ORAS/XYBW

Quick Reply