• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Random topic: Favourite RP genre's and least favourite RP genres

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
The title is already very self-explanatory but I'd like to know what is everyone's favourite Roleplay genre and what their least favourite is <3 (Least favourite doesn't necessarily mean you dislike or hate them)

As a bonus question: What turns you off during an RP? A character going completely out of character? The GM suddenly changing the story? etc. You may give examples but if you don't want to go into details then that's completely fine!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Genre... I suppose I prefer magical fantasy, and most dislike political drama or dark n gritty stuff. That's to play in, not to read. I don't mind reading whatever. Well actually I would not read amateur smut roleplays cause that's uhhhh weird. Not into romance as the main plot, either, though Alvey's subversion of the idea in Artisa sounded cool and I would read it.

I think when it comes to being turned off of an RP... there could be many things that happen, but since I am a worldbuilder and logical person and researcher at heart, it bugs me to death when the world doesn't make sense or contradicts its own rules over time. There's a reason I try to keep a comprehensive world document for HS1! In that same vein, characters suddenly going OOC bothers me as well. But I'm often forgiving on that just because by its nature an RP has many different players at many different levels of attentiveness and skill. And I try my best to be around to talk with people about their characters so that they don't end up going completely off the wall. I also dislike when people drop any time after our characters start being friends and incorporating each other into their stories. It feels weird to just... shelve them after that. But alas, such is RP!

Years
I honestly don't have a favourite genre. I guess at a stretch you could say fantasy, but I'm pretty open-minded about RP stuff as long as we're not getting into that kind of RP which is a nope. These days I tend to judge more on the quality of an OP and if the individual premise/synopsis grabs me more than on genre.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I guess I prefer fantasy RPs - although that's a pretty broad blanket. I'm still waiting on a proper space opera RP to get out of the introductory phases and then I'd have to say that would be my favorite genre. There's not really a genre I wouldn't like to get into. I used to not really be into writing romance, but I think that's just because I was conscious of my inability to write romantic sub/plots which still hasn't gotten better since I haven't put any practice in it.

I am usually the biggest thing that puts me off during an RP. It's not usually something that the GM or other players do, but things I cause like writing myself into a corner, or forcing an event or interaction that I actually loathe the idea of writing out for one reason or another.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
1. pokeyman jurneys
I love this. I'll always love well executed journey RPs. It doesn't matter that all some die eventually; the journey is usually super enjoyable for as long as it lasts. I'm apparently particularly fond of GMing these myself and controlling the way the story unfolds and how "missions/events" are handled.

2. S u p e r p o w e r s
Ever since Atlantis, I guess I just can't resist a good superhero/powers RP in a modern setting. There's so many fascinating to explore there, and the Atlantis iterations in particular did it so well in regards to what remains of our humanity when we gain supernatural powers etc. Lovely.

Least: sadly, medieval type fantasy stuff. I have trouble orienting myself in entirely original worlds made by a GM, it seems, and the unmodern world at large doesn't interest me very much, I believe - I'd probably sooner join a RP set in an original sci-fi world.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
I haven't tried tons of genres and really, there are so many possibilities with worldbuilding and mechanics that I might never be able to get a proper overview on this, but so far I've really enjoyed your typical Pokémon Journey roleplays! There are just tons of possibilities for both the players, who can adjust teams and storylines, and hosts, who can really give their own spin on this whole Pokémon phenomenon! All while being somewhat reassuring, since it usually boils down to something you're familiar with.
Really though... anything with magic, superpowers, sci-fi, or basically a big and interesting twist in the setting is interesting. It makes for an engaging world that you want to explore more as you move on with the story and keeps giving you more and more ways to develop your character.
I'm not sure if I even have a least favorite roleplay genre but by what I said before, I have to mention... slice-of-life stuff. Or basically anything where the story is not as important and it's hard to find that sweet moment of inspiration. I still wouldn't be able to say more than this though, I don't have enough experiences with enough roleplays to know!

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
My favourite genre, based on the RPs I'm most involved in, would have to be a fusion of Fantasy and Romance. I love to use RP as a medium to flesh out backstories and characters, and I'm an absolute sucker for a bit of cheesy romance as well, to the point where I'm notoriously known in my RP circles to be involved in lots of 'crack ships' and make them work.

Don't think there's usually another genre that I'm not willing to try, but I can't stand smut. Didn't even begin to consider it before I met lots of...interesting people to thankfully dissuade me. What I can't stand even more though is being the only person to actually put any effort into an RP. I have lots of horror stories that range from [partner(s) missing very obvious cues to move the story forward and completely derail the thing altogether] to [constantly putting in paragraphs of work to get a two sentence reply]. This was in my 'golden days' though, and currently I seldom RP full stop outside a handful of wonderful people who love to make stories and won't treat others as a pack yak.

Back