• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modest or Timid Nature for Dragapult?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 27, 2020
I recently asked on Pokémon Database if a modest or timid nature for Choice Specs Dragapult was generally better in competitive single battles in Sw/Sh and gen 8 OU singles in Showdown. I received one answer in favor of timid and another in favor of modest. Here is the reasoning why both natures are good for Specs Dragapult.

Timid:
• Sp. Attack is already boosted by Choice Specs
• Multiple mons can outspeed and OHKO Modest Dragapult, but not Timid Dragapult
• SpA Stat with 252 EVs: 299 x 1.5 = 449 SpA with choice specs
• Spe stat with 252 EVs: 421

Modest:
• Dragapult already has an insane speed stat
• Modest nature allows it to make up for its lower SpA stat than its Atk stat
• SpA stat with 252 EVs: 328 x 1.5 = 492 SpA with choice specs
• Spe stat with 252 EVs: 383

I should mention that I do run a sticky web team, so Modest seems like it would be the obvious choice. However, my sticky web setter (shuckle) can be KO'd by multi-hit attacks before it can set it and sticky web can be removed by Defog and rapid spin users. Here is my Dragapult's information:

Dragapult @ Choice specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Modest/Timid (Still unsure)
Ev Spread: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
IVs: All 31
• Draco meteor
• Shadow ball (Go-to move)
• Fire blast
• Thunderbolt

So my question is this: Is there a noticeable difference between a 449 SpA stat for Dragapult (Timid) and a 492 SpA stat (Modest) or would both usually be able to OHKO with Specs + STAB Shadow Ball (excluding dark and normal types)? This will decide for me which nature is better.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there! This section is for introducing yourself to the community. If you want help with competitive battling, you'll want to check our competitive section.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Hey there and welcome to the community! This thread is better suited over in the competitive section of the community, so I'll move it there. If you want to introduce yourself to the community, you're free to create another thread!

Years
Personally, I think I'd go for the Modest option since Dragapult already outspeeds just about everything. The only reason I can think of to run Timid is to outspeed Adamant or Modest Zeraora, but you're still going to be slower than the Timid/Jolly variants.

Back