The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development
Discussion TCG in RPG Maker

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

View Poll Results: Would you like to see this project realised and, if so, which version of RPG Maker should it use?
Yes, and RPG Maker MV 7 29.17%
Yes, and RPG Maker VX Ace 1 4.17%
Yes, and RPG Maker XP 12 50.00%
No, go away 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27th, 2017 (9:14 AM). Edited May 27th, 2017 by Epidal.
Professional Pokémon Poacher

Nature: Bold
    I'm planning on creating a set of scripts and supporting tools to allow people to create Pokémon TCG games with RPG Maker (think Pokémon Essentials, but for emulating Pokémon Card GB instead of the main series).
    I'd like to get the community's opinion on which version of RPG Maker to choose. I've been looking at the latest one (RPG Maker MV), but I know a lot of people here may not have much experience with it, or may prefer the older versions.
    I would also like to gauge the general interest in a project like this, and see how many people would be willing to contribute to the project. I'd like to focus on the programming side of things myself, as creating art assets would take up too much of my time (especially if I choose to use RMMV as it uses a non-standard tile size). I'm also not that talented when it comes to pixel art.
    If there's enough interest, I'll start working on the core scripts and throw the project up on GitHub.

EDIT: Please, if you vote, I would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to post a reply explaining your reasoning behind your vote. Just voting "no" and leaving no actual input doesn't help, and having real responses would help weed out any "troll" votes.
    Looking for quality goods that you can't find at your local Poké Mart? Send a message to [email protected], or talk to a representative in the alley behind most Poké Centers in the Kanto and Johto regions (coming soon to Alola!)
    Old May 27th, 2017 (11:09 AM).
    Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
      RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way. The only reason you see people here stick with XP is because it's the only one that supports essentials.

Also there's the obvious bonus of being able to play your game on mobile devices as well. Which imo, the mobility of the original Gameboy TCG title was one of its biggest assets.

Demo coming August 20!
      Old May 27th, 2017 (2:34 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
        RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way. The only reason you see people here stick with XP is because it's the only one that supports essentials.

Also there's the obvious bonus of being able to play your game on mobile devices as well. Which imo, the mobility of the original Gameboy TCG title was one of its biggest assets.
        This was my own opinion, too. I like how open the RMMV engine is due to the fact that it runs on node.js, and that the team decided to open-source their efforts on said engine. I also much prefer JS over RGSS. I wasn't sure, however, how the community felt about the newest RPG Maker, which is why I asked. There's also the issue of cost; the earlier versions are cheaper, which makes them accessible to more people. Although, I suppose if someone was determined enough to use the software and NOT pay for it, they'd find a cracked version... Anyway, thanks for your input.
        Looking for quality goods that you can't find at your local Poké Mart? Send a message to [email protected], or talk to a representative in the alley behind most Poké Centers in the Kanto and Johto regions (coming soon to Alola!)
        Old May 30th, 2017 (4:14 AM).

I'd like to get more feedback on this. Where's a good place to ask? Are there any subreddits with a reasonable amount of traffic dedicated to this kind of thing?
          Old May 30th, 2017 (6:21 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Epidal View Post
          I'd like to get more feedback on this. Where's a good place to ask? Are there any subreddits with a reasonable amount of traffic dedicated to this kind of thing?
          While I'm not sure where you'd find someone willing to make the game's graphical assets, I do know that our own Pokémon Trading Card Game section has a few people who might be interested in helping with card design for any non-official cards you'd add as well as for interpretation of any areas where the rules aren't clear on how a situation would play out.

I also know Maruno was working on a project like this a couple years ago before Pokémon Essentials started taking up quite a bit more of his time.
          Old June 10th, 2017 (6:24 AM).
          Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
            RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way.
            No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs. And I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
            I also know Maruno was working on a project like this a couple years ago before Pokémon Essentials started taking up quite a bit more of his time.
            Here.
            Old June 10th, 2017 (1:39 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by FL View Post
              No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs.
              They seem to be addressing performance issues and just generally improving the core scripts on github: github.com/rpgtkoolmv/corescript

Quote:
              I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript
              They're both not really great languages, but JS running on Node.js outperforms Ruby by a drastic amount.
              Old June 10th, 2017 (2:05 PM). Edited June 10th, 2017 by BadSamaritan.
              Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
                Quote:
                No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs. And I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript.
                Much of those issues were when the software launched, the updates since then have fixed most of that. Also I've had two pc's that had issues with Rmxp, so it's not like that's inherently better.

As far as ruby compared to JavaScript is concerned, it's not really a matter of which you like better. I LIKE ruby more than JavaScript myself as well, but when it comes to trying to make a kit that's as accessible as possible, it's always better to use the most popular and widespread language possible. Just think about the fact that Essentials probably would have been ported to a better system by now, if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses.

Edit: Also to the OP. If you're looking for TCG sprites to use, even if albeit placeholders, there's someone on DA I follow whose done quite a few sprite overs of the older cards. Here is the link to her gallery -

http://speedxaaa.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

In addition, I'm sure you can use any of the art that was made for the kit FL posted, if you ask permission.

Demo coming August 20!
                Old June 11th, 2017 (5:43 AM).

Quote:
                  If you're looking for TCG sprites to use, even if albeit placeholders, there's someone on DA I follow whose done quite a few sprite overs of the older cards. Here is the link to her gallery - *snip*
                  This person's pixel art is on point.
                  Old June 13th, 2017 (7:47 AM).
                  Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
                    As far as ruby compared to JavaScript is concerned, it's not really a matter of which you like better. I LIKE ruby more than JavaScript myself as well, but when it comes to trying to make a kit that's as accessible as possible, it's always better to use the most popular and widespread language possible. Just think about the fact that Essentials probably would have been ported to a better system by now, if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses.
                    I agree, just countered the statement "RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way.". MV isn't the same thing that VX Ace was to VX (excluding the perfomance problem on VXA I guess). I also disagree about the statement "if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses". Ruby is generally on language popularity top 10, currently was on position 11 in latest TIOBE ranking.
                    Old June 20th, 2017 (3:33 AM).

I think that is a swell idea, XP because that is what Essentials is built for and is the best RPG Maker program to date due to numerous features that are exclusive to it and it's not too expensive to get. If this project of yours becomes real it could mean even better RPGXP games while also bringing back a favorite feature of mine from another equally great but always changing franchise, in Digimon World 3 you can play the Card Game.
                      Old July 4th, 2017 (12:56 AM).

wow!TCG Pokemon! I like it!But in my city,it seems that people doesn't like tcg pokemon very much.I guess there are the reasons:1.the most important one,maybe because it isn't as multiple as the traditional pokemon game,eg weather,skills,level and mega.2.The traditional pokemon game in my opinion is a RPG,in a RPG,collect pokemon and grow them up are very important part.
                        So,if you want to make the game,you can do a survey about "there are how many people liking it".
                        umm,about which of RPGMaker,i think XP or VA,but not VX,because VX is said to be a transitional version from xp to va.I prefer VA because of the user interface.
                        umm,my summer holiday was just starting,i have many free time and i know ruby and rgss,if you need help,maybe i can help you.
                        (i am a Chinese who is poor of English,there must be many Syntax errors in this reply,hope you not mind.)
                        Old July 21st, 2017 (3:48 PM).

Nature: Quiet
                          Hopefully this will be started because it's a great idea!
                          Old July 22nd, 2017 (2:56 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Jirachii. View Post
                            Hopefully this will be started because it's a great idea!
                            It has been started already, but progress is real slow as I don't have a lot of spare time right now. This should change soonish, though.
                            I decided to go ahead and use RMMV, not only because of the performance improvements over XP and VXAce, but also purely because it's the newest version of the software. I don't really want to use outdated versions which are no longer being developed. RMMV also gives use the ability to make any improvements to the main engine we went, as it's all open-source.
                            Old July 25th, 2017 (11:18 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Epidal View Post
                              It has been started already, but progress is real slow as I don't have a lot of spare time right now. This should change soonish, though.
                              I decided to go ahead and use RMMV, not only because of the performance improvements over XP and VXAce, but also purely because it's the newest version of the software. I don't really want to use outdated versions which are no longer being developed. RMMV also gives use the ability to make any improvements to the main engine we went, as it's all open-source.
                              Cannot wait for it!
                              Old January 10th, 2018 (12:00 PM).
                              Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.

Nature: Sassy
                                How is this TCG GB reboot going jirachi? What do u need help with? Im obsessed with the original tcg game and would love to contribute!! Sprite revamp, music files, overworld sprites revamp? Attack animations? Please let me know

"Strong Pokemon, Weak Pokemon. A real trainer should win with the pokemon they likes best." - Karen, Elite Four

"In ancient times, pokemon battles were a ritual that humans used to learn about and accept one another." - Man from Shalour City
                                Old January 10th, 2018 (2:25 PM).
                                Composer, Spriter, Fakemon Artist

I could help with graphics too.

Always looking for fangames projects. I'm everywhere.
                                  Old January 16th, 2018 (9:28 AM).
                                  The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
                                  The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D is offline

I think this idea will take off more than you think if done right lol

Quick Reply