• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most hackeable ROM.

Which version is the most hackable?

• Ruby

Votes: 54 28.9%
  • Sapphire

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Emerald

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Fire Red

Votes: 110 58.8%
  • Leaf Green

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 9, 2009
Emerald is good for hacking...
It depends HOW you hack it.
If you start deleting all the sh*t it has, you'll have plenty of space for your stuff.
To hack Emerald right you need to remove a lot of data.
In my opinion... Hacking Ruby is like the n00bish choice lol
It's the easiest one to hack IMO (I'm talking about other stuff than just maps, tilesets and sprites)
FireRed's and Ruby's titlescreens are harder to hack, as compared to LeafGreens and Sapphires :P
And i'm talking about no tile-map editing here, just plain simple hacking the titlescreen.

I think the winner here is Ruby, but I take Ruby being the n00bish rom choice, and Emerald being the hardest, although it's equally as hackable as the rest if you know how to hack it properly ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Emerald is good for hacking...
It depends HOW you hack it.
If you start deleting all the sh*t it has, you'll have plenty of space for your stuff.
To hack Emerald right you need to remove a lot of data.
In my opinion... Hacking Ruby is like the n00bish choice lol
It's the easiest one to hack IMO (I'm talking about other stuff than just maps, tilesets and sprites)
FireRed's and Ruby's titlescreens are harder to hack, as compared to LeafGreens and Sapphires :P
And i'm talking about no tile-map editing here, just plain simple hacking the titlescreen.

I think the winner here is Ruby, but I take Ruby being the n00bish rom choice, and Emerald being the hardest, although it's equally as hackable as the rest if you know how to hack it properly ;)

Omg are you freaking serious xD
Removing stuff from a Rom makes it even less stable, you obviously don't know what you're even talking about.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 9, 2009
I never said that deleting data from the rom makes it more stable ;)
I said it gives you plenty of space for your stuff by removing data.
And obviously, carefully look at what you remove.
Removing unused FireRed music frees you a good ammount of space, making the rom much lighter.
A friend of mine is hacking emerald... and in order to work well with the rom he has removed
music and maps, since he is re-inserting stuff of his own.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I never said that deleting data from the rom makes it more stable ;)
I said it gives you plenty of space for your stuff by removing data.
And obviously, carefully look at what you remove.
Removing unused FireRed music frees you a good ammount of space, making the rom much lighter.
A friend of mine is hacking emerald... and in order to work well with the rom he has removed
music and maps, since he is re-inserting stuff of his own.

Emerald is unstable because Nintendo didn't make it from scratch. They practically took a Ruby or Sapphire Rom, revamped some stuff, added some new tiles, added the movie scene, and added a few Overworlds.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 9, 2009
They didn't revamp a rom... thats silly lol
They grabbed the original Pokemon RS source code and started to update it from there.
I just don't get what the hell people are talking about when saying Emerald is unstable XD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
They didn't revamp a rom... thats silly lol
They grabbed the original Pokemon RS source code and started to update it from there.
I just don't get what the hell people are talking about when saying Emerald is unstable XD

Because...it...is?

I wouldn't go around saying that its stable, when there are hundreds of other hackers saying that it isn't.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 9, 2009
Hundreds of other hackers just repeat what their n00b neighbor hacker said lol
Seriously, why would Nintendo make each game from scratch? they have something to work on...
If they would have made each version from scratch, they wouldn't be that compatible with each version when you connect them through a link cable.
Emerald wasn't made from scratch... but neither was Sapphire.
They all popped out of the same source code. They developed the game and then modified differently for each version to pop out Ruby and Sapphire, then did the same for Emerald... But Emerald was a little different.
This case was different, because FireRed and LeafGreen where made out of the RS source, they all use the same engine. If you research FRLG you'll find leftovers from RS, and so you will find leftovers of FRLG in Emerald.
Emerald was the last one to pop off the source code, though I still don't know what the hell happened here, not sure. They already had the RS games done, so they just needed to do some modifications to the programming to make FRLG.
FR/LG have leftovers from Ruby and Sapphire, and Emerald has leftovers from FR/LG, plus the completely new parts for Emerald.
Emerald has all RS sprites, overworlds, and all GBA gen music.
Just consider it being a Ruby rom, with twice the ammount of voicegroups and tracks... and some FRLG sprites that were found XD and that takes up more space in the rom, but Nintendo wouldn't bother with this, since they just probably made the game thinking "Why waste time deleting this? Let's just leave it unused, no kid playing Emerald will find out." The thing is, we hackers did find out that XD
Emerald still has plenty of free space though...
FRLG has all RSE trainer sprites too, but I think it has something to do with the e-Cards?
Not sure about that last one...
But yeah, I don't find emerald being unstable... I find it more messy compared to the rest.
I guess you could also call that unstable XD

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 9, 2009
I haven't tried scripting in Emerald... at least yet.
Haven't touched or talked about that one XD But i'd assume you'll possibly use the same commands as in RSFRLG, except for some few ones that might be different, just like those special commands each different for RS and FRLG.
Now that was a good question XDD lol
I'll check that on Emerald sometime soon....

Years
Well there you go, I've found the most trouble with Emerald when it came to scripting.

Why would scripting be harder?
Scripting commands are generally the same over the 5 games of the third generation. The only things that differ over the games are the 'special's that are usable, but most of them are common. Honestly, I haven't tried doing much scripting in an Emerald rom, since I was starting, but unless there's some incompatibility between a program and rom, scripting should be equally as easy/difficult(depends which way you see it) in any third gen. game.

PS... The Ruby Grass animations are in a Fire Red rom.....

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Why would scripting be harder?
Scripting commands are generally the same over the 5 games of the third generation. The only things that differ over the games are the 'special's that are usable, but most of them are common. Honestly, I haven't tried doing much scripting in an Emerald rom, since I was starting, but unless there's some incompatibility between a program and rom, scripting should be equally as easy/difficult(depends which way you see it) in any third gen. game.

PS... The Ruby Grass animations are in a Fire Red rom.....

I've tried adding a single new script into a fresh emerald rom, it crashed as soon as I added the script. ( It was a simple text script )

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
you guys sure did a great job breaking the do-not-revive-a-month-old-thread rule.

*reports*

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Well, it isn't a month old anymore :D
So I can post... :D
Anyways... I think that Fire Red is the best.. Well not the best but my favourite...
Oh wells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back