• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Mirage Of Tales

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
ZGT4lPC.png

Introduction

Some of you might remember a hilariously awful hack from 2013-2014 named "Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns". Inspired by my love of class-based RPGs and "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, I started the project after having just discovered ROM hacking, and was too excited to jump right in. Thus, there was next to no planning and I was learning how to hack (and making things up) as I went along, so naturally, it was simply horrible to play.

I removed the download links because the demos from 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 no longer reflect my standard of work now. The project has been started and restarted many times, first based on FireRed, then Emerald, and today it is based on the Pokéemerald decompilaton.

Over the years, I've been working hard to improve my skills in every aspect of ROM hacking and recreate my original vision. I filtered out what didn't work, and added what did. It's always been a solo project in the past but in 2020, mgriffin became my partner in developing the game. That's enough of a history lesson now, I think. Welcome to Mirage Of Tales 2.0!

Setting

qraiygw.png

Avlar is a peaceful country with a rich history, famed for its vast woodlands, rolling hills and towering mountains. You play the role of an orphaned eighteen year old who was lucky enough to gain a scholarship at the Pokémon Trainer Academy in Umber Valley, a quaint little town situated in what's known as the Ore District.

The day of your graduation comes, and it's time for you sit your final exam, get a job and go out into the big wide world with your Pokémon by your side. Which profession will you choose? What kind of person will you become? It's all up to you. Every decision you make has the potential to change the course of your experience.

Careers

Should you want to, you have the ability to choose your own trainer class. Each different profession has its own distinct objectives, missions and storyline branches.
Choose wisely - you can only pick one!

Trainer
The "default" profession, you are automatically granted this title on the day of your graduation. You'll have no boss to do things for and no HQ to report back to. If you'd like to play Mirage Of Tales the way you'd play a traditional Pokémon game, having freedom without constraints, this is the path best suited to you!

Rogue
Like Trainers, these lone criminals are their own bosses. Trainers can obtain the Rogue title by committing small crimes or tricking people into getting what they want.

Ranger
You have the option of joining the Avlar region's widely respected Ranger Union. Your duties as a Pokémon Ranger will involve protecting endangered Pokémon, taking care of the environment and helping those in need.

Researcher
Join Avlar's Research team and become a Pokémon Researcher! You'll be doing field work or collecting all-important data for your Pokédex, and you'll even be whisked away to exclusive unexplored areas.

*Note: other Careers included in previous releases will be added later as expansions.

Screenshots

Tky0J8K.gif
yKmdFmR.png
ae4gk8d.gif
nMB1oN8.png
wKkUvci.gif

1rNj71t.gif
TtoKBa9.png
dTVJkLT.gif
gbQ7kVj.gif
lMg2ZlN.gif

qMWxkhi.png
Dw3BBND.gif
9UIsr1B.gif
pR1m7IK.gif
MtQKmq6.gif

pq8FGip.png
3yUQowk.gif
8HuiS8e.gif
9kt2jSw.gif
Tbt71Qg.gif

EltaKCq.png
pyZQk4g.png
kyElqvE.gif
MpORA4g.gif
qAppyj3.png

Features

• Choice based gameplay; every in-game decision can alter the story in some way
  • mgriffin's custom AI for battles
  • Time & Seasons
  • An alignment system; choose your character's personality
  • Overworld wild Pokémon encounters like LGPE
  • Houses you can own
  • New Moves and Abilities, updated to Gen 7
  • The Physical/Special/Status split and Fairy type
  • Over 100 custom items and my very own Berries
  • Custom regional variants for some Pokémon
  • A regional Pokédex including our favourite Pokémon from all generations
  • Custom sprites for Trainers/OWs and updated Pokémon sprites for a fresh new look
  • Various quality of life changes, such as EXP gain upon Pokémon capture
  • Many other secrets that I am not willing to spoil!

Credits

If I have forgotten you, please let me know! I would never leave you out intentionally. Writing the storyline(s), mapping, scripting, trainer/OW/item sprites, general user interface graphics, and anything else not listed below was done by me.
  • mgriffin - For more code related things than I could possibly count, helping me perfect the OW sprites, and generally being an absolute legend. If you see an amazing feature in the game - safe to assume it's because of him.
  • Pret & all PokéRuby/PokéEmerald contributors - For the decomp
  • DizzyEgg - Battle Engine Upgrade, Pokémon Expansion & Item Expansion
  • Myself, Nex, Zeo254, Magiscarf, Hek, Flurmimon, Alistair, Chaoticcherrycake, ThatsSoWitty, Alucus - Tiles
  • Myself, MGriffin, Princess-Phoenix, Kyledove, LarryTurbo - Pokemon OWs
  • Ghoulslash - Sideways stairs
  • Xhyzi - Dynamic OW Palettes
  • animeoverlord - Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
  • Chaos Rush & MrDollSteak - The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource (Sugimori Palettes)
  • DreamOrDestruction - Suggesting the title "Mirage Of Tales", which I would never have thought of by myself
  • Tunak - Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
  • ranger016 - Suggesting the addition of the Ranger career and providing ideas
  • The Discord regulars - we love you guys

Community

Our Discord server is where we post weekly updates. Meaningful updates will be posted here, but if you'd like to follow day-to-day progress on MoT or chat about the game you would be more than welcome to join.

Download

Soon.

Last edited:

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
whoa, the ideas for this game sound so fantastic, I'm literally sitting here with my jaw open just thinking about it. I have a feeling that this game isn't going to come out for a while (due to the many routes one can take while playing), but it will be a good one. I wish you good luck on completing this game. :15:

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
The idea is really interesting.
As I can see in the screenshots. The game looks good so far.
I like the way you map, but It's like a little less-life, sort of.
Oh well, another FireRed hack. People hack FireRed for easy
reasons, still I love 3rd gen better. Anyways, keep that up.
I'll be looking forward for the complete progress of the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Thank you so much, i really appreciate the feedback.

How could I improve the maps?

Does anyone know if the name Fire Agate is taken by another hack? I've searched but can't find one.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Yeah this is one of the best ideas I've seen for a hack. Really can't wait to see an alpha or a beta. this is like some next level pokemon stuff, keep it up :D

Plus I'd be happy to be a beta tester as well :)

Semyaza

Lurker Extraordinaire
Years
The idea is a promising one. It will be interesting to see whether or not your vision bears satisfactory fruit (for you as well as us).

Good luck with this project. :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
wow this hack is really look amazing :O
the story up to the player :o
this really new , hope you didn't stop in halfway cause i think it need much work to do

for the title maybe Pokemon : My Dream
since is up to player what career it want to be :)
wish you luck to finish this hack :)

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
This sounds like this is gonna be quite awesome with the different decisions that one can make. For a name what about Pokemon:Mirage Of Tales or Pokemon: Book Of Dreams or something another. Heh anyways, im looking forward to the game hope you finish this project. If you need a beta tester I would gladly lend assistance so anyways good luck.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Ooh, I like mirage of tales. Thank you! It's going well so far, but at the moment I only have events that can go one or two ways, and I'm trying to make them go more ways in newer scripts if that makes sense haha

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I like the mapping it's simple yet elegant and the storyline seems good ! best of luck

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
Hmm is progress still going on for this hack as it has a lot of potential. I hope it doesn't end up being scrapped or something it would be waste. If not I can't wait until you have something to show for your effort.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Working on it as we speak! =) I am planning to release an alpha soon. Not a short alpha though, I only want to have like 1 alpha release 1 beta release then the final release rather than having 37636 betas.

Alpha will go up to the 5th Gym (if you want to do the gyms) or if youre not interested in doing the gyms the alpha will stop after an area called Verlume Villas.

Hope to have a release nxt week once its perfect and I add a few more trainers in =)

Back