• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: I'm Fixin' It: The Roaming Legendaries IV Glitch

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Brief Intro

Almost all 3rd generation games have a glitch which will result in extremely low IVs for all roaming legendaries: Latios in Ruby, Latias in Sapphire and Entei/Raikou/Suicune in FR/LG. If you paid attention, I said almost all games; that's because the glitch got indeed fixed in Emerald.

Description

The glitched IVs are the result of a buggy code: only 8 out of 30 bits will be saved into the wild data upon meeting the Pokémon. This means only the HP IV will be stored correctly along with the first 3 bits of the Attack IV. Everything else will be set to 0.

While the IVs are stored the wrong way, the IVs are still stored correctly into a special, reserved RAM area. So, with a bit of effort and patience, one could theoretically recover the proper IVs and manually fix his/her roaming Pokémon.

I'm not even going to post the original routine because it's pretty long and... useless, anyway. I'll just show you the fixed one directly (using FR US v1.0 as example):

Code:
[div="font-family:consolas, courier new,monospace"]08040a92  6821 ldr r1, [r4, #0x0]
08040a94  6069 str r1, [r5, #0x4]
08040a96  e020 b $08040ada[/div]

Using a hex editor, simply replace 21 78 1F 24 0A 1C with 21 68 69 60 20 E0. The offsets are below.

The Offsets

• FireRed/LeafGreen US v1.0

Code:
    [div="font-family:consolas,courier new,monospace"]0x40A92[/div]
  • Ruby/Sapphire US v1.0

Code:
    [div="font-family:consolas,courier new,monospace"]0x3D89A[/div]

This research document is Copyright © 2010 by HackMew.
You are not allowed to copy, modify or distribute it without permission.

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Although it's a bit random, that's an impressive find- good job, HackMew :)

Well, thanks but I wasn't the first to discover the glitch. However, I was the first to find a fix, apparently :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2013
Could you make a video/walkthrough demonstrating how to do this? Your tech level is far superior to mine...

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Could you make a video/walkthrough demonstrating how to do this? Your tech level is far superior to mine...

I swear, if people would just read it through a few times instead of giving up after not reading the whole thing, you'd find your answers:

Using a hex editor, simply replace 21 78 1F 24 0A 1C with 21 68 69 60 20 E0. The offsets are below.
  • FireRed/LeafGreen US v1.0

Code:
    0x40A92
  • Ruby/Sapphire US v1.0

Code:
    0x3D89A

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Roaming legendaries IV glitch proposal - A dark knight's path

Hello everyone I just want to have a small discussion on this topic pertaining to R/S/FR/LG.
This affects the roaming Pokemon of these games having most of their stats having 0 IVs sparring only HP stats and a dwarf-sized attack stat.
From my understanding, the IVs are predetermined so-to-speak from the beginning of the game; correct me if I am wrong.

What I want to know is after the fact of your roaming Pokemon already being caught, is the data pertaining to its correct IVs that have not been copied over correctly when you encounter/capture it, still accessible?

Reason being, it may sound like an oxymoron on trying to be legitimate yet seeking justice in their own hands, I think it would be a great idea to create a tool that utilized the player's game and correct the Pokemon that has already been caught to match what rightfully belongs to them.

Here is a thread from a few years ago that has touched base on the idea but it hasn't seen enough light to the extent of its usefulness:
Development: I'm Fixin' It: The Roaming Legendaries IV Glitch

Perhaps someone or a group of you would be interested in taking up this idea and making it really happen? Would other people find this useful?

The simplest fix I can imagine is based on the version, country, color and roaming Pokemon of the game that you possess, the tool would look up the correct area where the data is stored and translate it to reveal the stats as clear as day to the user. This wouldn't even require you having to fix the stats yourself. A player could be left with the rest of the work via hex-editor or some other gibberish. This tool would really help those who already caught their roaming Pokemon who wants them to be normal.

If you wanna get fancy, you can have the tool follow specific rules where it would look up and fix the roaming Pokemon directly. But just being able to see the stats needed is good enough. Thoughts? Any objections? Could I be wrong about that information still being available after the Pokemon is caught and determined to be poop? The funny scenario would be to find out your weak roaming Pokemon was actually supposed to be that way. Bwahaha..

Which of your Pokemon are you wanting to fix?
I wonder if Nintendo only allows the weak and mistreated roaming Pokemon from R/S/FR/LG to be transferred to the Pokemon Bank? Food for thought..
I appreciate anybody taking the time for not just reading but LOOKING at all this.

Years
Hello everyone I just want to have a small discussion on this topic pertaining to R/S/FR/LG.
This affects the roaming Pokemon of these games having most of their stats having 0 IVs sparring only HP stats and a dwarf-sized attack stat.
From my understanding, the IVs are predetermined so-to-speak from the beginning of the game; correct me if I am wrong.

What I want to know is after the fact of your roaming Pokemon already being caught, is the data pertaining to its correct IVs that have not been copied over correctly when you encounter/capture it, still accessible?

Reason being, it may sound like an oxymoron on trying to be legitimate yet seeking justice in their own hands, I think it would be a great idea to create a tool that utilized the player's game and correct the Pokemon that has already been caught to match what rightfully belongs to them.

Here is a thread from a few years ago that has touched base on the idea but it hasn't seen enough light to the extent of its usefulness:
Development: I'm Fixin' It: The Roaming Legendaries IV Glitch

Perhaps someone or a group of you would be interested in taking up this idea and making it really happen? Would other people find this useful?

The simplest fix I can imagine is based on the version, country, color and roaming Pokemon of the game that you possess, the tool would look up the correct area where the data is stored and translate it to reveal the stats as clear as day to the user. This wouldn't even require you having to fix the stats yourself. A player could be left with the rest of the work via hex-editor or some other gibberish. This tool would really help those who already caught their roaming Pokemon who wants them to be normal.

If you wanna get fancy, you can have the tool follow specific rules where it would look up and fix the roaming Pokemon directly. But just being able to see the stats needed is good enough. Thoughts? Any objections? Could I be wrong about that information still being available after the Pokemon is caught and determined to be poop? The funny scenario would be to find out your weak roaming Pokemon was actually supposed to be that way. Bwahaha..

Which of your Pokemon are you wanting to fix?
I wonder if Nintendo only allows the weak and mistreated roaming Pokemon from R/S/FR/LG to be transferred to the Pokemon Bank? Food for thought..
I appreciate anybody taking the time for not just reading but LOOKING at all this.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with this thread as it directly relates to the content of this thread, and the thread revival rule does not apply in Research & Development, so an entire new thread isn't necessary, and future people looking for similar information won't have to find multiple threads.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Spoiler:

Why would one want to do this? The roaming legendaries are all available multiple times in later games (with the Lati twins even being in Emerald with the correct IVs), and if you're looking to transfer them, it'll be obvious that their IVs (at least in the legendary beasts' case, as the other Lati is available on Southern Island with correct IVs in R/S) were tampered with when looking at which game they originated from along with the IVs. It seems like a lot of work for something that is comparatively minor and doesn't really affect anything anymore. You would have a case if it was still Gen 3 and the availability of these Pokemon were limited, but not really anymore.

Back