• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Songs in another language

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
Do you listen to songs with lyrics in other languages, even if it's not your native language? What are some songs you like in other languages?

I have a lot of Japanese songs (many of them Vocaloid) and even a few in fictional languages. 2 songs in particular I like, I have absolutely no idea what they're saying, but they're such good bops.

That bpm shift... I'm a sucker for tempo/bpm shifts. The drops in this too are so good. I tried to learn 1 line from the song so at least now I can say "Hey yo one for the blood, two for the life, chi ga naki mono ni wa ashita wa nai gimme da blood"

I CANNOT EXPRESS how much I love this song. The singer's growls are amazing and the song is so bouncy and catchy, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and start bouncing around to it. It's one of my favorite songs by t+pazolite and if I understood Japanese, it would easily be my favorite of all his songs.

Years
I would say nearly half of the songs I listen to are in languages I can't understand!!!

I listen to an awful lot of K-pop and J-pop/rock, in fact some of my favourite / most listened to artists are from the east!

Eurovision is huge passion of mine, and my playlists are filled with foreign songs because of that too. Sadly, not many sing in their own languages these days :(

A lot of folksy medieval type stuff never seems to be in English either, so I listen to foreign language music A LOT!!!

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
I listen to a fair amount of songs that are either completely in other languages or just have some parts in others.

À Tout le Monde by Megadeth is a good song, though there's only one phrase in French sung in the chorus. I also like For Evigt by Volbeat, the song is mostly in English but the chorus is in Danish which is their native tongue.

Th Hu is also good, adding some Mongolian metal to the mix. I've found them and a bunch of other artists who sing songs in other languages all over YouTube. Ai Mori does a good Russian cover of Evanescence among many other covers.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I'd say that at least 83% of what I listen to is not in my native language.

I mostly don't care about the language of what I listen to. I usually listen to Metal, the kind one could call "extreme". Whether the lyrics are in my native language, or a language I know, or a language I don't know, I won't be able to understand a word they say without having the lyrics in front of my eyes ^^"

However, one cool side effect, is that listening to a band in a language I don't know will trigger my curiosity, and I will want to be able to read their lyrics. I learned the Cyrillic alphabet just to read and pronounce the lyrics of one of my favourite bands, whose lyrics are in Ukrainian (not even Russian, Ukrainian lol). But don't be mistaken: I don't understand what I read ^^
Spoiler:

Th Hu is also good, adding some Mongolian metal to the mix.
I know this band, but I never understood how they got the label "Metal"... I listened to a few songs, and I barely heard guitars or growls or blast beats or anything that could give a hint of metal-ness ^^"
So maybe I missed the Metal songs and only got to hear the non-Metal ones? ^^"

Last edited:

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
I know this band, but I never understood how they got the label "Metal"

I wouldn't exactly call them a metal band, but some of their work would definitely fall under the category of metal. Ignoring their cover of Metallica's Sad But True, the main song of theirs that comes to mind as being "metal" is Wolf Totem. But I would agree that I don't really see them as a metal band and I think most of the people labeling all of their work as metal probably only heard that one song lol. I'd say they're more folk-rock and I'd even say that Yuve Yuve Yu as a bit of a blues feel to it.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Most of the music I listen to isn't in my mother tongue. It's all in Japanese, Korean, German, sometimes others.

I do listen to some English music, there's a couple of pop and rock artists that I like.

My playlists are all over the place.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Most of the songs I listen to are in English, German (German metal is fun) and maybe the occasional French.

None of which are my native language. In fact there are exceedingly few songs in my native language that I'd even consider listening to.

The music scene over here is very much not my thing.

Years
Yes, in fact the vast majority of my taste is German metal.
I do delve into kpop and jrock sometimes too.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
German metal is fun

I came here to say I absolutely agree.

So my native language is Spanish, but my list of favourite songs include a mixture of English, Catalan, Japanese and German... and the odd song in Greek too. Even if I don't understand the lyrics, I can really work with a good music.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
I rarely listen to English songs - game soundtracks aside, I really only listen to Jpop, Jrock and Kpop. Occasionally I might listen to other languages out of curiousity - French, Mandarin, Cantonese are some recent ones.

Some songs that I like:
Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i guess i'm a typical american bc i don't listen to a lot of music in another language. i used to listen to more, like spanish, japanese, korean, french (oh god i was into french lol)... nowadays there are still some spanish songs i like and japanese (they're usually just video game music or anime openings tho lol). i tend to prefer something i can understand the lyrics to, but i'll listen to anything that i enjoy the sound of tbh. i guess i just don't seek it out as much as i used to bc i used to just listen to anything to seem cool and indie lmfao.

Years
So the obvious one for me will be Japanese. J-Rock and J-Pop are a huge part of my music library and always have been. Otherwise, I'd say that actually I'm really into German and French songs, especially the latter. French really does lend itself as the language of Romance and it really makes songs shine at times.

Back