• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen There were a few things about Emerald that i didnt like compared to the original RS

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 11, 2022
1.The character redesigns. I liked the originals more. Both brendan and may had the pokeball symbol on their headbands and Brendan's felt like a natural progress from GSC cooltrainer design. May was also consistent with the anime version. I didnt like how they changed them to be more "emerald" if you get what i mean, if it aint broken dont fix it.

2.Juan/Wallace: I prefered it when Steven was the champion and Wallace was the 8th gym leader. I never understood why they changed it.

3.Pokemon trades pokeball. This is a nitpick even for me but i dont understand whyc they removed the rotating pokeball during RS trades in Emerald.

4.Battle Tower music. The orginal RS already had a remix of the BT from Crystal and it was fantastic but in Emerald they remixed it again and i didnt like that version as much.

Years
2.Juan/Wallace: I prefered it when Steven was the champion and Wallace was the 8th gym leader. I never understood why they changed it.

Personally this would be my only complaint but I guess it's to keep it fresh like the way they changed some gym leaders from BW to B2W2. Steven is honestly the coolest champion from any pokemon game ever so going from Steven to Wallace is... more than a little disappointing.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
the character redesigns didn't bother me, especially considering this was the first generation to actually do so with their deluxe version. platinum follows suit and changes dawn and lucas' outfits (which i vastly prefer to DP but anyway). i can't say i have a preference in RS and E's case, but i like both designs. thinking about it now though, emerald and platinum are the only deluxe versions to redesign the protagonists... BW2 have new ones entirely, XY has no deluxe, and USUM also have new protags. interesting lol.

as for the change in champion, it's not something i minded either. depending on the team you take into either league, wallace or steven can prove to be rather challenging. i guess i find steven a little more difficult just because metagross is a hell of a pokemon to contend with. but anyway, it's just something that shows growth between the games. plus it gives emerald the opportunity to have that whole. bonus final battle with steven, a la red in GSC. kind of neat.

never cared about battle tower though so i don't have anything to say there. and the trade thing, despite trading in gen 3 all the time, i never even noticed that tbh lol. i think i overall prefer emerald, but i still just group the three games together in my mind bc there isn't all that much separating them, not enough notable things anyway. hate the pickup nerf in emerald and beyond, though. amassing an army of zigzagoon to pickup nuggets and rare candies to just stomp all over the game is so fun aha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Wasn't really bothered by the protagonist redesigns, they're basically the same anyway, just different clothes. The OR/AS ones, though, in comparison are just better, in my opinion and do not compare.

Ngl Wallace > Steven. But then again I'm always a gay for fabulous men who like beauty, so I'm bias, tbh. Both Champions were fine, in my eyes. Juan, though? They really could have done more with him? He didn't really do anything besides just fill in the gap to where Wallace used to be.

As for the Battle Tower music, I'm indifferent, don't really care. Never got far in the Battle Tower anyway. Emerald is my favorite Pokemon game, though, so almost every I'm saying is extremely bias, anyway, so lmfao.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2021
I think Wallace was a cool idea for a champion. Hoenn is the most water-filled region with a variety of powerful Water types, so a Water-type champion is a great way to show that. The problem is... Hoenn in Emerald still has a Water type 8th gym leader. One whose team is incredibly similar to Wallace's Ruby/Sapphire team.

Gamefreak should have added a completely new gym leader with their own typing. A Ground type gym leader would have worked well; give them Flygon as an ace.

Wallace's team could have also been a bit tougher. Sub out Wailord and Whiscash for Kingdra and Swampert.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 11, 2022
Personally this would be my only complaint but I guess it's to keep it fresh like the way they changed some gym leaders from BW to B2W2. Steven is honestly the coolest champion from any pokemon game ever so going from Steven to Wallace is... more than a little disappointing.

steven also had more team diversity, it was mostly Steel but the idea was minerals and earthly stuff in general

I think Wallace was a cool idea for a champion. Hoenn is the most water-filled region with a variety of powerful Water types, so a Water-type champion is a great way to show that. The problem is... Hoenn in Emerald still has a Water type 8th gym leader. One whose team is incredibly similar to Wallace's Ruby/Sapphire team.

Gamefreak should have added a completely new gym leader with their own typing. A Ground type gym leader would have worked well; give them Flygon as an ace.

Wallace's team could have also been a bit tougher. Sub out Wailord and Whiscash for Kingdra and Swampert.

But Hoen is also filled with mountains and a dessert. Its 50/50

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Having all the Contests take place in Lilycove City was a really great change it got tiresome having to Fly are Hoenn in Ruby & Sapphire to compete in each rank of each Contest in different cities, I also liked the fact you could battle both Team Aqua & Team Magma.

I just prefer Emerald more than Ruby & Sapphire.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
The only point on which I disagree with you is Wallace as Champion. Look, time (and OR/AS) made me like Steven less than I used to, but I've always liked Wallace. Yes, his team could be tougher, but even back then he gave me one hell of a fight - partly because there's so few good Grass- and Electric-types in the Hoenn of the original games, and partly because his Milotic takes hits like a champ. On everything else, though, I agree. Some of the changes were unnecessary, especially the protagonists' redesigns.

Back